“How disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Scala - CLOSED

La Scala
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canberra, Australia
“How disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Having been to La Scala more than 20 times in the past 6 years and thoroughly enjoying it every time and it being my favourite restaurant in Canberra I asked my parter to book it for Valentines day. What a huge mistake!
We were escorted to our table and presented our menus. As we frequent this restaurant we knew what we wanted almost instantaneously. We ordered 5 minutes after sitting down at 6:30. We decided not to have entrees because we were hungry and knew how big the meals were.
At 7:15 our waiter returned and said "what did you order again? It didn't go into the system". I repeated out two dish order and noted that we were very hungry. She said our order would go on priority and asked if we wanted any drinks but we were fine.
The table next to us just finished their mains as this was taking place. Their plates were cleared and 10-15 mins later their main meals arrived. Our meals didn't arrive until 10 minutes after they had finished their meal and their plates had been cleared.
Finally our meals arrived and were significantly smaller than usual.
After taking our first bite the waiter came back to ask how they were and we said fine and would like to eat because we were too hungry to talk.
My partner ordered the steak and asked for it to be medium rare. The tiny piece was barely rare.
My tortellini had an unusual cream sauce and was a small serving.
When they came to clear the plates I asked for the bill.
When I went to pay they asked how it was and I mentioned how long it took for our meals and they apologised.

After this terrible experience I will never return to this resturant. What a shame how they let this place go.

• Visited February 2014

Canberra, Australia
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Dined at La Scala last night (Monday 3rd of March), only to be disappointed by both the food and service having heard lovely things from family and friends.

The first disappointment of the evening was to discover that the pork belly for 2 (entree) was not being served that night - this wouldn't have mattered so much if we were told before ordering our meals . As an alternative we ordered breads, only to receive one slice of bread cut in two, a dish that cost $5.

For mains we ordered the veal and chicken. Both meals were enjoyable, however the chicken dish which was supposed to come with prosciutto, came with a small slice about the slice of a 20cent piece. This matched up with a previous review I had read regarding a seafood pasta dish, with little seafood present.

In terms of the food, the saving dish was a zucchini ribbon salad we ordered to share which filled the missing gap left by the small entree. Definitely the highlight of our evening - a little sad considering it was chosen as a side dish to our main course.

Finally, the service, although not bad, lacked attentiveness and there was little to no conversation between the waitress and myself and partner. To top off, we had to pay the bill at the bar and were farewelled by the bartender with 'goodbye kiddies', a final remark which as a young couple in our twenties, was patronising and slightly embarrassing.

This night would have been a lot more enjoyable if the wait staff were more welcoming and chatty and if the food portions a little more generous.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Victoria, Australia
“Intimate Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Great Italian food. Intimate, cosy atmosphere even though the back of the restaurant was a little dark. We needed to use the torch on our phone to read the menu!
Good wine selection.
Efficient staff, good service. Food was tasty and well presented.
The Chicken roll was delicious and the potato mash was fantastic.
We would recommend this restaurant to others.

Visited February 2014
Australia
“Less than Satisfactory”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We first went to La Scala last June with friends. My wife and I were in Canberra and thought we would like to try it again. The phone reservation was quickly made. Seating at the table was prompt when we arrived. It seemed the wait staff were somewhat disorganised. Several would stand by the bar and look around - yet we had to beg water - and then they never came back with more. The food - risotto in addition to a pasta was quite good. The bread we order seemed a bit stale and had obviously been sitting around. Perhaps it was recycled like Anthony Bourdain has suggested that a few restaurants do! The place seemed hot and stuff this evening so we didn't really want to stay and have deserts. We then had to wait a about 15 minutes to get the bill which was annoying. The wait person actually seemed a bit surly, maybe they were having a bad day. I see other reviewers who have commented on service issues which is unfortunate. For the meals, bread and a couple of glasses of wine the tab came to over 70 dollars which I am sure some would think a bit pricey. I think the next time we are in the mood for Italian in Canberra we will try another restaurant. Hope the owner and the management can improve things for the future as it seems like a nice little place.

Visited January 2014
Canberra
“Forgettable experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

It was our first time at La Scala and I'm sorry to say we won't likely be back.

Positives: nice ambience; friendly waiting staff (although at the end of the meal our waitress asked us "how are you going tonight?" as though we had just arrived which made us a bit confused!); walking in without a booking on a Friday night and being seated straight away; tortellini Genovese - flavoursome and creamy without being over-rich.

Negatives: the tortellini serving was slightly on the smaller side; prices quite high for what you get (then again, that's Canberra); pork and veal ragu papardelle was extremely disappointing - It was basically tasteless and the meat was gristly and chewy.

It's unfortunate that based on this experience, the negatives outweighed the good things about La Scala for me. Perhaps everything else on the menu is delicious, but the papardelle was a real letdown and when you are paying $25+ for pasta, I for one expect a bit more! I also wasn't impressed that they only take credit cards and not eftpos.

• Visited January 2014