“Sometimes Predictable Chinese Food is Exactly What You Need!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Harbour Palace

Harbour Palace
Ranked #131 of 209 Restaurants in Coffs Harbour
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Description: This is a restaurant that has consistantly produced stunning meals with flavours you simply will not believe. I have visited this restaurant 8 or 9 times over as many years and have not had a single bad experience. If you want to try something different and are a little wary of doing that in case you get a bad meal, at the Harbour Palace you can order anything on the menu and KNOW you will enjoy the experience. A simply sensational Chinese restaurant. Book if you expect to be late... they DO get very busy but still offer fast table service as well as take away.
Sydney, Australia
“Sometimes Predictable Chinese Food is Exactly What You Need!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

When I could get no pizza place in Coffs Harbour to deliver to me, State of Origin night, raining, after a long day of work in a place I don't know well. I wanted nothing more than fast, easy, tasty food. I got it here. I found Harbour Place on the highway having ventured out from the hotel unwillingly and starving. I pulled in to the ample parking and called them for takeaway, they said it would be ready in 10 minutes and it was. The Beef and Black bean was exactly what it should be, piping hot, a good, predictable flavour, fresh ingredients. The special fried rice had good quality chunks of ham, pork and prawn, well seasoned and very tasty. The spring roles and sauce were what would expect from a good Chinese place. The person at the counter was fast and friendly. The only criticism I would have is that the food is definitely a bit over priced for what it was, I should have been able to get the three items I had for around $25 including drinks and it came in around $33. In all objectivity the food is somewhere between the rank of average and very good (Tripadvisor should offer this) but definitely on the upper end towards very good. That night though I didn't care. I wanted decent Chinese food and I got it from a place that appeared to be dishing out the well done basics. I'd go back to this place again and next time, on the way back to the hotel.

Visited July 2013

Port Macquarie NSW
“Amazing service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Have been to the Harbour Palace several times over the years and the food is always good. This time the service was even more remarkable than the food.

When we arrived the place was already fairly full and it continued to fill steadily throughout our meal, yet the menu was placed on our table instantly, drinks were brought within 2 minutes of ordering, the meal order was taken almost as soon as we had selected it and the food arrived at the table within minutes of that.

To be honest I have no idea how they did it, but certainly had no complaints and can still recommend this pace as a great quality top value Chinese restaurant.

Visited November 2012
Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

THE worst Chinese food I have ever eaten. Szechuan not even warm, vegetables way overcooked, squid almost inedible. Even the rice was gluggy. When we spoke to the owner? (a woman) she couldn't havve cared less. Pretty pricey, so we expected more. We were entertaining, so it was pretty embarrassing. Never again.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Marjie A
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Wish we known”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I wish we had read the review previously to this one although we may still have fronted as it did not mention the food. Sadly for us!
The staff were "direct" but not rude but hardly warm and inviting. The food came very quickly so if you want quick as you have somewhere to go, fine. Wine was expensive for pretty ordinary fare but then again, at least it was licensed. I am trying to say nice things.
The food...well my hot and sour soup was nice. The rest of the three dishes were the worst chinese food we had ever eaten. That is really saying something. No flavour, grossly overcooked and even the rice was gluggy. The next day we were still thirsty from the salt/MSG not sure but you know that feeling in your mouth.
It is hard to voice your displeasure but we did and received a grunt as recognition.
We would never return here. All four of us felt exactly the same way.
And again in the positive, we have at least a new benchmark for bad.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank DodgeElliot
Singapore, Singapore
“Rudest Staff I have ever come across- Worst restaurant experience ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is the worst restaurant I have ever visited in my life.

When my parents and I walked into the restaurant there were approx. 5 tables of people and the rest was empty. It was 7pm.

The woman at the front counter was too busy looking after take away customers to notice us. When my mother politely requested if we could take a seat in the restaurant, she was answered with a very direct and rude 'did you book'. She answered no and the woman huffed and told us to follow her.

She led us to a table for two, despite there being three of us. When I told her we needed a table for three, she remarked that we did not tell her this, and then we were led to a table for four...

The woman dumped us there and then took off.

I looked around the restaurant and noticed the woman running around frantically with no real purpose at all. There was another woman walking around and one guy popping in and out of the kitchen 'dropping off' plates of food on tables. It was completely disorganised and the mood was extremely tense.

I saw the woman just dump another dish on someone's table and walk off, hurrying past us like she was buying and selling shares before the market closed. It was ridiculous.

After 10minutes, and already disappointed at the way we were treated and spoken to coming into the restaurant, I made the mistake of requesting to order (how dare I).
I very bravely stopped the woman from running past us and I told her very politely that we were ready to order.

The woman put her finger up in front of me and said 'well you'll just have to wait a minute- I'm busy'. I said excuse me? She then raised her voice at me and said, well we are very busy and you didn't book!. By then I had heard just about enough. I stood up and told her that she was the rudest woman I had ever come across and how dare she speak to customers this way. That didn't worry her.

The woman then turned her back and ignored us as we stood there angry and upset at the way we had been treated.

We left the restaurant and went to another Chinese restaurant 5 mins away. We were treated with respect and the food was lovely.

I would never recommend the Harbour Palace to anyone. Not only were we treated like rubbish, but the decor was ratty, and the place looked cheap and out dated. Definitely not a good place to eat out.

Don't waste your time there!

4 Thank Parisian_Suitcase