“Very peaceful” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jervis Bay Retreat

Jervis Bay Retreat
“Very peaceful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I don't write many reviews, but I felt I needed to for this place, because I think that some of the others here are a little unfair.

We booked at the last minute on wotif.com.au for one night on the Australia Day long weekend.
We stayed in the bank, which is called the spa room cottage on wotif.

The first thing that you notice is that there are very few rooms scattered over a very large area of bushland. This gives you a lot of privacy, as no-one walks past your room.

The bank itself was interesting, with some fine examples of old branded merchandise from the Wales bank in particular. It was clean, spacious, and unpretentious. A couple of nice touches included the selection of CDs and DVDs in the cottage, and the plentiful refridgerated water.

After a spa and a BBQ, we watched one of the DVDs and then settled in for the best night's sleep we have had in ages - it is so quiet here!

There have been a few complaints here saying that it is expensive, but considering the land area, quality of construction, and level of privacy brought about by the low number of cottages, I don't see how Brian and Sue could make a living charging any less.

Oh, bonus!
There were a couple of kangaroos on the track as we were driving out.

Room Tip: Next time I would like to stay in the General Store, because I am interested in the antiques on disp...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LukeOD
Suzanne B, Owner at Jervis Bay Retreat, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. These are most appreciated. We hope to see you again in the future.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

This place was quite disappointing. The units were dirty and decor was very old and outdated. It was expensive. The hosts were not family friendly and not nice people.

Not recommended. Stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jay P
Suzanne B, Owner at Jervis Bay Retreat, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we are a bit perplexed as we have no record of any families staying at our property at the time of your review.
Can you let us know if you did stay at our property and how we can address the issues you have raised.
Kind regards.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed in The Church with my partner and my brother for 3 nights in December 2012 and I must admit we booked it at the last minute with not much else being available, so expectations were not high....but we were more than pleasantly surprised! Brian was lovely on check in, the house very clean, tidy and comfortable and the grounds quite interesting. Basically a series of 'themed' cottages dotted around - but pretty private but interesting at the same time. Ours came with a good sized BBQ, nice bathroom and compact but handy kitchen. My brother slept on a single bed in the living room but it wasn't in the way at all - and the bathroom had 2 entrances which was convenient. We brought our own coffee machine which we were grateful for - and the TV is not very big so best to bring cards or something else for entertainment, but overall we had a great time. A few KM down the road is the 'regional boat ramp' which we used to kayak from and even caught a fish. Abit further along is the picturesque town of husskinson where you can buy most things. You can't walk to shops from the retreat so you need to arrive prepared. We would stay again...don't forget the mozzie repellant as walking around outdoors at night was pretty full on.

Room Tip: We chose the Church as it was the largest cottage and there were 3 of us.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Suzanne B, Owner at Jervis Bay Retreat, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. All feedback is appreciated. Hope to see you again.
Regards.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We loved our accommodation in the Police station at Woollamia and were keen to go back another time for a longer getaway, however when we returned home we realised we left our baby's teddy and called Brian to see if it was there. My husband was working down the road and offered to pick it up but Brian posted it back to us...Wow...we were so impressed...what service...I asked them if I could reimburse them for postage costs, however no reply was received. Instead I saw a $25 credit card fee charged on my credit card statement 2 days later. It cost about $5 to send teddy back, but we never asked them to send it...we were going to pick it up, and I just think its rude to charge someone a fee without explaining there would be one or what it would be. And $25 is a bit much. When I called to ask what the fee on my card was for, Brain just said, its a service fee. Its just a shame they didn't communicate this cost with us before deciding to post the teddy. I'm pretty sure its ILLEGAL to charge a customer without their approval....but whats done is done...and we just wont stay there or recommend it to anyone in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank elizabeth P
Suzanne B, Owner at Jervis Bay Retreat, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all feedback.
However your husband was not just down the road, he was on manoeuvres out in the bay. When he contacted us via mobile phone he was most happy to have 'teddy' returned by post.
We have a standard charge for returning guests property which is made clear on our web site.
Sorry for any confusion caused.
Aberlady, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at Woollamia Village Retreat nearly 10 years ago!! I was telling a friend about it over the weekend & couldn't remember the name so looked it up on Tripadviser & luckily found it! We had a wonderful stay here, having moved from nearby accommodation which we disliked. The owners, Brian & Sue could not have been more friendly. We stayed in the Police House and loved it! The furnishings are beautiful, I seem to remember that Brian built it all himself & Sue looked after the interior design. Would love to go back again sometime

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Suzanne B, Owner at Jervis Bay Retreat, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. We do remember you and had such an enjoyable meal with you.
We both hope you will come and visit again.
All the best.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I first found Woollamia when Brian and Sue where building it. I remember Brian's pride when showing me the Police Station. Don't ask me what year it was because I can't remember but I do remember vowing that I would return to stay at their 'Village'.
That vow became a reality when I married my American born husband and spent our honeymoon (complete with my daughters) in the Village Inn (not built when I first visited). I wanted to stay in the Chuch but they recommended the Inn because its size met our need better.
My husband was over the moon about our stay, it was his first real taste of Aussie bush. We BBQ'd most nights and bring able to cook breakfast every morning in a full kitchen was great as my youngest is lactose intolerant.
In all honesty, I just loved sitting on the verandah of the Inn smelling and seeing the Aussie bush. The tranquility and sense of inner calm I felt in those 5 days was worth 4 weeks in a Spa Resort.
We didn't miss out on anything as the beautiful white beaches of Jervis Bay are only a short drive away and lots of other attractions (both educational and fun).
Seven years on and I am planning on taking our youngest x2 (his and mine not ours) for a week 'retreat' prior to the HSC to the Village. I have no fear in this plan because I know the Village will meet all our needs. (Just wondering if the one eyed Brumby is still in the Forest and comes to be fed every afternoon)

I highly recommend Wollamia Village to anyone contemplating staying, you will not disappointed. It would be a highlight for any International visitor.

Room Tip: Contact Brian and Sue, talk to them about your travelling party (eg couple, family, friends) so they...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Suzanne B, Owner at Jervis Bay Retreat, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind comments. These are much appreciated.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return.
We will look forward to it.
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Good located houses in the middle of the bush. Short drive to Jervis Bay..
Houses are very nice presented with each having its own theme (police station, general store..). Inside clean, patio and BBQ could have been cleaned better. Friendly hosts. Despite the nice stay, too expensive and hence rated average.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tim P
Suzanne B, Owner at Jervis Bay Retreat, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Sorry about the cost but as the company that you booked through takes 25% commission this makes it very hard to keep costs down.
We would have appreciated if you had mentioned the state of the bbq when we saw you outside.
We then could have rectified the situation.