“Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel Realm

Hotel Realm
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Modern hotel close to everything in Canberra, not that anythings far away in the nations capital! Rooms were a good size with modern amenities and comfortable furniture.

Haven't tried any other hotels in Canberra and I probably won't as I will definitely stay here again!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Realm

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I choose to stay at the Hotel Realm, not only because it's close to most of the locations I need to be when I visit Canberra for business, but because the standard of the accommodation is the best in Canberra (and I've stayed at many) and they have some of the best hotel staff in the business! I get looked after like a VIP (and I assure you I'm not!) and every time I'm there I'm greeted like a long lost friend. They even remember which rooms I prefer and my long time choice of daily paper, The Age, is delivered to my door 99% of the time even though delivery from Melbourne can be a day to day proposition for them. Konoba Restaurant is always brilliant and I tried the Rotolo for the first time last visit - it was yum and will be my choice frequently in future! Talia Spooner-Stewart in Reservations is a gem and I know she always notes in my file any comments, likes or dislikes I may have. So why would I stay anywhere else? Not likely!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the bars can be a little noisy when patrons are really enjoying themselves so...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Monica P
HotelRealm_GM, General Manager at Hotel Realm, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you Monica for your review of the Hotel Realm.

I am delighted to hear that your stay with us is a memorable one!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have the chance to stay at the Realm Canberra three days per month and it is a great experience. I love the modern styling and arty danglings in the foyer (you'll see what I mean). In particular I love the pizza oven in the bar area which makes great pizza for after work meals. The bar is well appointed and has plenty of interesting nooks. It is close to Parliament House (as I gather my politicians know already) which makes it good for walk around the Parliament block for an evening walk. This is the best hotel in Canberra currently in my book.

1  Thank junde01
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Realm on the way between Sydney and Melbourne. The property was well kept. Staff told us that "we really don't get tourists" when we asked for suggestions of things to do and restaurants they could recommend. Fortunately as we walked down a few blocks we came upon a young couple who directed us to the restaurant/bar area,

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeannieTexas
Reviewed March 8, 2013

In a place like Canberra where you get a mix of tourists and a large array of consultants who work with government departments, its nice to get a place to cater for all. This is a very good hotel. Its geographical location is good in that if you near to be near Parliment House its just a stones throw away. Also its only a short walk to Kingston where ther are some great restaurants. A very modern hotel, with good generous room sizes. Will stay again. Its not cheap, but you get what you pay for. It also has a great bar and restaurant.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The weekend was focussed on a birthday gift of The Curator's Dinner at the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition at The National Gallery so five star was on our minds. At check-in; a room on the "E" floor? What's wrong with numbers like everyone else? Oh...Executive....not so bad then! The room was good: seperate kitchen/laundry (not much prospect of that being over- used on a birthday weekend!), lounge (with TV/monitor that we never got beyond the standby screen) and a bedroom with king-size bed & good hanging space. We had requested a quiet room and were nervously over-looking the noisy garden bar; see how it goes. The weekend appears to be off to a good start! Saturday morning: great breakfast!! Good selection and, for a buffet-style, not jaded by timing. For a buffet, the poached eggs were wonderful. Back after a day out & no English tea-bags (we used both of them this morning & they hadn't been replaced). Call to reception; no problem, we'll send them up. Cold beer instead. On the way out to dinner, we reminded them about the no-show tea-bags. An apology & assurance that it will be rectified. Back after a great night out & still no tea-bags. Another call to reception: finally tea-bags! Sunday breakfast...what a circus!! The buffet was set up in an area too small to accommodate the biggest hotel breakfast day of the week resulting in queues of up to 20 people in an area smaller than our room. We had 5 attempts in an hour but got exasperated by the disfunctionality of the whole thing. We tried tea but, being of the "jug on a hot-plate" variety delivered a tepid cup (jug refilling couldn't keep up with demand so was usually warm at best). At least the orange juice (this was all we had time for) had pulp! Other trivia that niggled us: the lifts were dreadfully slow (5 floors & 4 lifts but we always wondered if there were stairs that would be quicker), long-life milk in the room (at a hotel of this calibre?), a TV in the lounge area that didn't respond to the remote control provided and a lighting system, with "master" switches that didn't follow logic!

Room Tip: Rooms on E floor are good & don't panic about over-looking the garden bar. Breakfast quality...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My partner and I stayed two nights this week. The hotel is very modern, but very cold and clinical - not very welcoming. The place has gone overboard in its use of technology. Instead of a little cardboard sign saying "Do not disturb" to hang on the door handle, it has a light, with a switch inside. Unfortunately the bulb had blown in ours so we couldn't ask house-keeping to come back later. You want to read the restaurant menu? Certainly. Turn on the television and Apple Mac computer, select Information on the screen, then select the restaurant, then use the arrow keys to magnify the menu, then up-down keys to scroll it. What's wrong with paper?
On day 1, my electronic room key wouldn't let me out of the garage. On day 2 it wouldn't let me into the room after midday. We'd requested a late checkout, but apparently the system won't keep the keys working after normal checkout.
Definitely NOT five-star accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business