“Get into it.”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2012

It is very hard to find a rib place in Australia, so I will compare the food to what I have experienced in places like Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City.
This. Meat. Is. Awesome.
For value and a good introduction to this style of food, you can't beat the BBQ Trifecta. The pork ribs are succulent and the meat falls off the bones. The pulled pork and brisket are full of flavour, and go well with a side of potato salad or three mac n cheese. The mac n cheese is southern style, tastes just like it should, and is nothing like the soggy microwave stuff that most Aussies seem to be familiar with. The 1/2kg beef rib is just one rib - very tasty and perfectly cooked, but too expensive compared to the other options.
The venue does get a bit noisy once it is full. Don't be afraid to get your hands covered in sauce, that's what the paper towels are for. This is real food. Get into it.

1  Thank Grhingo

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Today my group of 20 visited smoque for a Xmas lunch. $40 per head and I ate 1 rib and two mouthfuls of pulled pork. The food was great but for $40 we were ripped off! We would have been better ordering from the menu. DO NOT opt for a group menu as they will rip you off!!!

1  Thank Rustler3000
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I'm from the South where BBQ is a way of life, an art; not a science. Based on my lifelong experience of eating properly prepared Southern American BBQ, Smoque in Canberra was the worst I've had in my life and in no way should be called American BBQ. The only thing I can compare it to would be taking a wombat that been laying on the side of the road for three days, slathering it in diesel, and cooking over old truck tires. The ribs were greasy and way overcooked with no taste what-so-ever. I also ordered the mac and cheese side dish, which was worse. It was burnt and floating in some kind of oil. My question: how can you mess up mac and cheese? Kids can make it. Now the good points: the beer was cold, served properly and reasonably priced. They also had a decent looking pumpkin pie and New York style cheese cake. Unfortunately my main meal so bad, and overpriced for what I got, I wasn't going to waste any more money at Smoque. Did not try the pulled pork, but I'm not going back. BOTTOM LINE: AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

2  Thank DipCourier
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Went here for a group function and was informed could only have the table for an hour. So we had to eat and drink quickly.

The food is amazing!! Definitely love the pulled pork and buffalo wings... Especially love the spice temperature choice - mild, hot and suicidal! No joke.

Yes the place is noisy and buzzing with people so it's not a place for a romantic dinner for two but a place to enjoy sensational food.

You need to get in early if you want to get a table but it is worth it. They have a bar so alcohol/drinks are all taken care of.

I will be back for more yumminess.

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

The ribs and pulled pork top the list of a delicious selection of American diner style food. Great salads, disappointing fries and terrific meat - great for the boys in the house. Dressings and sauces complimented the dishes well