“Perfectly fine but need a car”

Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel
Ranked #10 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney
“Perfectly fine but need a car”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed here when visiting family in Canberra with my children so was really just a place to lay our heads at night. We found the room perfectly comfortable, clean and quiet. The kids ate at the breakfast buffet one morning and that was okay. Didn't swim in the pool which looked a bit old and shabby. Staff quite friendly and helpful. Canberra accommodation overpriced generally so this was pretty good value for Canberra.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the carpark and it was quiet at night.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Hi there Ibudewi,

Thanks for posting your thoughts here on Tripadvisor. It is fantastic to see that you enjoyed your stay here at BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Best wishes,
Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Greater Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed just for the one night. The front desk staff were polite and friendly. I paid a budget price ($129/night) so was expecting a budget motel, which is what I got. I wouldn't have wanted to pay any more for this room.The room was okay - clean and tidy, and the bed and pillows were comfortable, but not what I'd consider a four star room. It was a bit tired and dated, especially the bathroom (although the complimentary toiletries were a nice touch. My room was near the end of the hallway near an entrance/exit and I was hearing doors slam quite often, but thankfully not too late into the evening. Good parking within the motel grounds and felt quite secure. I didn't eat in the restaurant so can't review the food/service there. Overall, it was okay, but nothing to entice me back there on the next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Heather,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us here at BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel. I'm sorry to see that you didn't feel that we exceeded your expectations. We are committed to providing the best value hotel accommodation in Canberra and we aim for our guests to enjoy each moment of their visit with us.

I am grateful for your feedback and I hope we see you again, so we can provide you with the lasting impression that we strive for.

Safe travels,
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

All aspects of this stay were pleasant with one exception. The kitchen staff in the dining room at breakfast was rude after I politely mentioned a problem with dispensing and toasting equipment. However, the service and comfort other than this experience were very good. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the service was polite.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Miriam,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your visit. I apologise that you experienced an incident with our staff; we always aim to provide warm and efficient service and I'm sorry that we failed on this occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Canberra.

Kind regards
Kinglake, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Whilst the rooms are okay and the free wifi is lightning fast, The bed is uncomfortable and so are the pillows. If you're 4ft nothing you will have trouble with the toilet. However due to the bathroom design the toilet is poorly placed with no leg room.

But the main reason for this review was there restaurant. I ate there on a Monday night. Entree Oyster Kilpatrick, Main Chicken Caesar Salad and a Desert of Sticky Date Pudding.

The Oysters had little or no Worcester Sauce on them I has to ask for some so I could add it. The Salad was lumped with a large piece of chicken dumped on top the lettuce limp and the poached egg very wet and runny. The pudding was very 'interesting' there was not much sticky or date about it. Had a funny taste and not very appetizing. The beer however was cold. For $69 I did expect a little better.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Talhun69,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us; our Executive Chef is an asset to our hotel and consistently receives phenomenal feedback regarding the meals served in the Secret Garden Bar & Restaurant. It is surprising, and disappointing, to read that you did not enjoy your experience and I hope you will give us another chance again in the future.

Best wishes,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed for one night in early April 2014. The staff were friendly, the hotel and our room were clean, the shower was powerful and hot and the bed was very comfortable. Everything in the room worked as it was supposed to; the air con, Foxtel, etc. The hotel is a little dated, but the quiet, peaceful location makes up for that. I would recommend this hotel if you are after a reasonably priced, clean and quiet place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor that overlooks the rear car park - you'll get a very peaceful...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi there BillyMac60,

Many thanks for your review; we are glad you had an enjoyable stay with us here at BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The place looks and feels like a private hospital/nursing home. I do feel that the 4.5 star rating is misleading. The pool and gym was clearly evident of this.

The hotel is located in the middle of no where, meaning if you don't have your own vehicle be prepared to spend a lot on a taxi fares. Its also a 30 min walk to a convenience store.

The customer service was a high quality . The staff were friendly and approachable.

I would not be so critical of this hotel if it wasn't advertised as a 4.5 star rating. This hotel would suit young families and elderly people that don't want to stay in the city.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gi S
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Hi there Gi S,

I'm sorry to see that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us.

Just to clarify a couple of matters that you raised; we are located in the suburbs in Canberra's inner-south, around a five minute drive from the top tourist attractions including Parliament House, the National Gallery and Questacon. The shopping and dining precincts of Manuka and Kingston are also within five minutes drive. For those without a car, public buses stop right out the front of the hotel with routes going directly through the Parliamentary Triangle and city (including all of the spots mentioned above). I certainly agree that taxis are an expensive way to get around Canberra, and we encourage our guests to make use of their car or Canberra's extensive bus network.

Star ratings are determined by Star Ratings Australia, the official body that inspects and rates accommodation across the country. Each property is inspected annually, and we have had no issues maintaining our 4.5 star rating in recent years.

I am glad that some aspects of your visit did meet your expectations and that our fantastic team of staff provided you with great service.

We would love to welcome you back again in the future, to allow us the opportunity to provide you with the superior experience that we aim to offer to all guests.

Thank you for your feedback; it is very gratefully received and I wish you safe travels in the future.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I booked two nights here and was quite lucky to get room 219, which is at the end of the corridor, so didn't have tons of people walking past. I could also see my car from the room in the parking lot, though I would be surprised if vehicle crime is any problem here.

There is ample, free parking at this location (even though it tends to get very busy in the evenings) and the reception area is neat and tidy (though not 24hrs). Check in was relatively painless and there is a lift to the upper floor although it's easily manageable by stairs. They have clever energy saving systems in which the hallway lights extinguish until movement is detected and then they automatically come on.

The room itself was quite nice, there we no discernible signs of wear and tear and the air con was amazing in the sense that it cooled a very warm room in just a few minutes. The Wi-Fi wasn't too bad, and always nice to surf for free. Forget the minibar though, $3.00 - $3.50AUD for a can of Coca-Cola? Go to the Supa IGA nearby (it's close by and can be found on Google Maps) The fridge is big enough to store your chilled stuff.

The bed was comfortable and the TV quite big. The bathroom was very nice and tidy although there wasn't a lot of room to place shower products in the shower. Additionally the sink unit was so big that it obstructed the natural seated position of the toilet and therefore anyone doing 'business' there would find themselves at an angle.

Location wise there are many tourist locations within a short car journey... there are some buses dotted around here but I would recommend using a car for this hotel unless you are familiar (or familiarise yourself) with the local transport.

Room service was very good. I chose a meal from a reasonably priced menu. The entrée of beef strips in honey sauce and nut dressing was extraordinary and so plentiful that it could be eaten by one diner as a main. The main meal I ordered was watery and forgettable, so much so that I couldn't even remember what it was! A restaurant is on site if you prefer that.

Overall though, no problems here... a very decent stay.

Room Tip: Room 219 isn't bad, it's at the end of the corridor so you won't have people walking con...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Eddie C,

I am delighted to see that we provided you with a relaxing, enjoyable and comfortable stay during your visit to Canberra.

We are very pleased that you have made the effort to share your feedback here on Tripadvisor. We think this is a great resource for travellers to share their experiences to help other travellers pick the accommodation and tourist attractions most suitable to their circumstances.

Our goal here at BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel is to offer a hassle-free and reliable guest experience, with modern, quality furnishings and warm, friendly service. It is very encouraging to see that we met these goals during your stay.

Thanks for posting your review and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Canberra.

Safe travels,