“Very disappointing meal”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went for a family members birthday a 7pm sitting on Saturday night.

I've eaten here a few times before and for the most part its been enjoyable. Unfortunately the standards here have dropped and it isn't worth the premium prices charged.

There were only two waiters working who were run off their feet. Oysters were off the menu. One family member had the schnitzel which looked as though it'd just come fresh from the microwave. My steak was good but for $45 you'd expect it to be. The vegetables that are served with were poor as well.

All in all it wasn't what we'd hoped for, not a terrible meal but definitely not worth the money charged and paid.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have visited over the years and never been disappointed.
Good steaks accompanied by good wined and decent service, a recipe for longevity, and Charcoal Grill has it all.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant for nearly (dare I admit it...) 24 years. I have never had a bad meal there. I love the "old fashioned" feel of the restaurant and the menu. It's not the cheapest, but worth it for the 2-3 times a year I would eat there.

I'm boring, I don't often change from the sizzling garlic prawns as an entree, and the steak Diane as my main. But I do also occasionally enjoy the deep fried Camembert with redcurrant jelly, and chicken with avocado. Each meal comes with a baked potato and a side of vegetables, and it's nice that the waitress will then personally top up the potato with butter, sour cream and chives if you want them (dinner only, they serve chips and vegetables at lunch). The wine list is good also.

If you would like good "non trendy" food, and good service then I can really recommend the Charcoal restaurant.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Has the best steak of my life here. Got the last table in the house on a cold Canberra night and boy was it a great dinner. Steaks fabulous, excellent wine and I don't consider it expensive for what we got. My friend enjoyed it so much he arranged a weekend away just so he could go back!!!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Friends of mine from Canberra suggested we visited the Charcoal Grille for a catch up dinner as they'd heard great things about their steak and the 1960's ambience of the restaurant.

Service was ok, but towards the end of the meal we found our waiter rather clingy (almost felt like we were being forced towards another bottle of wine, or dessert) The meal arrived reasonably promptly and I found the steak (Cajun spice) reasonable but nothing exceptional, coming out medium rather than rare as I'd requested. The servings were all on the small side and came with minimal sides, with the remainder being purchased at extra cost.

The wine list was good, but of course, expensive with a local ACT Shiraz setting us back nearly $40 (and it was on the cheaper end of the list). Dinner for four with mains (including a half size Bernaise) and one bottle of wine only came to $175, which represented poor value in my eyes.

This hotel attempts to trade on nostaligia and 60's kitsch while maintaining thoroughly modern prices, without the serving size or service to go with it.