“Birthday dinner”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Enjoyed a birthday dinner here. Agree with other diners that the antipasto was nothing special. Veal was yummy though and apparently the chicken and desserts were excellent. I was served an incorrect wine, asked for Sauvignon blanc and got a dessert wine. The waitress took a lot of convincing but it was clear from the color it was not Sauvignon blanc. Service was ordinary (is that the new norm?). Overall good. Would I go out of my way to recommend? Probably not.

There are newer reviews for La Scala

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The antipasto was a collection of what looked like sandhurst products eg sun dried tomatoes "marinated mushrooms" etc + the prevoiusly mentioned dusty crumbly commercial grissini(does anyone like these things??).As the vegetarian main option had the dreaded sun dried tomatoes(in that oil!!) in it,I asked for some Parpadelle with tomato sauce + parmesan.The pasta was overcooked / cold and through it was some bottled passatta.The quality of the parmesan was very bad.My friend had scallops for an entree,he said they tasted"funny".He had a prawn pasta main which he said was dreadful.Our South Australian red was delicious.What a waste of money!!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Rude waitress, Awful service + not a pleasant atmosphere to be in. I want to enjoy my meal, not throw it away!

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Situated right in the centre of Canberra, we have been to La Scala in Civic Canberra at least 5 times over the past couple of years and have always been very happy with the meals & service. We have also taken friends & family there & they have also commented on the high quality of food. My father, who eats out a lot, was surprised it hasn't been awarded a "hat'! La Scala's food would probably be best described as modern italian. They have a fairly consistent menu, but also have seasonal specials.
My favourite dish is an entree of scallops served on a carrot puree - totally yum! I followed this up with a pork belly main which was also delicious. If you like something a little spicy, they do have a great pasta dish with veal & chilli. If you like desserts, La Scala has some wonderful examples - their Pannacotta is the best we've had anywhere! So smooth & creamy.

La Scala also have a great wine list & the atmosphere in the restaurant is very nice. The only down side is there is no parking out the front so you'll have to find a park in the street (& watch out for those very keen parking inspectors!) or pay for parking in the Canberra Centre.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The menu changes frequently so your favourite from last time may have been replaced by another lovely dish. Last visit my scallop entree was devine as was my prawn pasta and my friends steak. The meals are all yummy. The way the restaurant is set up in several rooms reduces the usual restaurant noise so it is pleasant. There are rooms for groups. The doorway is a little hidden away but in the main part of the city, it's a favourite place for many locals and a wonderful find for visitors.