“Just Right”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Love the fact you are greeted at the door. The food was excellent. I don't really care how many hats the place has. The service was 1st rate and the staff attentive. I will definitely go back.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Having my mother visiting for the weekend, I booked us both in for Dinner 24th May 14, I was very impressed with the set menu and the choices available. The meal was superb, most enjoyable and the atmosphere within the restaurant was excellent, living up to its reputation.

The most outstanding service was second to none! The young lady that served our table ( sorry for not getting her name) was truly professional and delightful, an outstanding representative to this lovely restaurant. We where very impress with her service and the young man that assisted us on selecting a lovely bottle of wine (Sam-Odi) a real treat.
Price... I believe very reasonable for the standard of dining and service. Would not hesitate to return or recommend.

1  Thank Rachel701
Reviewed May 17, 2014

It was a pleasure to dine in this restaurant. I've been previously and the food is always amazing. I love the four course menu. Means you can try lots of different food and the courses are not tiny. Just right! Great wine list and very unpretentious and timely service. One of the by best Canberra has to offer.

1  Thank holidayitisAustralia
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is a restaurant to enjoy, the food is superb, the service is five star and the choice of wines outstanding. This is where you should go to celebrate something special.

1  Thank Fiji20
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My family and I went to Aubergine to celebrate my Mum's 50th birthday. It was a Saturday night and throughout I don't think I saw a single empty table (must be a very efficient booking system!). The door was opened for us, we were greeted and asked if we were "The Campbells?". (Hint: we were). I wonder what gave us away. Very slick :)

The menu was a set 4 courses, with several choices for all but the first course (which was just a little amuse bouche style thing anyway. There was nothing overly surprising in the dishes (duck with orange, chocolate with caramel, etc.) but they were done very well. And for $80 you certainly get your money's worth. The dishes were smaller portions, but not comically so, and I left feeling I had eaten just a little bit over the right amount of food (which I think is the best feeling walking out of a good restaurant.

While there wasn't the absolute slickness of service with the "wow" factor you get from a 3 hatter (Canberra restaurants have part-time uni waiters, not the career waiters of Sydney), this 2 hatter was very friendly, unobtrusive, and it was clear the wait staff worked great as a team. My parent's especially loved how whenever someone left to go to the bathroom, one of the waiters Amy would silently swoop in, roll up their serviette and place it neatly on the table. I wouldn't say the food was "prompt", and I mean that in a good way. Everything was timed well, and for a restaurant where every table was full we were never felt to be rushed, and our waiter (I forget his name) would always offer to explain the dishes. And when we were standing up to leave there was already someone over at the door waiting to open it for us and bid us farewell.

While the overall experience was great, there were several cons amidst all the pros. These were all things I don't particularly worry about but I can see how other's might so I may as well post them in case they are of any use to anyone. First up, on that 8 degree night, we were placed near a door to an outdoor eating area (empty, of course) but occasionally a waiter would have to grab a chair from outside. Now whilst they tried to minimise the time the door was open... Man... Those chills woke us all up! Secondly my girlfriend's Lamb had a small sharp bone in it (proves it's real, I guess!) but that hurt her teeth just a little. The beef was a Rib Eye cut, so it was naturally fatty (one of the reasons it is my favourite cut!), however when presented sliced up there was one piece that was 90% fat! something I didn't mind but I could see bothering others. And finally when our wart was topped up after dessert I think it was accidentally topped up with someone else's sparkling water, because all of a sudden everyone's water had a very soda-like taste to it.

All minor gripes though, that in the scheme of things didn't really matter because overall the food was amazing and the service lovely, and I will definitely come here again!

4  Thank Alex C