“roaringly good!”

National Zoo and Aquarium
Ranked #10 of 246 things to do in Canberra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National Zoo & Aquarium is privately owned and Australia's only combined Zoo and Aquarium.That's 2 attractions in one! We are situated on around 7 hectares of land just five minutes from the centre of Canberra. With a wide variety of both native and exotic animals, as well as the largest inland saltwater tank in Australia, there is something for everyone. Wander in and have a casual stroll around the park, or make a day of it with family, friends and make use of our picnic areas and complimentary BBQ facilities. Our Animal Encounters provide visitors with an opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the worlds most amazing creatures!
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Small with a beautiful layout, its a real pleasure to walk through the grounds. The animals look happy and well fed and as if they are enjoying their surrounds. The snow leopard enclosure is particularly lovely and the white lions are majestic and breathtaking. Its got a heart too; the Asian sun bear who constantly rocks back and forth does so because she found in a cage destined for a restaurant in Cambodia. She is slowly improving and has a life ahead of her now. Do spend the extra and pat the Cheetah - the most brilliant 15 minutes you'll ever have!

1  Thank Eryca-on-hols
Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)
All reviews
"picnic lunch"
"entry fee"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I love this place! You can't help but fall in love with the adorable animals and their playful characteristics. When entering at first the steep price will shock you a little but the reward afterwards is well worth it.
I love the programs that are run here as well, still looking forward to meeting a cheetah.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I gave the Zoo Keeper Tour as a birthday present for my husband in January. This was my first time to the National Zoo and I must say I was very impressed with it and would like to return and do a casual walkaround again.
The Tour was worth every single cent our keeper was very informative and we also had some great experiences such as feeding tigers, handling snakes - the the most amazing experience was feeding the sun-bear my hand full of honey ... I would never have thought that I would ever have a bear eating out of my hand.
If you are keen on getting up close and personal with the animals I suggest a tour - but also a great place to go if you just want to have a nice walk.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The zoo was great, the animals were super cute but it is pricey, to pet a cheetah is $165 per person which I think is insane.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I rather enjoyed my visit to the zoo. The fee was expensive but it felt like a small, intimate wildlife park... that just happened to have big cats and other large animals. The photographic opportunities were great and we enjoyed our behind the scenes encounter with a shark. It may be too expensive for some, especially considering the smaller number of animals, but I thought it was worthwhile to get closer to some of my favourite species.

Will make a return visit.