“Never fails...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Charcoal Grill Restaurant
Ranked #220 of 1,330 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canberra, Australia
“Never fails...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant for nearly (dare I admit it...) 24 years. I have never had a bad meal there. I love the "old fashioned" feel of the restaurant and the menu. It's not the cheapest, but worth it for the 2-3 times a year I would eat there.

I'm boring, I don't often change from the sizzling garlic prawns as an entree, and the steak Diane as my main. But I do also occasionally enjoy the deep fried Camembert with redcurrant jelly, and chicken with avocado. Each meal comes with a baked potato and a side of vegetables, and it's nice that the waitress will then personally top up the potato with butter, sour cream and chives if you want them (dinner only, they serve chips and vegetables at lunch). The wine list is good also.

If you would like good "non trendy" food, and good service then I can really recommend the Charcoal restaurant.

Sydney, Australia
“A great classic steakhouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Has the best steak of my life here. Got the last table in the house on a cold Canberra night and boy was it a great dinner. Steaks fabulous, excellent wine and I don't consider it expensive for what we got. My friend enjoyed it so much he arranged a weekend away just so he could go back!!!

Kingston SE, Australia
“Resonable Steaks but Poor value.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Friends of mine from Canberra suggested we visited the Charcoal Grille for a catch up dinner as they'd heard great things about their steak and the 1960's ambience of the restaurant.

Service was ok, but towards the end of the meal we found our waiter rather clingy (almost felt like we were being forced towards another bottle of wine, or dessert) The meal arrived reasonably promptly and I found the steak (Cajun spice) reasonable but nothing exceptional, coming out medium rather than rare as I'd requested. The servings were all on the small side and came with minimal sides, with the remainder being purchased at extra cost.

The wine list was good, but of course, expensive with a local ACT Shiraz setting us back nearly $40 (and it was on the cheaper end of the list). Dinner for four with mains (including a half size Bernaise) and one bottle of wine only came to $175, which represented poor value in my eyes.

This hotel attempts to trade on nostaligia and 60's kitsch while maintaining thoroughly modern prices, without the serving size or service to go with it.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“35 years old and still going strong....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

As ex-Canberra residents returning briefly for the Toulouse Lautrec exhibition at the National Gallery, we decided to visit the Charcoal Grill for old times sake. It's been in the same position in the centre of Civic for 35 years - always popular and very well patronised. We were lucky enough to get a reservation for 9pm Saturday night (lots of restaurants making an effective "cafe society" in Canberra are booked out on weekend nights). It did not disappoint - an excellent waiter who really knew his wines (ditto a waiter at the Hyatt earlier that day), good choice of meals with the steak beautifully cooked. They were out of caesar salad and jacket potatoes at the time but replaced them with fries. A shared dish of seasonal vegetables was also included.

The place is just what it says it is, a steakhouse, but a very good one. Nice to see good servicee and food being served in the same place for so long. Recommended but a bit pricey.

North Sydney, Australia
“disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Several things went wrong for us when we visited this restaurant. We were visiting from interstate so we didn't have a reservation. We walked in and the place was maybe half full. We apologised for being walkins but asked if we could possibly get a table. We were told a flat no. My partner then rang them on the phone about 5 minutes later and asked if he could make a reservation for later on this evening and they said yes we have several tables available and said we could come in in 10 minutes if we wanted. When we arrived back the woman (who I assume is the owner given her level of entitlement) gave us a filthy look and took us to our table. When my steak came out it was blue (I asked for medium rare). There was so little room in the squished restaurant that I had to eat with my elbows tucked in (im 55 kgs and 5"4' so hardly a giant). So in a nutshell, rude staff, poorly cooked meat, crowded restaurant. And it's not cheap either. Save your money and go to another restaurant in Canberra-such as ginger room, aubergine, italian and sons or lanterne rooms

• Visited August 2012