“D'Browse... D'ont bother”

D'Browes
Ranked #135 of 1,362 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Canberra, Australia
“D'Browse... D'ont bother”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Went with my husband for a night out and had heard good things about this restaurant. Not only was the food terrible, but the service was poor. I guess the waitresses knew that customers where unhappy with the food and were probably fed up with copping the blame. My scallop entree was quite nice, but my husband's calamari was rubbery and ordinary. The mains were the biggest disappointment. The duck in a pear jus was overcooked duck with some pear slices on it... served with chips. My main was the special - spinach and ricotta cups with a tomato sauce. It was inedible.
We paid and left asap.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Tofucanbefun

Sydney
“D'Browes is full of flavour”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The newspaper review on the front door said 'big flavours' and they were right. My wife and I shared a bean and vegetable soup which was delicious. The waitress brought a second soup spoon without us saying we were going to share the entree. I had roast duck and my wife had fillet of beef, both of which were excellent. My wife had meringues with ice cream and passionfruit and I had spiced pear with zabaglione, again both full of flavour. The restaurant is strictly BYO and the supermarkets at Narrabundah and Griffith both have an excellent selection of Australian and NZ wines. D'Browes was pretty well attended on a very wet Friday night. We'll certainly pay it another visit.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank nautilusSydney
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

WOW! The Pork chop is the best I have had world wide, and it is huge. It is also BYU which keeps the cost down. Been there many times with friends and never have been disappointed

2 Thank OnlythebestTasmania
“A hidden gem.”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Not many people know about D'Browes. Hidden away in one of Canberra's inner south suburbs, you would be forgiven for not being aware it even existed, even if you were a Canberra local. There are around 7-8 tables inside, and the service and quality of food is second to none. Definitely one of our local favourites.

3 Thank CanberraLocal
Canberra
“Great food but won't be returning!!”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I went to D'Browes for dinner with a small appetite and a small amount of cash. Deciding that the soup of the day, $10.70 on the entrees menu, would suffice, I ordered it for my main. I meant, of course, that I would like the entree but for it to be brought out with the mains. Someone (not sure if it was the wait person or the chef) totally misinterpreted this and when the bill came I found that it had been charged as a main. "All the mains are the same price," the waitress advised, and my $10.70 bowl of chick pea and tomato soup cost me $27.50. Now it was delicious soup, but I would certainly not pay $27.50 for it, especially as that was more that I had brought with me, and for the life of me I cannot see how it is even reasonable to charge the same price for a bowl of chick peas and tomatoes as for a whole trout, a duck Maryland or a massive pork cutlet, which are some of the other mains available.

We then queried the corkage charge of $16, as only one bottle of wine was drunk by four of the six people at our table. The waitress advised that corkage was determined by the number of tablecloths on the table and the longer the table, the more tablecloths were required, and the more would be charged for corkage (does that make it a laundering charge, not a corkage charge??). I said "So are you seriously telling us that the corkage being charged here has absolutely nothing to do with the number of bottles opened or the number of glasses used?" and she said "Yes".

The food was delicious but the ridiculous corkage charge explanation and the pricing audacity of the soup means that I will never go to D'Browes again... which is a shame :(

• Visited December 2011