“The best laksa in the world”

Dickson Asian Noodle House
Ranked #88 of 1,427 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 10, 2012

From someone who has travelled to SE Asia and more broadly, this place nailed it. Whenever people visit Canberra I always take them here. If you haven't already been here, do yourself a favour. It is a Canberra institution which has been here for around 20 years. A really well run family business.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Ive been coming to the noodle house off and on for 10 years and I have never been disappointed. Definitely the best Laksa in town, but also great Char Kweoy Teow. I've been through most of the menu and have my favorites, but friends always have their own.

Service is kind and quick, but we often book ahead for dinners and are ok to linger longer if we want. Some people tend to think their manner is brisk and rude, I disagree... Some people just need to relax and not expect to be doted upon all the time.

I'll keep coming back.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Asian Noodle House never fails to impress $11 for a laksa or $13 for a large, amazing flavor fast service how could you ever go wrong?

1  Thank Oren F
Reviewed October 24, 2012

It is hard giving a critique on an old friend and after 18 years I feel that the Noodle House is an old friend that faithfully reproduces my favourite dishes without variation in flavour or quality year in and year out.
Most of the foods origin can be traced to Thailand and Laos, with a touch of Singapore and Malaysia thrown in, my favourites are the Larb beef, Roast duck rice and the not on the menu Dry Hokien Mix, but I can honestly that out of their extensive menu i have never had a poor meal.
The cafe is BYO and quite reasonably priced, we always BYO and our bill is around $25 each after having more than enough to eat.....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

1  Thank Gillmeiter
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The review is purely to sing the praises of the laksa at the DANH as that’s the only dish on which I can comment.
“The best laksa you will ever have?” My friend was not convinced when I said this to him. “You reckon it’s even better than … ?” he asked as a challenge. I decided to put my credibility on the line and replied “Mate, I have had laksa all over the world, including hawker’s stalls in Singapore and Malaysia and I have never tasted one that is better!” And that’s how “the challenge” began.
On the appointed night the four of us (wives included) headed off to the Dickson Asian Noodle House (DANH) so my friend could either confirm my assessment – or as he sadistically predicted – give me grief for ever more.
Now about the place. While it is BYO, the DANH is a place you got to eat not to dine. The tables are very close together and it is generally packed So, so unless you are happy to wait for up to an hour, you might want to consider making a booking. The DANH is frequented by people at all levels of Canberra society including several politicians when they are in town. (Don’t let that put you off – they are only looking for a good feed like the rest of us, and yes they do pay the bill themselves). The staff are always busy so while you can expect efficiency there’s not a lot of opportunity for customer engagement 
The menu is a combination of Malaysian, Thai and Lao dishes – or so my wife tells me. In the 20 years I’ve been going to DANH the only difference in my oder has been the occasional half-size laksa when I haven’t felt up to tackiling the generous full size offering. Having said that, my wife has said she can thoroughly recommend the green chicken curry or chicken with basil and chilli.
So, IMHO if you are looking for the best laksa in Canberra (to date, I’d even say the world!) at a very reasonable price then look no further than the Dickson Asian Noodle House.
NOTE: There are three other “Asian Noodle Houses” in Canberra (in Civic, Woden and Tuggeranong). These are a group of restaurants which I believe are owned by a former chef of the DANH but they are not actually affiliated with the DANH. The laksa at these restaurants is very tasty, but (again IMHO) are not of the same quality as the DANH. When you hear Canberrans refer to “The Noodle House” it is DANH.

1  Thank AussiesLuvToTravel