“A must see if you like cartoons or art”

Bunker Cartoon Gallery
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bunker Cartoon Gallery is Australia's only dedicated cartoon gallery. It is housed in a genuine World War 2 underground bunker which was constructed in 1943 as a communications facility for the R.A.A.F. Today it is a quirky exhibition space with regularly changing exhibitions of funny and insightful cartoons from Australian and international cartoonists. The Bunker is also the home of the Coffs Cartoon Collection which consists of around21,000 cartoons and is one of the largest collections of its type in world. Please note that the Bunker does show the occasional non-cartoon exhibition as part of its commitment to the local community.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Melbourne
641 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 558 helpful votes
“A must see if you like cartoons or art”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had been told of this place by the Manager of our accommodation. I was so glad we took a look. For a measly two dollars it was a gem. Shame the introduction video was worn and hard to view but we got the picture of how the place began. There is alot of artwork here and I enjoyed looking around and discussing works with my partner. Take a look, you won't regret it !

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Natalie1964

67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“A hidden treasure!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I came across the Bunker Cartoon Gallery at the local tourist information centre, by accident. It's not promoted widely which is a shame.
Entry is only $2!!
I spent an hour wandering through, checking out the many cartoon entries in the Rotary Cartoon awards...fascinating!
The Bunker is staffed by volunteers who are passionate & happy to show you around.
You can even purchase a high quality copy of your favourite cartoon.
The history of the Bunker is presented well in the short video & I learned a lot about the The role Coffs Harbour played in WW2.
An excellent way to while away an hour or so....highly recommended!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Bubbles-in-Oz
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Not what we expected”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We liked the cartoon comedy pictures on the wall but we thought it was going to be a different type of museum.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Shaz036
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Unique Bunker Gallery”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Originally built during the 2nd World War this Bunker has been turned into a vary successful art gallery. For the cost of a gold coin you can visit the gallery and learn about its origin. Exhibitions such as the Bald Archies, Portrait awards and many, many more are held here.

Visited January 2012
Ipswich
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“A fun attraction that draws you in”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

As a fan and collector of comics I was actually keen to visit the Bunker Cartoon Gallery. The $2.00 entry fee per adult seemed fair to me and I enjoyed my time viewing the current collection on show. The political cartoons in the folders that you can peruse (and purchase copies of if you want to) are an additional way to pass the time.

The unexpected pleasant surprise was learning about the bunker and the local area's history.

Visited March 2012