“After reading so many negative reviews I was pleasantly surprised”
Review of The Ginger Room - CLOSED

The Ginger Room
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Canberra Australia
“After reading so many negative reviews I was pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We received a gift card from our daughter to celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary at the Ginger Room. There were 4 of us and we had a great time. The restaurant was only half full and the tables were well spread out so you had plenty of room and were able to hear each other speak. The waiting staff were all friendly and very helpful. We were served complimentary bread rolls and canapes before the meal, a nice touch. The menu is a little confusing at first but the waiter explained that all the choices on the 3 course set menu were of equal size so it wasn't a matter of choosing entree, mains etc. I had the coconut prawn as my first course. They were huge prawns and absolutely delicious. For second course I had the duck, which was a little too pink for my liking, but nevertheless delicious. For dessert I had the chocolate bavararios (?), to die for. We were all very pleased with our meal choices and had a wonderful evening and certainly will go back for another meal soon.

Visited February 2013

Sydney Australia
“Brillant Food amongst the olf parliment corridors”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Loved the food and romance, yes the romance was fantastic. this is a place you can taklk to your love one without having to whisper with a glass of champagne on toe

Visited July 2012
Canberra, Australia
“Beautifully cooked food, shame about the service”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This restaurant has a reputation for high quality fine dining, and our first visit there started well when we were placed in a quiet part of the restaurant as we'd asked when booking online.Things stayed promising when water and an ordered beer arrived promptly. But from there the clouds rolled in. The place was full, which might have over-stretched either the kitchen or the serving staff as we waited for too long to be asked for our orders and then receiving them. The menu is not set out in a way that is quickly understandable, and a separate quick menu appears to be the chef's choice, but I could see no price on it, or whether it was an alternative, or supplement, to the main menu. The main menu lists the four categories of courses, basically, vegetables, fish, meat and desserts. It's not made clear on the menu that these courses are served separately, and in sequence, not together. The waiter was not particularly helpful or friendly, though he was polite enough. Our questions to him did not elicit detailed knowledge of the courses, only general replies that essentially meant it was up to us to choose. A first class restaurant should have waiters who can talk knowledgeably about all the items on the menu. The head waiter seemed able to do this, but the others seemed indifferent. We waited, along with all the other diners, for our meals to arrive, and the Chinese waitress, who was very polite, brought out small tidbits, possibly from the degustation menu,on spoons for us all, explained what they were and apologised for the delays. So maybe this was a bad night in the kitchen.
Eventually, the food arrived but, strangely, my vegetable dish (caramelised fennel) was served after the venison dish, while my wife's duck dish was served in the expected order, after her vegetable dish. I assume the order I received my dishes was a mistake; if not, the menu should indicate that diners should list the order they wished to receive the courses. The venison was beautifully cooked, and the sauce was very pleasant. Size of servings was standard for fine dining, ie not large. The fennel dish was not great, difficult to cut and chewy. The duck was also cooked well and presented nicely.
By the time we'd eaten the main courses, we'd been there over 2 hours, but I ordered a dessert, the berry pudding with sorbet, which was completely delicious. A cappuccino each finished the meal, and I asked the waiter for the bill. He disappeared and 10 minutes later we decided to leave and pay on the way out. It was clear the waiter had not passed on the request for the bill, which was kind of an appropriate end to the visit. Total for 2, including 3 glasses of wine and a beer $180. Not hugely expensive, but I expect faster, more expert and more friendly service for that price.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank tsangwah
North Sydney, Australia
“fantastic”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I love the ginger room. I've been many times. Their valentine's day set menu is amazing (just thought I'd mention that as Valentine's day is on the horizon). The food is amazing. I normally have the degustation menu. Wine list is fantastic. The food is fresh and innovative and fancy without being too pretentious. I took my partner there and he said he felt quite comfortable and liked the place even though he's not a fan of fancy restaurants. Atmosphere is relaxed. Highly recommend.

• Visited October 2012
Raworth, Australia
“Always a good outing!”
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

We have been going to The Ginger Room on and off for years and the meals have always been very special. I particularly like the 'new' menu - tapas style- so I can try many small morsels without being overly full. The cuisine is always light, fresh and innovative. The service on occasions has been a little less than perfect but the Maitre d' is worth his wait in gold - so attentive and friendly - taking his duties seriously. The wine and cheese lists are noteworthy as well. Definitely worth a visit.