“Realm is okay, but I think 5 star isn't quite right”
Review of Hotel Realm

Hotel Realm
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I've stayed at Realm before, and while it is a very nice hotel, I feel it is not comparable to 5 star hotels in Sydney and overseas. However, Konobo, their restaurant, does absolutely delicious food (although their red wine selection leaves something to be desired)

All in all, I would stay at Realm again, and recommend it, but I would do so with a word or two of caution - no matter what, our room both times has been way too hot (even in Canberra winter!) but this was helped last time by opening the sliding door to the balcony.

The beds are comfy, the decor is nice, the giant bathtubs are wonderful and I'll never say no to nespresso machines! But the service is always a little cold at the front reception, and the parking is really hard to find unless you've been before.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Realm

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel & while we did enjoy it, there are a few things missing.
Firstly, when we arrived there was absolutely no one around! Nobody standing at the entrance to greet you, open doors, help with luggage etc etc Once we walked inside, we found the lobby to be a little soul-less & sterile & upon check in, there was still no offer of assistance with any of our gear & no information given on check in regarding the hotel facilities. I guess it must be a DIY kind of property! Ok for us, but perhaps not for others?
The rooms are comfortable & quite nicely decorated, though our 'Realm Room' was not overly large & the bathroom had only a shower (no bath tub). The addition of a Nespresso machine & a few coffee pods is a nice touch.
Breakfast the following morning was a pleasant surprise as the restaurant was lively & bright with good music playing & a great buffet. The food was replaced frequently so everything was fresh & there was a good selection. The only downside was that the service was lacking. At no point did anyone come to the table to take a coffee order or ask us if we would like to order something other than what was available on the buffet. People around us were drinking coffee & eating dishes they had obviously ordered from the kitchen. It was a busy Sunday morning, however they should be more aware of their guests & be attentive. The only person that came to our table was the person who cleared away the plates!
Overall I think it was good value, as we found a good rate on the hotels' website, however given the service we received I'm glad we didn't pay anymore. We will stay there again next time we travel through Canberra & see if things improve!
It feels as though they need to fine tune a few things to be the standard of hotel they are aiming to be.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Travelbug070
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed here accompanied by my wife for a 3 day conference held in the hotel. It is a modern style of hotel, with a mix of hotel rooms and 1 bedroom apartments. We stayed in an apartment, which was quite spacious and well appointed with a good-sized kitchen. The en-suite bathroom was excellent, with a separate shower and a large spa-bath, a good feature for the chilly Canberra nights. There was a balcony, but it faced into an interior courtyard, so there was no real view. The hotel itself was well appointed, but a bit 'glass and chrome' soul-less. There are some interesting-sounding restaurants in the hotel, and the included buffet breakfast was of reasonable quality. The reception staff were reasonably competent but not warm or particularly informative. The room tariff seemed a bit high, but that is probably reflective of it being Canberra. I would probably stay there again for business, maybe not for personal travel

Room Tip: The apartments are spacious and well appointed - ones facing inwards are quiet
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Realm is a great hotel, very simple but elegant. The rooms are spacious, include a small balcony and designed to make your stay easy. The hotel is very quiet and located on the outskirts of Manuka and within close proximity to many government and corporate buildings. I have stayed here a few times and always feel like I am the only person staying in the hotel. I have recommended this hotel to a few people, who all share the same views. For a true five star experience, this is the best in Canberra and is designed exceptionally well. Breakfast choices are limited but again fits with the minimal feel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Realm's restaurant Ostani, lets the place down.
The service for our group was very slow, and they knew that we were trying to be quick. Once the food actually arrived, most of the plates looked empty, as the portions were so small. I'll admit that my meal did taste very good, but it was barely an entree. This makes their prices quite steep too.
Considering their clientele, they don't offer expected services, like splitting the bill, which is a pain and they are quite rude about dealing with this matter. Overall, I'm not tempted to go back.

4  Thank Queenslanderabroad
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Realm in Canberra for one night on a business trip. It was very nice and new, very modern, luxurious and fancy. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a two bedroom suite which was just beautiful. I wish I had a 100 friends with me to have had a party, as it was a bit wasted on just little old me. But the bed was comfortable, the spa bath was well appreciated and relaxing especially at the end of a long day, the L'occitane products were lovely, the coffee machine in the kitchen was heaven. I would like to stay there again on my next visit.

1  Thank CCCtheworld
Reviewed July 24, 2011

i had numerous stay at this hotel and the service level at check-in has not been consistent. Generally it is not bad but do not expect proactively helpful staff. This hotel is a great option if you are after luxurious efficiency.
Loved the one bedroom suite. The spae and layout works well and it great when i am in Canberra for more than a day. for work. The beds are big and comfortable and good overall noise insulation in the room. if time permits, have the in-room breakfast - it is LUSH and provides a great start to the day. Lunch at the restaurant is another great option for food.
A great option for extended business stay and a luxurious private get away on the weekend