East Hotel
$127
$115
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$90
Novotel Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$118
$98
  • Restaurant
Hotel Kurrajong Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$98
Brassey Hotel(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$112
$102
Avenue Hotel Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$126
$129
$94
Hotwire.com
2,014 results
All reviewsjoe's barluxe studiofree lollieslolly jarsx boxnespresso machinemanuka ovalkingston shopsone bedroom apartmentmodern hotelfantastic hotelcooking facilitiesin houserooms are spaciousspa bathfull kitchenhome away from home
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Mmmmm....interesting...amongst all the hype about being 'different' and 'unique' this hotel/apartment complex is really just like many of the other hotels in Canberra that gouge what they can from travellers' pockets whenever possible.

$30 a night for a rollaway for a child?

Seriously people..when we stay at the Canberra Hyatt, they don't charge this - and nor do most of the other apartments we've stayed at in our frequent visits to Canberra.

This hotel has the chance to build a good reputation, but that will only happen if people don't feel like they've been ripped off

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank aussiesseetheworld
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Hello Aussiesseetheworld,

We're delighted you stayed with us but utterly confused by your "review".

You say we're like every other hotel in Canberra in that we charge for extra people but you say no other hotel you stay in Canberra charges for this?

We only charge when extra beds and bedding must be provided - a standard consistent across virtually every hotel in Canberra because there is a real cost. If we knew the extra beds were for kids, we would have also provided kids with cookies - and offered our kids cubbies to stay in.

Families love staying with us and the number of repeat families is something we are very proud of. I'm perplexed by your review and would love the opportunity to talk constructively with you regarding your stay.

Should you wish to pay hundreds more at the other hotel you mention, feel free, otherwise we look forward to providing incredible new facilities for our guests at a very competitive rate.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I’m just back from staying at East and would happily stay there again. The hotel interior is very designed and modern without being cold. In fact, it’s visually playful and welcoming. My room was a good size (without being huge), the bathroom and TV were great and (for me) the bed was very comfortable – firm but large and luxurious. And the room was wonderfully quiet. I had the sense that the hotel was built with soundproofing in mind and it’s paid off. I can’t comment on the restaurant because I didn’t use it but be aware – the printed material in the room says breakfast is till 10.30am. In fact, it’s only to 10.00am (the reason I didn’t get to use it). But both Kingston and Manuka are an easy five minute walk away - another bonus - and both have plenty of great places to eat. East is one of the better hotels I’ve stayed at recently.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Zigster59!

So glad you enjoyed your stay at East Hotel!

A lot of effort has gone into the detail of the hotel and you've picked a number of them.

The guys down at Ox Eatery have adjusted their hours to 7am-10am due to the fact they received very few clients before or after these times. We apologise on behalf of Ox if this caused any inconvenience. We'd love to hear what you thought of some of our local restaurants and cafes in Kingston and Manuka - the "hot spots" keep growing around us!

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This property has only been open a few months. I found it to be absolutely perfect. Everything has been thought of. Things I liked, in no particular order, a room safe I could fit my laptop into, bench space in the bathroom, plenty of hot water in the shower, a pod coffee machine with 3 free pods a day, power points everywhere I needed one, absolutely quiet despite a noisy bar down stairs, plenty of secure parking, plenty of lifts. I didn't sleep well the first two nights. A soft topper on the bed for the third night fixed that. You just have to ask for it. Watch out for the ipod docking radio alarm clock. Went off in the middle of the night . I couldn't figure out how to cancel alarms so I just switched it off for the rest of my stay. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a first floor apartment facing away from the roads on the opposite side of the hotel to the bar. Nice and quiet. No traffic noise or noise from the busy bar.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Hello BeenThere55,

Thank you for your response! We'd love to have you back and please be sure we know of your request for a mattress topper when you make your reservation as we'll add this request to your profile so you never have to ask again - it will always be done! On a separate note, we have ordered mattress toppers for all of our beds and will conversely *remove* them upon request!

It looks like the gremlins got to your alarm clock - apologies! We've reiterated to the housekeeping team the importance of checking this detail when servicing the rooms.

Otherwise, we're glad you enjoyed the amenity - the coffee pods, the quiet rooms, the popular bar, abundance of parking and quick access to lifts.

We look forward to welcoming you back to East Hotel!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Positives: great location, near two pubs - Kingston (or Kingo) and Eastlakes..great if you enjoy a good pub meal and enjoy a flutter on the pokies! Also close to Manuka, once again, great for eating out. Decor in East Hotel was very lovely. Cannot comment on the restaurant as we did not eat there. Toiletries were nice. Undercover parking $10 per night, which is reasonable considering how hard parking is around this area and that you have to shift your car every two hours due to the parking wardens that roam the area.

Negatives: Try and NOT get a room on the Canberra Avenue side as it tends to be rather noisy (we were on the 4th floor). Air conditioner rattled continously throughout the night, which was a bit annoying. Bed was extremely hard, and good if you like a bed like this. However, they do offer a mattress topper on request. Shower pressure was good..though the way they design showers in hotels is bizarre as the water always seems to leak out onto the floor in the bathroom..due to the join of the glass/door...

Value for money: A standard room costs around $180 per night. For Canberra, this is around the price you pay. Would I stay at East Hotel again? Mmmm...probably, but would make sure I had a room that was quieter and a bed that was softer :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Dragons11,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at East Hotel.

For your future stays, we would be delighted to place a plush mattress topper on your bed and ensure you have a different view/aspect of Canberra. Please contact me directly so we may update your profile as we aim to customise our guests stays.

Prefer a flavour of Nespresso or a certain type of soft drink? Let us know these as well and we'll customise your return visits so much you'll think you're coming home when you arrive!

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

New but flawed in my view. The bed was very hard, the worst I have slept (a bit) on ever. There is no comfortable chair for reading or watching TV. I hate being forced to watch from the bed. I realise this is not uncommon but that doesn't make it better! I can't comment about the restaurant as I couldn't get in and had to eat at the pub next door. Breakfast was very limited for the price. I won't go back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello Phillip4911,

Thank you for staying with us taking the time to write into TripAdvisor.

It sounds like you stayed in one of our entry level studios equipped with a kitchenette, Nespresso machine, dining table with 2 chairs, work desk with chair, a king sized bed and a spacious bathroom. The studio you stayed in did have an ottoman but we do have others with lounge chairs with matching ottoman.

It is unfortunate we didn't know you wanted something more to sit on. Should any member of the team have known, they would have been happy to let you know your options (or, importantly, as you state this is common, let us know before hand, we could have avoided this by allocating you to an appropriate room type for your travel needs).

We take pride in our brand new custom-made beds. We do recognise they are firm (as we're told this is best for sleeping posture) and have a card next to the bed offering to place mattress toppers (as well as softer or harder pillows) on the beds for our guests.

We are very fortunate to have such a popular restaurant at our establishment - Ox Eatery has been blessed with great owners, management, wait staff and incredible chefs. This results in a very busy venue for it's prime time which is dinner. The EAST team would have been more than happy to recommend an enormous variety of restaurants in either Manuka or Kingston (each about a 5 minute walk). I do hope you enjoyed the Kingston Hotel (pub) across the road - it's casual but quite a Canberra institution.

Ox does offer a continental breakfast (a changing variety but usually includes the basics: pastries, sliced meat and cheeses, breads, yoghurts, homemade bircher muesli and even boxed cereals if the rest is a bit fancy) for our hotel guests and at $15 including Nespresso coffee all of which is quite competitive.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope you enjoy your next stay in the nations capital.