Tripadvisor
Canberra
Review Highlights
Could do better

This is my local preferred cinema. The sound levels vary between hard to hear and far too loud... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

from $225.04
from $115.16
from $151.39
More Info
All reviews underground parking movie screening audience queue arty cafe
Selected filters
Reviewed January 2, 2020 via mobile

Yeah I know that I am getting older and using "talkie" shows it! Cosy, comfy and atmospheric, just what you want in a cinema. If you are going to the flicks in Canberra, go to this place for a nicer experience.

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed July 23, 2019 via mobile

A super venue a sold out house and a great local film The Narrabundah Boy. Congratulations to every one involved in this delightful tale.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed June 20, 2019

Didn't know about this theatre, but it gave us the best time option to suit us when I googled the movie so we went with it. I was pleasantly surprised how lovely it was when I entered the building, it has a quirky, arty decor reminiscent of some old trendy suburban places in Melbourne. The recycled wood work of the stairway is amazing, love it! You can really make an evening out at this theatre as they off most alcoholic drinks and they have a great bar in the middle of the theatre area that you can sit and have drinks before you go to your movie. When the movie finished we moved to the cafe which was just as delightful as the theatre, with plenty of art on display. Coffee and pastries were good. A very pleasant outing, and with the specials for the movie did not end up being an expensive outing. Would definitely go back.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed May 11, 2019

Having pre-booked, we were met with a queue of ten people in the same queue, not moving, while two pretty boys behind the counter sold drinks and snacks. Theatre 8 was so small that the seats were WAY too close to the screen to focus properly on the movie, even with 20-20 vision. An abandoned child was playing a very noisy game on his i-pad seated on the floor outside the theatre door, for a good twenty minutes before the movie started, until we told him to stop - twice. Screening was sold out. Family beside me talked and rustled the whole way through the movie and then complained to the manager when I asked them to stop. This place is ridiculously understaffed and the ushers don't do their job; it attracts arty farts and angry women who think they have the right to ruin the movie for the rest of the audience while their families can't behave in public. Not exactly cheap either - go to Hoyts instead.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed March 1, 2019 via mobile

We’ve never had any complaints before, but we went to Palace Electric to see a movie and it seems someone forgot to put the air conditioning on, it was so hot and stuffy, and the cinema was not particularly full. It seemed to be just where our movie was playing because there was nice cool air when we walked out that first door. Another problem with Nishi is the changes to the parking. The underground parking has been changed to a pay when you park system, so you have to know how long you’ll be there. Previously you paid when you leave and so you could decide after the movie to perhaps have a drink or bite to eat elsewhere in the Nishi complex or take a stroll, but now you have to decide from the outset how long to pay for. I find it not quite as user friendly, I’m not sure why the change, it seems the focus has shifted away from a client-centred one now?

Date of experience: February 2019