“Great place, outside of town, but easy access and free carparking”

Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel
Ranked #10 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've stayed here quite a few times now and it's been consistently good. The last time was in March 2011, the next is coming up in July 2011.

Canberra is a city that is hard to get around without a car, the hotel prices are overpriced and the hotel rooms a much lower standard than a lot of other places in Australia. BUT this place is great. They refurbished it over the last couple of years, and it shows. The rooms are really well laid out, a good size, very clean and the staff are terrific.

The place is a little out of town, between the airport and the city, but if you're driving it really doesn't matter and it has free parking and is close to a few suburbs that have great restaurants (on the roads into the city). Free parking is largely not available at other hotels around Canberra, but this place is absolutely competitively priced. I usually book through Wotif, though most of the booking spaces do good deals.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
GardenCityCanberra, Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2011

Dear Sandy,

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel here at Tripadvisor.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoy staying with us and have been pleased with our recent refurbishments. We aim to employ a great team of staff while providing clean and modern rooms and facilities at reasonable prices.

Thanks again for your review and I hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Canberra.

Kind regards,
Ryan

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2011

Great location for access to Airport, Fyshwick and Canberra attractions. Modern, contemporary rooms. Good on-site restaurant for breakfast & dinner. Also offers swimming pool & well equipped gym all at a very reasonable rate. Very convenient stopover for an early morning flight. We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Smallest hotel room I have seen in Australia, Not very good. If the rooms are small then at least offer something, but this place is at best below average.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank jsnothome
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Stayed here on business so would like a good Internet connection. It was terrible, no wi-fi and login via LAN cable is a night mare. The towels were hard like sand paper. I don't have delicate skin but this is terrible. Apart from that the place was recently renovated so is not bad.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Having read some of the reviews I was a bit aprehensive about confirming the booking but in view of the fact everywhere else was fully booked we stayed.
It wasnt as bad as some reviews claim. The staff were efficient and friendly, the rooms clean and well furnished. It was quiet - obviously the refurbishment is complete. The only negative I would mention is the site mentioned ALL rooms overlooked the garden etc - ours didnt - it overlooked the car park, ie on the opposite side of the rooms with a view.
Recommended if you are not looking for top class accomodation which you do pay for in Canberra.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2010

After booking online and requesting a cot, a young lady phoned me back to say that they did not have a porta cot and would I like a refund. I said I'd keep my booking as I was able to bring my own cot. About five minutes later the poor girl rang me back and was obviously being barked instructions by a bossy, overbearing superior in the background as she was very unsure of herself as she spoke to me. She explained that I could upgrade to an apartment as there would be enough room then. As this was the most reasonably priced accommodation in Canberra, I agreed to pay the extra.
On arrival, we were greeted by two very timid girls on reception and when I questioned if there would be a porta cot available in my room a senior staffer tore round the corner and proceeded to tell me in no uncertain terms that they had rung me and they told me that there was no porta cot and you agreed to pay the extra money and I've got it all on file here if you dispute anything. I was absolutely flabbergasted! Firstly, I simply requested "was there a porta cot." We had been travelling for over a week with a different hotel every night, so I couldn't remember who had porta cots and who didn't. Anyway, I was so disgusted by the confrontational attack that this woman subjected me to. She did not even give the girl on reception a chance to tell me if there was a porta cot or not. Nor did she give me a chance to say "It's okay that you don't have a portacot - I was just asking."
Then my third encounter with the senior staff member was on checkout. She hung over the shoulder of the girl who was serving me and not once even bothered to acknowledge or greet me. I then apparently had the audacity to request access to the internet provided in the reception lounge, the demeanour of this senior staff member made it obvious that it really was an inconvenience for her to provide me with the code and basically, the sooner I was gone the better.
As for the hotel itself, I have no complaints. It was clean and the room very spacious with more than enough creature comforts. The price was ridiculous, but all the prices in Canberra are crazy and this was the best value for money that I could find. The downside to that was that it was in the middle of nowhere. Not really close to the city or the outskirts. Also, the parking is very limited.
Although it is the most reasonably priced property in the area there is no way I will be going back to this property. I will never again pay money to be treated so rudely ever again.
My written complaint has been acknowledged by a general reply only.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank fordfever001
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My friend and I stayed 2 nights at Best Western Garden city motel during the queen's birthday long weekend. The hotel room was clean , bed was very comfortable. You even find a stocked mini bar fridge in each room which I did not expect. The bathroom was clean even though not as modern as the the bedroom. The location was good if you travelling by car and by the way, they offer free car parking.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends