“Beautifully Appointed New Apartment”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of East Hotel

East Hotel
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Australia
“Beautifully Appointed New Apartment”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This property has only been open a few months. I found it to be absolutely perfect. Everything has been thought of. Things I liked, in no particular order, a room safe I could fit my laptop into, bench space in the bathroom, plenty of hot water in the shower, a pod coffee machine with 3 free pods a day, power points everywhere I needed one, absolutely quiet despite a noisy bar down stairs, plenty of secure parking, plenty of lifts. I didn't sleep well the first two nights. A soft topper on the bed for the third night fixed that. You just have to ask for it. Watch out for the ipod docking radio alarm clock. Went off in the middle of the night . I couldn't figure out how to cancel alarms so I just switched it off for the rest of my stay. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a first floor apartment facing away from the roads on the opposite side of the hotel to the ba...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hello BeenThere55,

Thank you for your response! We'd love to have you back and please be sure we know of your request for a mattress topper when you make your reservation as we'll add this request to your profile so you never have to ask again - it will always be done! On a separate note, we have ordered mattress toppers for all of our beds and will conversely *remove* them upon request!

It looks like the gremlins got to your alarm clock - apologies! We've reiterated to the housekeeping team the importance of checking this detail when servicing the rooms.

Otherwise, we're glad you enjoyed the amenity - the coffee pods, the quiet rooms, the popular bar, abundance of parking and quick access to lifts.

We look forward to welcoming you back to East Hotel!

Todd Handy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Indonesian first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Positives: great location, near two pubs - Kingston (or Kingo) and Eastlakes..great if you enjoy a good pub meal and enjoy a flutter on the pokies! Also close to Manuka, once again, great for eating out. Decor in East Hotel was very lovely. Cannot comment on the restaurant as we did not eat there. Toiletries were nice. Undercover parking $10 per night, which is reasonable considering how hard parking is around this area and that you have to shift your car every two hours due to the parking wardens that roam the area.

Negatives: Try and NOT get a room on the Canberra Avenue side as it tends to be rather noisy (we were on the 4th floor). Air conditioner rattled continously throughout the night, which was a bit annoying. Bed was extremely hard, and good if you like a bed like this. However, they do offer a mattress topper on request. Shower pressure was good..though the way they design showers in hotels is bizarre as the water always seems to leak out onto the floor in the bathroom..due to the join of the glass/door...

Value for money: A standard room costs around $180 per night. For Canberra, this is around the price you pay. Would I stay at East Hotel again? Mmmm...probably, but would make sure I had a room that was quieter and a bed that was softer :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Dragons11,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at East Hotel.

For your future stays, we would be delighted to place a plush mattress topper on your bed and ensure you have a different view/aspect of Canberra. Please contact me directly so we may update your profile as we aim to customise our guests stays.

Prefer a flavour of Nespresso or a certain type of soft drink? Let us know these as well and we'll customise your return visits so much you'll think you're coming home when you arrive!

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 30, 2012

New but flawed in my view. The bed was very hard, the worst I have slept (a bit) on ever. There is no comfortable chair for reading or watching TV. I hate being forced to watch from the bed. I realise this is not uncommon but that doesn't make it better! I can't comment about the restaurant as I couldn't get in and had to eat at the pub next door. Breakfast was very limited for the price. I won't go back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Phillip4911,

Thank you for staying with us taking the time to write into TripAdvisor.

It sounds like you stayed in one of our entry level studios equipped with a kitchenette, Nespresso machine, dining table with 2 chairs, work desk with chair, a king sized bed and a spacious bathroom. The studio you stayed in did have an ottoman but we do have others with lounge chairs with matching ottoman.

It is unfortunate we didn't know you wanted something more to sit on. Should any member of the team have known, they would have been happy to let you know your options (or, importantly, as you state this is common, let us know before hand, we could have avoided this by allocating you to an appropriate room type for your travel needs).

We take pride in our brand new custom-made beds. We do recognise they are firm (as we're told this is best for sleeping posture) and have a card next to the bed offering to place mattress toppers (as well as softer or harder pillows) on the beds for our guests.

We are very fortunate to have such a popular restaurant at our establishment - Ox Eatery has been blessed with great owners, management, wait staff and incredible chefs. This results in a very busy venue for it's prime time which is dinner. The EAST team would have been more than happy to recommend an enormous variety of restaurants in either Manuka or Kingston (each about a 5 minute walk). I do hope you enjoyed the Kingston Hotel (pub) across the road - it's casual but quite a Canberra institution.

Ox does offer a continental breakfast (a changing variety but usually includes the basics: pastries, sliced meat and cheeses, breads, yoghurts, homemade bircher muesli and even boxed cereals if the rest is a bit fancy) for our hotel guests and at $15 including Nespresso coffee all of which is quite competitive.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope you enjoy your next stay in the nations capital.

Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

We've stayed at East twice now in the last month and it will be our hotel of choice in Canberra. Lots of great design means it doesn't feel sterile like many hotels in the same price bracket. We've eaten in the restaurant and bar and recommend both, a great place for a group dinner. If you can snag a room facing the City, the view from the upper levels is lovely. We'll be back!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kyliem F
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hello Kyliem F,

Thank you for making your thoughts and experiences public!

And even more thanks for continuing to stay with us!! If you travel to Canberra very frequently please contact us directly so we can discuss guaranteed, year-round rates and any special personal preferences we can cater to.

I know you've given us a rating of 5 out of 5 but we're not finished with you yet!

Cheers,

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel has a great new decor and design is terrific. It is either conventiently located between manuka and kingston, or inconvengiently located in the middle of neither, depending on your point of view. Also opposite the kingston hotel. Staff are wacky. Sorry. They really need training in hospitality and in how to make a margarita. Breakfast was nothing short of absurd. I was waiting for basil and manuel to pop up.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello Julze,

Thank you for your feedback. I do hope you enjoyed the accommodation and staff on the hotel side of things.

I will pass your comments on to the team over at Ox Eatery regarding the bar and breakfast issues you experienced.

I'm not sure what was "wacky" about the staff at Ox, but they might take that as a compliment! Both East Hotel and Ox Eatery enjoy staff with individuality. Feel free to contact me or the managers/owners of Ox to discuss more specifics as we're always looking to ensure the appropriate messages are conveyed to people who come to our businesses!

Thanks again. I look forward to hearing more feedback directly regarding the hotel if/once you've stayed with us.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here for one night in an East Studio room on a work trip in November 2012.

The hotel is within walking distance to Kingston/Manuka shops and restaurants, opposite the Kingston Hotel (‘Kingo’).

The staff at reception were very friendly and allowed me to pay in advance so I could leave without a fuss early the next morning (although reception is open 24 hours a day, they said).

The reception area had a lovely atmosphere, with comfy couches, jars of lollies, magazines/books and modern artwork including images projected onto a large screen.

The room was decorated very nicely and felt relatively spacious. The bed was comfortable and there was a large flat screen TV mounted on the wall with cable channels. There was also wi-fi included (limited downloads). The room was quiet and I slept well.

The bathroom with vanity and separate toilet/shower was nothing special but did have a nice little range of bath and shower products. It took me a while to work out how to drain the sink (there is no button; you push the plug itself).

I was in Canberra on a flying visit so didn’t get a chance to use the kitchenette or gym, or check out the bar downstairs, but they all looked good.

The hotel is quite new but importantly they don’t seem to be having any teething problems with staff. Some new hotels have great amenities but haven’t yet got their act together in terms of service – this doesn’t seem to be the case here.

It’s good to know that Canberra finally has a decent option for the business traveller who wants quality accommodation without paying a fortune. I will be staying here again and seeing how it holds up over a longer stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Lorexstevex,

Thank you for your thorough description of our hotel! The team are delighted to hear you enjoyed your very quick visit of our hotel.

When you do come back for a longer stay, I recommend staying in one of our apartments. They provide considerable more space, a full kitchen and laundry facilities within the room as well as separate living and sleeping areas and a balcony.

The studios are great for stays of 1-5 or so nights with their minibar fridge, dual burner cooktop, microwave, kitchen sink and full kitchen utensil provisions.

Please let us know next time you're coming, what your requirements and preferences are, and we'll be sure to take good care of you - this is what we strive to do - let YOU customize your stay!

Until next time . . .

Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Great location, great decor, comfortable bedding, lovely toiletries, friendly staff, convenient parking - albeit $10 per night-, nice little extra's...so it could have been perfect; however we were greeted by an impressively awful smell in our room - Milk - 4 days past it's Use-by-Date, fermenting in a fridge that was not working for our whole three night stay. Staff offered us ice buckets to keep things cool. Also, the lift makes an awful noise, so would be best to be located as far away as possible. We were woken on Friday morning (7.00am) by loud power-tool type noise above our room, fortunately we were planning an early morning start. There were some signs that maintenance was slipping - poorly patched holes in the wall opposite the lift on Floor 5, dirty walls inside the lift, but despite these concerns, overall the positives outweighed our concerns and we would stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Darcy45
Hello Darcy45,

Thank you very much for picking out the little things that matter.

We clearly should have picked up both the dis-functional fridge and the milk past the "use by" date and the team have been followed up with this issues (and fridge repaired).

We have also had the lift service technicians out to investigate the noise with the lifts. Turns out these may have been the same noisy gremlins causing the "power-tool type noise" but all work is done in the hotel so unless it was being done in the tenant space (which shouldn't be), we'll keep looking for the issue!

And I'd love to tell you what happened two weekends ago to the wall opposite level 5 resulting in some required repairs but I'll save someone the embarrassment. This has been patched appropriately as we believe in looking after our magnificent new building (as do our local owners!).

Thank you again for pointing out these niggling little issues that should have been right for you. These are the things that help us grow stronger and provide you a better stay next time. I'll aim to have you give us 5 out of 5!!!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!