“ORDINARY”

Argyle Executive Apartments
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canberra
Argyle Executive Apartments
Horsham, Australia
“ORDINARY”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Location was great but that was it!! Apartments look good on the outside but that is where it finishes. For the price we paid it was very ordinary accommodation for " Executive Apartments " .... I really cannot say any more but very disappointed

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank carolyn b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This review is hard for me to do because the guy who administers the apartments available for rent is helpful and friendly and the location of this apartment complex is excellent being about 5 minutes walk from the main shopping mall (the Canberra Centre) in the heart of the city - they are located in the adjacent old world suburb of Reid which has leafy tree lined streets - the Argyle complex has lovely gardens around the apartment blocks which was quite pleasing to me.

Argyle Executive Apartments are in a big complex of mainly 3 level apartment blocks most of which are privately owned - the apartments for rent are mostly in the first block next to their office (they own that block) but I was told that there are a few other apartments scattered around the complex that they can sometimes use as rentals - I was supposed to be in that first block in a one bedroom apartment but upon arrival in Canberra I was told I had been assigned a bigger 2 bedroom apartment (no use to me as I was by myself) at the far end of the Argyle complex - it was apartment 12 on the first floor of a 3 level block of privately owned/lived in apartments.

My apartment was big and spacious with a good sized balcony overlooking the lovely internal gardens and across to another 3 level apartment block. There are no elevators so if you have a heavy/big suitcase then you need to get it up the internal staircase if you are above ground level.

These apartment blocks are older and hence many would need to have renovations done in due course. In my case, apartment 12 had a newish kitchen but the rest of it was older but quite functional - the televisions were the exception - no modern LCD or LED televisions in apartment 12, they were the old style TVs hooked up to a digital set top box and then each was connected to an internal TV antenna resulting in patchy reception on the bedroom TV (very frustrating having to regularly move the smallish antenna around trying to get or improve the reception!) - it was better reception on the lounge room TV but even then I had to occasionally move the antenna a bit to get reception on certain channels - this is just not good enough in this day and age where LCD/LED televisions are now so cheap and in most homes and holiday accommodation! I also had no luck playing one of my DVDs in the bedroom DVD player (just refused to play) - in the lounge room DVD player I managed to get the DVD to play but there was no sound! A complaint to the office saw one of their staff come into my apartment trying to fix the issue but without success.

Now on to my main gripe about apartment 12 - the noisy owners in the apartment on the top floor straight above me - out of the 6 nights I was there I had annoying excessive noise from above on several nights and sometimes during the day (I did not go out every day) - I think the apartment above has hard floors and so any noise would be amplified and I don't think the apartments do too well acoustically preventing as much sound transmission as possible between floors/walls based on my experience. I complained (nicely of course) to the office and asked if I could be moved into another apartment but no luck because they said they had no vacancies - so I just had to grin and bear it! I think there were guys living above aged in their 20s to 30s and they played music at night (not all nights) and it was not terribly loud but loud enough for me to hear it (especially the bass notes) and I could hear their laughter etc - they also had a few friends over at times plus they seemed to enjoy dropping things onto their floor which of course annoyed me greatly as those noises seemed to transmit straight through the floor down to me!

The only other issue with apartment 12 was a leaking hot water tap in the bathroom basin, a crack in one side of the shower alcove glass and some peeling paint and chips out of the vanity unit - in other words, there were some things that needed fixing up/painting.

Finally, I want to make it clear that my review is ONLY about apartment 12 and not any others - I said to the office girl on the day before I left that I will never stay in apartment 12 again but would stay in one of the apartments in the block they own at the other end of the Argyle complex (adjacent to their office as they would have much better control in regard to issues like noise from other apartments in that block) - they told me they could not do much about the people above apartment 12 because it was a privately owned apartment and hence not under their control.

Room Tip: Avoid apartment 12 (the one I stayed in) at the far end of the complex due to noisy neighbours in a...