“Good food & views, although a little expensive”
Review of Bookplate

Bookplate
Ranked #109 of 1,389 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We are a cafe that believes in the simple and healthy things, done well. This applies to all aspects of our food and beverages that we serve to our customers. We celebrate food and make what we can by hand. From our bar we offer fresh pressed juices, fruit smoothies, classic and craft beers and local wines. Stop by and have a chat with our highly skilled baristas who can provide consistent delicious coffees and teas. We are located within the National Library of Australia, with a warm and inviting indoor dining space as well as an outdoor terrace with magnificent panoramic views of Lake Burley Griffin. We are the Winner of the 2015 Savour ACT Restaurant and Catering Awards of Best Tourist Restaurant.
Canberra, Australia
“Good food & views, although a little expensive”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I are regulars at the Bookplate. He used to work in the NLA and I use it for research from time to time. If you are hungry, the Bookplate and its sister cafe downstairs provide good food. I think the food is a little expensive, but sitting outside on a sunny, wind free day, if you can get a seat, makes it a worthy investment.

• Visited July 2012

“I love this cafe!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Whilst a little pricey, this cafe has a lovely selection of food, from snacks and cakes through to full meals. The food on offer is well thought out, resulting in great flavour combinations and plenty of variety. I particularly enjoy having coffee and cake here - the cake cabinet never fails to impress. The lunch specials are also a highlight. I would definitely recommend Bookplate.

• Visited October 2011
“Over Priced”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Whilst the food is nice here, it is way overpriced.
But even worse are the drinks, especially if you want take away. Usually a regular takeaway hot chocolate would be around $4.90. But at bookplate, their 'regulars' are the size of smalls at other cafes, so I had to get a large hot chocolate which they charged me $6.20 for, and thats take away! I even double checked the price, because you can get 600ml coffee eat in for $6.20. The response was that the large take away size is about 560ml so its basically the same.
We measure the take away cup, it overflowed at 450ml.
This cafe really takes advantage of being the only place close by to the national library and obviously amps up their prices because they can.
Oh, and the taste of the hot chocolate? pretty rubbish.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank emily t
Sydney, Australia
“Red Velvet”
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

I love this place. The view is to die for and on a cold Canberra morning the restaurant was as warm as a sauna. Unfortunately the Red Velvet cake at $7 a slice was very tired and perhaps may have been better used in the Library as book binding rather than the stale dry offering I it proved on my plate. I'll be back but please serve up fresh food in it's prime.

Canberra, Australia
“Good, but conditionally so”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Good, not 'very good'. And it's a library cafe, not a restaurant. Parking is a nightmare. If I didn't have to come here for research, I wouldn't come here at all. And I wish the rest of you would stay away so that I could get a park. I come here regularly and it's getting worse - parking speaking - it's simply impossible (no excuse, Canberra!!). 'Claire-away' is right - it's full of oldies (doing genealogy), and students on laptops - which is what one would expect from a state library in Australia. The person who runs this cafe has turned it around, however. It never used to work, but now it does. The food's good enough, not consistent, but the big thing is that they have takeaway food, and a separate counter for coffee so that you don't have to wait behind someone who can't make up their mind. The staff are professional and work hard. Prices are OK, except for sandwiches - they're pretty exy. There's an inside - always full - and an outside, where the magpies are so aggressive that there are notices cautioning us not to feed them. Eating outside on the terrace with the magpies is good if it's not too cold or windy - panoramic lakeshore views of choppy, grey Lake Burley Griffin. Inside, the 'cool' jewel-like stained-glass windows are Leonard French classics. All in all, a stately museum in the classical mould with period Tom Bass overdoor deep-relief sculptures at the entrance, a Henry Moore in the grounds, a nice cafe and bookshop - but parking is a ****!

• Visited August 2012