“Cheers for a good time”
Review of Mr Shabu Shabu

Mr Shabu Shabu
Ranked #468 of 1,505 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Shabu Shabu is basically individual hotpot/steamboat. In my opinion the beef shabu shabu is the best. Close to ANU so prices are decent (for Canberra standards). You know a Japanese restaurant is good when you see Japanese patrons inside.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Looking for good sashimi late on a Sunday night in Canberra to satisfy my girlfriend's craving, I sought the advice of the concierge at the hotel I was staying. Although enthusiastic all her recommendations were unfortunately closed on Sundays. Searching on the internet didn't turn anything up either. At this point we decided to drive around the city centre aimlessly in the hope of finding something and I was drawn to the only area that was showing signs of life, the UniLodge. This in fact had a few asian restaurants open around it and one of them was Mr Shabu Shabu, that I assumed was Japanese from the name. Well we were in luck and there was definitely sashimi on the menu. After sitting down in a cosy back corner we noticed that the prices were very reasonable (thinking this might be a bad thing) we ordered a large amount of sashimi and I had an extra tonkatsu ramen. My fears were completely unfounded because the sashimi arrived in very large portions (twice the size you get in Sydney for the same price), was very fresh and well prepared. This however was not the best part as I tucked into my ramen I discovered it was great, probably the best I've tasted. All ingredients and broth were delicious, I particularly liked the corn addition (which I'd not had before), it reminded me of my mother's vegetable soup. This place is highly recommended definitely not last resort on Sunday night quality.

3  Thank Nathrogers