“Did not dissapoint” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courgette Restaurant

Courgette Restaurant
Reserve with
Courgette Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,330 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: European, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Canberra
“Did not dissapoint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our evening spent at Courgettes was just fantastic. Very romantic table near the atrium, which really broke up the boredom, sitting in a 4 walled space.
Staff were very attentive and welcoming.
The food , was truly "art on a plate", we had the 4 course menu with choice, such great value and really full after dessert. We loved the quail,salmon,duck and dessert (jaffac choc-was to die for)
Will be back for sure and definately in a league of its own as a Canberra fine dining restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank CanberraKris

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
“An excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Courgette deserves its reputation as a top class local eatery; the four course set price menu for $80 a head, was well conceived and executed, with available choices which should suit most needs and palates. Service was relaxed but attentive and efficient. The wine list was outstanding, both extensive by region and variety. Our group sampled a couple of excellent 1990's Coonawarra Cabernets, often hard to find. Those familiar with Canberra may remember the venue in its previous iterations [there has been a restaurant here since 1987], but the decor and fittings have been stylishly modernised. I rated my experience as 5 star for Canberra, where it is deservedly at or close to the top of Canberra restaurants. This view was shared by all in our group.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank ballina21
Sydney Australia
“Why didnt I know about this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I'd say this was a hidden gem but apparently it is not. We visited Canberra last Friday for the Turner Exhibition and as it happened also to be my 50th birthday we wanted somewhere special to celebrate. We had a few requirements and after thinking of 'Ottomans' which I have been to before we decided on Courgette. The wine list is amazing and very reasonably priced there are many excellent vintages represented even from 1996 and 1998 (golden years for Australian Reds) and some under $100 a bottle! The food is exquisite with my beef main course perhaps the loveliest steak I have ever had in my life. The atmosphere is great with lots of different sections and a sort of garden view that provides lots of natural light. The service is excellent without being fussy. My only wonder about this place is why its not featured on some of the restaurant lists or in Gourmet Traveller magazine in Australia (which I no longer buy). Then I realised such lists are aimed at young professionals and hipster types (especially Gourmet Traveller {sadly}) and blessedly such types are not to be found at this perfect restaurant. Go you will love it.

4 Thank JJW63
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best restaurants in Canberra.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary in Courgette. The location is perfect for a romantic dinner, there is plenty of space between tables to keep privacy. The food was scrumptious and the wine list is impressive! The Alox Corton 1er Cru Les Marchandes was pure nectar. Excellent service and timing between each course is perfect, allowing us to chat and enjoy our dinner!
I would recommend this restaurant as we spent a lovely anniversary!

1 Thank Frenchprincesse
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Better than Augerbine & Ottoman hands down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've had the pleasure of dining at Courgette, Ottoman and Augergine in the last three weeks, arguably three of Canberra's best 'special event' establishments. All would have been for lunch celebrations, except that Aubergine no longer opens for lunch.

Visiting all three in such a short space of time has allowed me to draw some surprising conclusions - surprising to me that is. Whenever I'm in Canberra, Aubergine has, for years, been my favourite restaurant. But no longer. It has been surpassed in spades by Courgette.

The staff at Courgette were polite, helpful, attentive and personable without being overbearing or intrusive, even managing to refrain from asking 'how is everything?' just after I'd taken a mouthful. I think they assumed, correctly, that if things weren't OK I'd draw it to their attention, nor did they need solicited praise halfway through the meal.

The ambiance and outlook were lovely, despite dining on a wet, windy and wintery Canberra day. There's a delightful little glassed garden to gaze upon, and on our visit there was just the right number of other diners to make for a convivial atmosphere without absorbing all the available staff resources.

But obviously it's the food that takes centre stage and I was blown away by the simplicity and complexity of the dishes on offer. Lunch is offered at a set price of $60 for a three course menu. There were four choices each for entree, main and desert with sides (a choice of four again) at an additional $9 each.

Our party of four selected pretty much everything on the menu, as well as two sides. Unlike some restaurants which have started emptying the plate of any accompaniments so that you have to order extras, the sides at Courgette weren't necessary but were absolutely delicious, so we happily forced them down. And the usual bread provision was a delight in itself - fresh, warm chewy and crispy sourdough with smoked butter. Ever had smoked butter? Neither had I. It's phenomenal.

Quite often I find the entrees outshine the mains, but not at Courgette. They were all equally splendid. The artful arrangement on the plate was not overblown (unlike Aubergine) and allowed us to 'eat with our eyes' before gorging with our ... well you get the idea. Every mouthful was a taste sensation.

The wine selection was comprehensive and, even better, offered a wide selection of half bottles which was perfect for a lunch outing where no-one wanted the same wine.

I can see myself coming back to Courgette again and again, and each time experiencing a new selection of deliciously inventive dishes. I couldn't say the same of Ottoman, and the last time I dined at Aubergine I felt like someone had just woken me up from an Emperor's New Clothes-type dream to realise that it takes itself very seriously when it's all rather affected and try-hard. And the staff were punctilious and brusque, nothing more.

So Courgette is now my favourite to-visit restaurant in Canberra. Hope you enjoy your dining experience as much as we did.

5 Thank Ozzielass