“Great Service”

Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel
Ranked #10 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at the Garden City Hotel for two night whilst on business. It is a very comfortable hotel, although it is located some distance from the main business, shopping and tourist areas of Canberra.

What impressed me most about the hotel was excellent service I received both during and after my stay. The staff are to be complimented on making people feel very welcome. They also deserve great credit for their honesty and excellent follow up service, which I experienced when I left a reasonably expensive jacket in my room. I didn't immediately miss the jacket as I was returning to a warmer climate. However, it was found and returned to me very promptly when I called the hotel to ask whether I had left it there a couple of weeks previously.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ArionHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Georgie,

It is fantastic to see that our staff provided you with such fantastic service. Our Front Desk team try their best to provide efficient and comprehensive service, whilst still being unobtrusive to our guests.

Thanks for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Canberra's BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 8 days while we were on a business trip. The rooms were equipped with modern amenities and free wi-fi internet. The staff was kind and very helpful. The food at the restaurant was very expensive, but excellent! (Service was a little slow so we had to make sure we had plenty of time to dine.) We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The only complaint that we had is that the cleaning staff was not very thorough. The bed was not always made. Sometimes I had to call the front desk for towels or coffee packets. If you do not rent a car, this hotel is not for you. There really aren't any shops or restaurants near it. You need to drive everywhere.

Dear Jamie M,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us at BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel here in Canberra. We appreciate that you have made the effort to share your experiences with the world here on Tripadvisor.

If you are ever back with us here at Garden City Hotel, our Front Desk team would be most happy to provide the bus timetables for the services that stop just a minutes walk from our front door. These buses run right past the great tourist attractions on the southern side of Lake Burley Griffin and then into the Canberra CBD.

Thanks again and safe travels,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My partner booked this as a Wotif mystery deal, and we were very pleased with the room- we stayed in a Deluxe Queen Suite and it was spacious, clean, comfortable. Lovely bathroom, fluffy towels and bathrobes- always a winner!

The bed was deliciously comfortable, we didn't want to get up on our last morning! The staff were friendly and attentive- make sure to grab some hot chocolate sachets at reception, it's delicious!

The mini bar was reasonably priced and the free wifi was fast and easy to access.

My only issue was their "full breakfast" at $19 it's standard price for substandard fare- instead of a hot buffet you order a hot dish. I ordered poached eggs with bacon & sausage- the eggs were overcooked and it was on 99 cent white bread. The food on offer was basic at best, I would recommend they step up their game in terms of breakfast- I've paid less for more at many hotels.

Besides that we had a wonderful stay and if we could get the room at the same low price we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor with pool view are quieter and have a nicer atmosphere than looking over t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
ArionHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Bec J,

Thanks for your review of your stay with us here at BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel. We are glad that you had such a great time with us and enjoyed your visit to Canberra.

Your comments regarding breakfast are appreciated and we will discuss recent feedback in this area at our next management meeting.

We regularly have some fantastic online specials on our website - google us and I'm confident that you will find a great deal on your next visit.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night in a standard queen room. I booked the room on line thinking I was booking a Turner exhibition package. Although I was wrong about the package I really appreciated the time and trouble taken by the staff ( thanks Molly ) to sort things out to our satisfaction. All staff at the desk were smiling and courteous and the whole place had a nice " feel " about it.
The room was compact - what we wanted - but clean and comfortable. No problems with toilets or showers or basins or tiles. Although situated next to the car park and rear entrance, noise was not obtrusive although there was a bit of noise from the adjoining room.
My only gripe is with the website which invited me to click on National Gallery packages but threw up all the motel's available rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
ArionHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Colin,

Thanks for your review and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel.

It is great to know that you found our staff fantastic to deal with. We have a great team and appreciate that you have acknowledged Mollie's efforts. She is one of the many superstars we currently have with us on our Front Desk.

We hope to welcome you back to Canberra again in the future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was a bit worried when we pulled up out the front of this hotel, the outside and location is a little drab but after checking in we ( hubby, baby and I ) were very pleased with the room and bathroom, it was modern enough and we had gotten a good rate online.

The staff were very friendly throughout our stay, Unfortunately we found the restaurant menu over priced and we were very disappointed with the $19 cooked breakfast - the food was not up to standard for. 4.5 star hotel so i would suggest opting for the continental if you need to eat at the hotel. I did leave this feedback in the room and have no problem recommending the room or hotel otherwise.

For dinner I would suggest going next door to the German club, the restaurant "knuckles" had amazing German food. Make sure you book though, we only just got a seat, seems the locals are fans too! We went along to the old bus depot markets on Sunday too which are close to the hotel. They had lots of fresh food and handmade crafts and art.

For a good deal I'd stay again but from a guests perspective this is a 3.5 star hotel.

Room Tip: As other reviews suggest the walls seem to be very thin, we were worried about having the baby wakin...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sonja N
ArionHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Sonja,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with other travellers; we love that Tripadvisor allows guests to provide advice and recommendations.

We will be discussing your feedback regarding breakfast with our Chef. We are well aware that all aspects our guests' experiences need to be great value and I'm sorry to read that of your disappointment in this area. You mention the German restaurant 'Knuckles' next door; it certainly is a local favourite and many of our guests provide great feedback of their experience there.

I am glad that you found your stay to be good value and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I booked this room after reading favourable reviews on trip advisor,

The first thing we noticed when entering the room was the overpowering smell of bleach.
The rooms aren't very soundproof and you can hear people quite clearly in the hall and adjoining rooms.
The exhaust fan in the bathroom didn't appear to work and the bathroom filled with steam every time you had a shower.
The lights in the bathroom and room stopped working and we had to pack up and move to another room, maybe all the steam shorted the lights.
We had the cooked breakfast the first day and it was very good.Twice we had the buffet breakfast due to it being Sunday and Public Holiday and both days the food in the bain marie was stone cold, cold bacon and eggs arent a good way to start the day.

Overall the experience with this hotel was very disappointing and I would look elsewhere for a room in Canberra

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rodney D

Dear Rodney,

Thanks for your comments regarding your room and experience with breakfast. We are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed for a couple of nights, and found the usual paper thin walls a bit of an issue as other guests were staying in adjoining rooms (annoying considering how empty the place was!), and I could hear their every move. External noise wasn't an issue-just sounds from other rooms and people coming and going in the hallway. Comfortable bed, acceptable bathroom and shower, but I agree with Echica 1 that there was no real warmth to the place. The food at the restaurant was very good though, albeit quite pricey.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Beerwench36

Dear Beer,

Thanks for your review and comments regarding your stay with us.

It is great to know that you enjoyed your meal at the Secret Garden Bar & Restaurant. Our Executive Chef Wayne is very experienced and we are privileged to have him leading our kitchen team.

Your feedback is appreciated and our management team always discusses the issues raised during our weekly meetings.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back in the future.