“Good Steak, Lack of Care” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kingsleys Steak and Crab House Canberra - CLOSED

Kingsleys Steak and Crab House Canberra
Cuisines: Australian, Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canberra, Australia
“Good Steak, Lack of Care”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The Food here is always great when I go, however the staff are lacking a bit up there. We were seeing a movie, so we decided to go there to eat before we went. We ordered and one of the people at our table cancelled the chips ( he had ordered extra) not knowing his Wagyu came with chips.

Then we waited, and waited and everyone around us were getting their food and we had 30 minutes till the movie started. We asked them what had happened and the look of confusion had set in. The waitress had cancelled the whole order not just the chips. Then, no apology, no discount, no free nibbles to get us through the 1 45minutes we were left there waiting without food. By the time it came we had to shovel it down and leave. The eye fillet is good and the wagyu was very nice. The chips are great when they are fresh but sometimes they can double fry them. The sauces are always delicious. Make sure you try the oyster shots, they are a delight!!. I think with a bit of attention to detail and some customer service training Kingsleys would be able to compete with some other high ranking restaurants in Canberra.

Visited October 2012

Canberra, Australia
“Inconsiderate and Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Wow!! I thought it was just us that had an issue with the booking manager!!! I think somebody needs to be fired!!! We had a reservation elsewhere last Saturday night and were walking there when the skies opened up. As making our reservation would have meant getting an absolute soaking, we popped into the Steakhouse to see if they had a table instead. The restaurant was almost empty and we were told they were fully booked, but there were 3 tables more than 20 minutes late for their reservation. If we wanted to have a drink at the bench (this was a high stooled bench facing a black board, not even at the bar) they would seat us in about 15 minutes. We were surprised when the waitress came and took our order while at the bench, but figured we would be seated soon. When the entrees came and we still were not seated we asked for one of the 5 free tables and were told they would have one for us in a few minutes, they needed to “juggle” the reservations. To cut to the chase, we asked the booking manager 3 times for a table and never got one. We were served our overpriced steak dinner at the uncomfortable bench. To make it worse, after finishing our mains when the waitress asked us if we would like desert, I responded with “not unless we could have it at a table”. The booking manager was over within minutes to tell us our table was ready. I almost slapped him. I asked why we couldn't have had one of the 4 tables that had stood empty the entire time we were there. He told me there were circumstances I was not aware. For example, one of the tables was booked but the couple got in an argument and walked out. Why the hell were we not given the table then? He shrugged!!!! Needless to say we left without desert…yet still paid $150 to eat at a bench!!
Which brings me to the food… the steak was excellent (which is the only reason I gave the place two stars). However, for $50 I expect to get more than 4 chips. AND there was as $2 charge to replace the chips with mashed potatoes. Want vegetables? $10 for a side of green beans!! All sides were mediocre. For $50 a plate I want a couple of nice side dishes included!!
I would not go there again!!

1 Thank Lisa73_Canberra
Canberra
“I expect a steakhouse to be able to cook a decent steak!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Like some others, making a booking was bothersome. Was told the only spot they had open for the whole night was 7.15 pm. When we arrived it was half empty, and continued to be half empty for the rest of the night.
I ordered the 300g striploin medium-rare. I'm generally not fussy with steak. I love medium-rare, and if it's a little more on the rare side, or a little more on the medium side, I don't care. But my steak came out well done. Like, VERY well done. No pink left at all. I expect a 'steakhouse' to do a much better job than that. I've had better steaks from crap pubs.
I only gave it 2 stars instead of 1 as my husband really enjoyed his burger.
Oh, it also took well over an hour to receive our food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MrsKerryn
Griffith, Australia
“Odd reservations system...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

It's lovely to sit outside on a warm night and watch the world go by, and with a bit of encouragement the wait staff did move a table or two from tucked under a pole to a better situation. The weird thing was, however, on seeking to book this table we were told that we couldnt make a booking at 8pm, so could we do 8.15? We agreed then on hanging up realized we had booked the wrong night, so rang back, only to be told the same thing about the next night. When we got there, it was far from full so not sure what this system is about. Food is nice. The Alaskan crab isn't imaginative however as it is defrosted and served with a bowl of mayo. Also, main meals were clearly forgotten and we waited an hour and ten between courses. We were told some nonsense about a big table arriving but there wasn't one so not sure why. A nice night however. I won't rush back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Martini465
London, United Kingdom
“No tables??”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have no complaints about the food, which was good, or the wait staff, who were fast and courteous and i am a return customer. I did, though, take issue with the bookings manager who first tried to say the restaurant was completely full at 6.00pm (it wasn't) then make up reasons why it wouldn't be a good idea to sit outside (where there were some free tables later on) and then finally, after pressing, concede that in fact two table were free inside, but 'not in particularly nice locations' (they were fine) if I really wanted one of them. Not sure why he went through this absurd charade to try to prevent us getting a table, but it was downright rude. If you want a table at this restaurant, book using the number in Sydney (that's a pain also). I won't be going back.

• 4 of 5 bubbles