“New Year at the East”
Review of East Hotel

East Hotel
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My wife and I usually get up to Canberra yearly, and like to stay around Kingston. Stayed at the relatively new East Hotel this time around, which was our first time stay at this hotel.

Lovely modern hotel conveniently located within vary easy walking distance of both Kingston and Manuka shops and restaurants.

Stayed in a fourth floor 1 bedroom apartment. Very nicely appointed, and laid out with contemporary furniture, lovely artwork, and generous spaces.

Kitchen and bathroom both very very well thought through and detailed. We cooked in the kitchen and everything we needed was there.

Didn't eat in the restaurant as it was closed for renovations which was a bit of a shame. The public areas are generous and the staff both front of house and back of house were great. Room WiFi very good.

It looks new, very clean, and obviously everyone takes a lot of pride in what they do and the space that they represent. We had a really lovely time there, and in particular a quiet relaxed new years eve. We wouldn't hesitate to go back, and look forward o our next opportunity.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Greg B
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Hello Greg B,

Thank you for reminiscing of New Years at EAST!

We are delighted you took the opportunity to stay with us and hope you get to return soon. You'll see our friends at Ox are still doing great things and keeping dynamic things happening with their menu.

Please do let us know when you are looking to return.

There are newer reviews for East Hotel

Reviewed March 19, 2014

To us, Manuka is the best suburb in which to stay in Canberra as the shops, restaurants and bars are top notch, so it makes sense to stay at the East Hotel which is less than 5 minutes walk to everything Manuka has to offer. We really enjoyed our stay in this newly built, very modern hotel. We booked a Luxe Studio which was a large room, well furnished and very comfortable - Table and Chairs both in room and on the balcony, a lovely chaise longue for relaxing, a desk and a King Size bed. The Bathroom contained a spa bath as well as a large shower alcove, was very clean and modern and the toiletries were good quality and replenished daily. Although we didn't use the kitchen facilities, they looked pretty comprehensive if you needed to cook simple meals - a 2 ring hotplate, microwave, toaster and lots of pots and pans. There was also a Nespresso machine. House keeping was excellent and most staff were friendly and efficient. We also used the car park which was large and easy to access and was just $10.00 per day. Wifi was quick and the free daily allowance was plentiful. In all we had a great stay and would recommend this hotel. All the Tourist sites in spread out Canberra were less than 15 minutes away.

Room Tip: High Floor best, but given that the hotel in only 5 floors high and the views from all rooms are of...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MadamJosephine

Why hello there MadamJosephine,

It's an honour and a privilege to have someone with such a high TripAdvisor profile stay with us and provide such thorough feedback!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor world and providing a compact, yet detailed review of your stay.

Please do let us know when you intend on returning. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Initially booked a 1 night stay-cation in a 2 brm apartment with kid's cubby, and loved it so much we stayed an extra night! The kids loooooooved having their own room with bunk beds, xbox and kid-friendly mini- bar, and hubby and I loved having our own space. Funky furniture and lovely bathroom products were appreciated. Dinner at the restaurant was lovely, and breakfast was fantastic (obviously the management has heeded previous reviews on that front!). Service was impressive. Highly recommended!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank F0xf0rce5
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Hello F0xf0rce5,

What a lovely review from a local on a "staycation"! We are delighted to hear the whole family enjoyed their stay.

We do strive to make every stay unique but we particularly take joy in providing a great experience for our family travellers. Many of us have travelled extensively with young families and have worked hard to find the right balance of tasteful fun for our guests here at EAST.

It's also great to hear you tried breakfast. It is a pretty extensive offering and at great value.

And thank you too for the feedback on the service. We hope you get away again soon for a staycation. Maybe find a babysitter and come back for an anniversary - have an extended drink and dinner at Ox and simply wander back to your room!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I've stayed at East on two separate occasions on business trips to Canberra. On the first occasion a few things went slightly wrong; this can happen in any industry and it is how the business reacts and addresses the issue that counts. I contacted the hotel manager to advise him and he couldn't have been more apologetic or sincere in his attempts to rectify the situation.
The second time I stayed at the hotel the service received exceeded my expectations. The room was perfectly cleaned, the amenities were fantastic and the staff continued to provide a prompt and polite service.
I'd happily stay here again and would highly recommend East Hotel for visitors to Canberra.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Kirsten M

Hello Kirsten M,

Thank you for your response and staying at EAST! We know many business travellers have many choices when it comes to accommodation but I am personally grateful you gave us the opportunity to provide you with the accurate depiction of an EAST Experience after the few hiccups on your first stay.

I know you mentioned you don't travel to Canberra too regularly but I do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed one night in a studio room while in Canberra to visit the Gold & the Incas exhibition. The room was perfect for just one person. Arriving at the hotel just after 12 noon, my room was ready and I was able to check in. The room was as described with a small kitchen just inside the front door (I didn't use it), a luxurious king size bed, desk, small dining table and a comfortable lounge chair. The bathroom was perfect for one but I would think too small for 2 people, with a single basin and not a lot of bench space. I had a pre dinner drink at the bar downstairs which was very quiet and lacking atmosphere (perhaps the hotel was quiet because parliament wasn't sitting?). I also had breakfast the following morning and this was the only disappointing aspect of my stay. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, but it didn't live up to the standard the hotel had set itself in other areas. The buffet wasn't well stocked, with an empty milk jug and platter, a couple of slices of cheese and ham and a very small and sad selection of pastries. There was bread to toast, a small selection of cereal and some yoghurt. The only fruit was a fruit salad in a little glass preserving jar. Eggs any way could be ordered at the bar. Of my two poached eggs, one was deliciously runny and the other a solid lump. As I said, breakfast was fine, but could be better. I would definitely stay at the hotel again, but I'd walk to Kingston or Manuka for breakfast next time (both less than 10 minutes' walk away) with Griffith just a few minutes more. Wireless internet in my room was free for the first 100mb per 24 hours and adequate for me. There were also 3 Macs in the foyer for guest use. The gym was clean, had a couple of TVs, clean towels, shower facilities, a treadmill, rower, a couple of bikes and a few weights. Next time, I'd make use of the free bikes to go for a ride around the lake. The extra touch of lolly jars in the foyer was great! I had a very comfortable stay and would choose to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank CaterinaDue

Dear CaterinaDue,

Hello! And thank you for taking the time to provide the extensive feedback regarding your recent experience at EAST!

I am delighted to hear that overall your experience was great but am also disappointed to hear things weren't quite up-to-par for the breakfast experience during your stay. It sounds like you may have visited right after a very busy rush (although that doesn't explain the inconsistent eggs), but I'm not into making excuses. I would like to offer you breakfast complimentary on your next stay though.

Thank you again for staying at EAST. I look forward to hearing from you with regards to your next visit. The breakfast will be stocked and the eggs perched!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Great location, some nice restaurants in easy walking distance but easy parking if you prefer to drive, my room was fantastic, spacious and very clean. The hotel was quiet and staff were fantastic. Great value!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kayt83

Hello Kayt83,

Thank you for staying at EAST and taking time to write about your experience.

It's always impressive to see those who travel so frequently and take the time to write about their experiences.

Thank you again, it was an honour for us to have served you during your visit to Canberra!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

The rooms and facilities at East Hotel were great and I had no problems with the hotel. However, the service was poor quality from arrival to departure and no one employed at the hotel seemed to care. My room was ready when I arrived which I expected but I didn't expect to be told to "go away and come back later". At check out I asked reception to book taxi for a specific pick up time. They clearly forgot but didn't have the integrity to admit they forgot and blamed it in the taxi company. As I said the rooms were great but plenty if hotels have great rooms and facilities, it is the service that differentiates the good from the great. I wouldn't stay here again by choice but I wouldn't refuse to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank fsplk

Hello fsplk,

Thank you for staying at EAST and taking the time to share your experience.

I must say, reading about your experience caught us by surprise. It seems quite uncharacteristic of my team or anything guests normally experience here but we take all comments very seriously. We have since spent time with our whole team and had some intense conversations and training to ensure no guest ever experiences again something as you have written about.

We do look forward to having the opportunity to provide a proper EAST Experience for you. Please do let us know the next time you travel to Canberra as we'd love to have you with us.