“Yeeew!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Spot X
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Yeeew!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I came to Spot X as a lone traveller who'd previously only seen surfboards in pictures. Five days later I left as a confident - if still inexperienced - surfer, with a bunch of new friends to carry on touring Australia with.

Although by no means cheap, the courses are incredibly good value. For about $120 a day you are getting a bed, three (delicious) square meals a day, and fantastic quality surf coaching. Spot X is located in a bay which provides about as close to perfect conditions as a beginner surfer could hope for. The staff are friendly, happy to hang out both in and out of the water, and infectiously enthusiastic about surfing and teaching others to surf.

You spend pretty much the whole time outdoors. The accommodation consists of portacabins with furnishings on par with your average hostel. The doors don't lock, which is a little disconcerting but since everyone - guests and staff - are pretty well infected by the chilled out surfer mindset, if find it hard to imagine anyone would even think of trying to steal stuff.

The atmosphere around Spot X is incredibly relaxed; everyone is there to surf and just have a good time, and you'll make friends quickly. At least a couple of times a week the camp will throw a full-blown party but the rest of the time there's still plenty to do, like the ping pong and pool tables or any of the daily activities the staff organise in the afternoons.

To beginner surfers, I really can't recommend this place enough, and I'm sure veterans would have a great time here as well. It was the highlight of my stay in Australia, and I'm quite certain I'll be back again some day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

The staff at mojo surf spot x think that they are in fact the paying customers, on arrival we were greeted by the rudest receptionist I have ever come across. We were given no information about when our prepaid lessons or activities would take place no information on check out times, all standard practice!

For around 30 guests there was over 40 staff the majority of which didn't work professionally, the photographer on our surf lesson left before the end of the lesson and took about 20 pictures of 8 people in a hour and half he was there. The surf lesson was advised as a full day but was only 2 hours, I had a half day lesson in Byron bay with mojo's there and this was 4 hours long!

The activities were cancelled one day as the weather was "[--]" quote receptionist, being ever professional again. I respect that this was completely out of control but the one activity that could have happened in bad weather couldn't take place as they didn't have their mini bus. Simply checking the weather forecast may have prevented unhappy customers.

Mojo you need to sit your staff down and make sure they realise that this is not their surf camp but is for the people that have paid for the camp opportunity to have a party and not theirs!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Youngfoody
Dan M, General Manager at Spot X, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your experience at Spot X. I am based out of Spot X and we pride ourselves on our customer service and creating an awesome vibe for everyone. All of our staff a like minded travelers and enjoy the company of new guests coming through the camp on a regular basis. We make sure during our quiet times that our staff include all guests, especially when we have lower numbers to ensure that everyone has an awesome time.

We have set procedures of show arounds upon arrival where all information is provided, or if its a guided trip we have a guide with you the whole time. I have discussed your review with my office team to get some insight into the attitude that was displayed during your stay and have been assured that they are always friendly and welcoming, something I see from them on a daily basis. In saying this if you did catch them on a bad day please accept my sincere apologies.

With Photos our photographers are told to remain on the beach the whole time. On occasions where they get awesome shots of everyone they may take off a little early to start the uploading process. This is a system that will get your photos to you quicker and have them ready for you when you leave camp.

Activities are done daily and we have a designated activity leader that advises everyone at lunch and has it on an activities board what we will be doing. Most of our activities are held onsite so a van is not required. In the instance that our van was not here I am sure it was either on a trip with clients or getting its regular safety check for that day. We will only ever cancel activities if it is deemed unsafe to do them or the weather does not permit us to carry through. Safety is our main concern here at the camp and if we deem it necessary to cancel, it is based on our concerns for safety of all of our clients.

We love that our staff take pride and feel ownership of the camp. Many of our staff are on a cadet program and are travelling just like you. I see them entertain and enjoy the company of fellow travelers on a daily basis, again though if you felt that this was not your experience at Spot X I do apologise.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip in Australia.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Spot X is the perfect place to escape to for a weekend out of the city, or hopping off the bus to chill for a few days. Great facilities from dorm style cabins, to more luxurious chalets overlooking the sea with their own deck. Camping sites and teepee's were also available. If you are a family, group of mates or traveling on your own, the communal meals and facilities mean that it is easy to meet people, or hang sit around the fire pit. Hopefully someone will have a guitar!. Staff are great, really friendly. The surfing was awesome, mixture of lessons and the chance to grab a board and practice in spare time. Kayaking up the creek was really good fun, and if you are brave enough, skydive onto the beach from the Coffs Harbour airport.....

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

After 5 years in Australia.. I thought that it was about time I learned how to surf! A friend of mine highly recommended Mojosurf so I decided to book my surf weekend escapade with them! Turns out, they had a "Summer Festival" going on that week end... it was just perfect! Stunning surfcamp location in Coffs Harbour (with actual accommodation) and an amazing vibe throughout the all week end. There was plenty of entertainment organised by a very friendly and helpful staff! But you could also just chill in the hammocks if you didn't feel like participating in a volley ball game or slip & Slide fun or Kayaking session.. to name a few of the activities going on. At night there is a lovely campfire going on and there is always a guitar lying around, but since it was a summer festival weekend, Saturday night was a 70's theme, they had put up a massive stage and a few cool bands played live followed by a DJ to finish up the night! It was just a nice and fun atmosphere.
Now let me tell you about the surf... the instructors were amazing! pretty good at teaching you the tricks of the trade and very patient.. you will stand up!
So I got my first wave at Mojo surf.. and never looked back! I was hooked.. Even so that I came back home, got myself a board and started surfing everyday... and it makes me very happy! so very glad I took this decision to go on a trip and that i went with Mojo.
Since then.. I actually went back for their winter festival and had a blast as well!
Highly recommend it! :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I booked Mojo after hearing good things from a friend who had done a 5 day trip in March 13. I booked my trip after 5 days in Australia and absolutely loved it.

The best thing about Spot X is the people and atmosphere, there are people from all around the world and every person is always "Frothing". The day is spent surfing in an AM and PM session at 2 hours each. It doesn't sound much but after 5 days you feel you have your moneys worth!!

From day one I felt so welcome at camp and everyone's so relaxed and chilled out. It doesn't matter what your level of surfing is the instructors are great and will give you advice at anytime!

Another major plus point was the food, lunch is a mix of fresh meats, wraps, salads, pastas, cous cous etc. Dinner is varied and good quality with big portions! Just what you need after a long day surfing!

After 5 days I could stand up and ride the green waves all the way to the beach. I'm not a strong swimmer but the beach is perfect for beginners because the waves are so good and consistent.

I would definitely recommend Spot X to anyone wanting to pick up surfing, it's a great environment to be in and everyone including staff loves surfing.

At night time they have a camp fire and music, it's really nice to chill out after a long day! They also provide a free bus service every night for clients to go to the local shop.

YEEEEWW!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had such an amazing time at SpotX. Everyone over there was really nice and it was super easy to get into the Mojo family. From the first second I arrived I fell i n love with the place and the people and the next morning during my first lesson with surfing. The instructors did a really good job explaining everything on land and in the water. We were a group of 7 people and he managed to pay attention to every single person which why I improved a lot. During my first lesson I thought I would never manage to pop up on my board and that I was a totally talent free but already during my lesson in the afternoon I managed. SpotX is right at the beach and provides really nice and clean rooms. Besides they provide delicious food. During the night they got a little camp fire going which was exactly what I needed to warm up again and to relax after a pretty exhausting but totally awesome and fun day. We made some s'mores and just hang out. The atmosphere over there is really nice and chilled.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anne S
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Firstly, the people I met whilst on this trip were amazing, honestly I met some really really good friends from all walks of life and mojos is a great way to meet people. But unfortunately thats where it ends.

Mojos surf trips are totally overpriced. I paid $1000 for a week and for what??! A 10 share in a container?! I learnt hardly anything about surfing, infact I think I was a better surfer before I began this trip with the amount of alcohol I drank haha. Just another excuse to get drunk. I thought it would be a laid back surf trip where you could grab a board and go sit in the ocean and do things at your own pace but everything seemed regimented e.g. if you dont surf at your designated time then there isnt any other boards to use. One day I was slipping off the board because it was a greasy foamtop and i needed wax for grip, so I asked an instructor for wax and he just said sorry we havent got any, so basically i had to continue with an unsurfable board at the expense of a few scraps of a $2 piece of wax which is an essential tool in surfing. Laughable really. The instructors could barely be bothered to teach you anything at all to be honest, even answering a simple question seemed like an effort. The rooms/shipping containers were crampt and hot, full of sand usually with the front door just swinging open. Anyone could have easily walked into the room and swiped all valubles away and again the instructors would probably have just shrugged their shoulders.

If you want to learn how to surf just buy a second hand board and spend as much time in the ocean as possible, it will cost you 1/10 of the price of this trip. If you want to get drunk and party head directly to Byron bay, it'll cost you alot less and you'll have a better time. If youre over 25 dont even bother with this trip at all.

Room Tip: Choose another trip entirely.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Tony M
Dan M, General Manager at Spot X, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Hi Tony,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I cannot lie their is a party element to Spot X that comes with people on holidays having the time of their lives, congregating in a really cool place and getting along so well that good times seem to just happen.

None of our 10 bed dorms are shipping containers, however we do use 4 and 6 bed dorms that are converted shipping containers and are really quite comfortable. Unlike other places around the world we are blessed to be in an area that is not subject to theft so locking the doors are unnecessary. However in response to some people not feeling comfortable with this I always offer to lock valuables in my safe to ensure that you are comfortable during your stay.

Our $1000 trip is 7 days long and includes your bus travel from Sydney to Byron Bay, 2 2 hour surf lessons per, accommodation and 3 meals per day. When you break this down it is actually very reasonable for the inclusions.

We set lesson times in order to cater for the masses, which to some may seem regimented, however in reality its a way to organise our groups, ensure that all guests are accounted for and remain safe while in the water. After surfing for your two lesson per day if you have the energy to surf more then your trips will normally include board hire, but for most who have surfed enough for the day we offer other activities to give people a bit of variety and enjoy other aspects of our local environment.

All of our surf craft are made from a certain material that does not require wax. As you suggested wax is a vital part of the surfing experience, if you are surfing on a fibre glass board, but these boards that you are surfing on a stable ans sturdy and are designed for people who are learning to surf, so is the perfect vessel for what we are doing.

All of our instructors are super keen surfers that love mojo and living the dream. They are always keen to help and spread the surfing vibe so am shocked to hear that they didnt care. In saying this I will discuss with my Surf School Manager and ensure that all the staff in water are frothing out.

Spot X is one of those places that has a bit of everything. If you want the chilled out surfer vibe and chill around a camp fire, listen to tunes and surf at your leisure then this is available. If you want to do lessons and progress fast and focus on fitness and surfing then this is also available. For those that want to party and have a good time then this is also available. The beauty about this place is that it has it all and most people have a great time and get what they want from their stay with us.

Hopefully your still surfing and found what you are looking for out of your trip in Aus. All the best.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coffs Harbour
#7 of 45 in Coffs Harbour
Nautilus Beachfront Villas & Spa
Nautilus Beachfront Villas & Spa
#25 of 40 in Coffs Harbour

Been to Spot X? Share your experiences!