“Delicious Indian food”
Review of Bollywood Masala Dickson - CLOSED

Bollywood Masala Dickson
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Bollywood Masala is an award winning Indian restaurant operating in Dickson for over 9 years and newly opened in Kingston. Its commitment to cooking food in the traditional indian style, using key ingredients cooked in-house, set it apart from other Indian restaurants. While all dishes are prepared with equal love and attention, signature dishes like the Leg of Lamb, Stuffed Squid, Dal Bollywood and fig and almond kulfi are worth a try. All food is cooked to order and naan breads served fresh from the tandoor. Plenty of vegetarian, gluten free options. Takeaway meals and competitively priced catering services are available.
Canberra, Australia
“Delicious Indian food”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was our second visit and we were again pleasantly surprised. The food is great but I have to agree with one of the previous reviewers that the portions are small for the price. According to the takeaway menu, takeaway is discounted.
The restaurant is always full so it's a good idea to book or get there early. We found the staff pleasant although not "silver service" as e.g., the waiter took my husband's plate and our glasses away while I was still eating. Were they hurrying us up? Proabably not, maybe short of plates!
We certainly would go again.

• Visited December 2012

“Food is great, service really disappointing.”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've been a big fan of the Dickson restaurant and was super excited when they opened in Kingston. I've gotten takeaways a number of times since then and have encouraged numerous people to go, saying it's the best Indian in Canberra.

But after tonight I'm not sure I'll go back.

I ordered over the phone and the woman who took my order was very short and didn't read my order back to me, saying it would be ready in 30 minutes.

40 minutes later we arrived to pick it up to find that our entree had been missed and we had to wait for it to be cooked.

Coming up on an hour after we ordered we were given our food. I expressed concern about the rest of our order being cold, since it had been sitting on the counter for almost half an hour, particularly the naan bread, and was told "we can cook it again now of you want".

I was determined to be positive after such a long wait and the dismissive attitude to how long it had taken.

Finally when we got home we discovered one of our mains was completely wrong and there was no rice.

I wouldn't have usually called back to complain, but after the previous issues I did, explaining that I probably didn't explicitly order rice, but usually if it isn't included it would have been mentioned when I ordered.

The response I got was that I should have ordered rice separately. I agreed that I should have clearly done that, but when ordering over $80 worth of food I assumed it might be included or if it wasn't it could have been made clear to me when I ordered.

I ended up saying I was really disappointed with the service if received and that I just wanted to let them know. Again the woman on the phone didn't seem to care.

I still rate the food, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

BollywoodMasala, Owner at Bollywood Masala Dickson, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hi - first thanks for posting a review, as honest and constructive feedback helps us manage our customer service and associated staff effectively. I am very sorry that you had an adverse experience at our Kingston restaurant. Your feedback has been discussed with the team and you and others should not have to experience such issues again. I wasn't in Australia at the time otherwise would have responded earlier. Please do try and visit us again and if you do ask for Arjan and I am happy to receive further feedback in person from you, as we do take both our food and customer service seriously. I hope we do see you again. Thanks again. Arjan
Canberra, Australia
“So THIS is Indian cuisine!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We've had plenty of Indian cuisine from various restaurants around Canberra & Queanbeyan but thought we'd try Bollywood Masala in Kingston.

I initially went for lunch one day and was absolutely amazed. Spices ground in-house, a clay oven in-house using charcoal, not gas and fresh ingredients and it all shows. It was all very tasty and I've been back to get take-away to bring home to the family.

I will absolutely return!

• Visited November 2012
Canberra
“Spectacular night out”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Bollywood Masala Kingston held a 12 course degustation night as part of Canberra's Taste It Festival. I had booked it as a surprise to attend with my husband. We had a couple of dietary requirements but Arjan was very accomodating and found suitable substitution dishes). My husband was a bit skeptical at first about some courses but we both enjoyed all the courses and majority of the drinks accompanied to the meals (some drinks just weren't to our taste). We ended up only having 11 courses because we were so full by the end of the night.

Only bad thing I can say about the night was that there might have been too many course because it turned out to a very long night (we had arrived at 6pm and left about 10:40pm).

Sweden
“Great food!”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Had a take away and it was really good! Very tender lamb and the seasoning just right. Very friendly staff and quick service.

• Visited November 2012