“Fantastic Modern Hotel in a Perfect Location!”
Review of East Hotel

East Hotel
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My partner & I spent 1 night here for the Boyz II Men concert at the Convention Centre. We drove from Melbourne & was welcomed to a pristine, modern room with a very large & comfortable bed.

The location of the hotel was perfectly placed next to the chic suburb of Manuka filled with gorgeous clothing shops & endless cafe's, bars & restaurants. It was like a little Toorak Rd in Canberra.

The room itself was quite large, complete with a kitchenette and a nespresso coffee machine with complimentary pods.

Parking was also very cheap at only $10 a night with direct access to the hotel. Getting in & out of the underground parking area was a breeze as the hotel room keycard needed only to be swiped for entry / exit.

The hotel itself was perfect for our weekend getaway & we'll definitely have no hesitation in returning.

The only thing missing was a concierge who assisted with luggage which wasn't an issue as we were only staying 1 night & had minimal bags.

The staff at reception were very polite & helpful in providing local area assistance.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Hello there Jezabella84,

Your comments were an excellent boost for the hard-working team we have! Thank you for passing these on in a public forum.

Please note that our team are willing to assist in making anything reasonable, safe and legal happen for our guests. Just ask! But you've raised a good point - maybe I need a sign that informs our lovely travellers that my Guest Experience Team is here to make the whole experience what you want it to be.

Todd Handy

Write a ReviewReviews (1,913)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Met by great staff who provided a trouble free check in. The second floor room was modern, clean and well appointed. We had everything we needed for our 3 night stay. Kitchenette was fully equipped and the balcony was a great spot to enjoy the subtle sounds of the area. We utilised the gym on a couple of days which was nicely equipped. We took advantage of the nearby parks and lakes for daily walks and of course its close proximity to a number of Canberras attractions. Great hotel in a great location.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sian N,

Thank you for your comments!

We are delighted you had the time to take advantage of our location and go for some walks in the beautiful surrounds. Next time feel free to take our cruiser bicycles out to further satisfy your wanderlust!

We look forward to being your destination for many more stays as a couple, or family or groups of friends . . . let us know and we'll make it happen!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the East Hotel for an overnight business trip to Canberra. We found the hotel surprisingly modern and well located. Its conveniently situated in Manuka, close to many of the city's better restaurants and shops.
The overall experience was a good one. The rooms are sizeable and well fitted out with coffee machine, microwave and small fridge and opening windows. My only gripe was that I discovered the following morning that after sleeping (or trying to) in a very firm bed, the hotel offers toppers. On my future visits, and I will return, Ill know to request one on arrival.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello lisa_keddie,

We're glad that you enjoyed the stay and location - except for the firm disposition of our custom-made mattresses.

We have taken your (and others) comments and acted - you will now find a message on the beside stand offering mattress toppers and pillows (both softer and harder) to make your stay that much better!

We look forward to pampering you soon!

Cheers,

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at East Hotel recently for a few weeks on a work trip and it easily became my home away from home.

The first thing I felt when entering East Hotel was warm and fuzzy. The fireplace in the lobby was crackling away and guests were comfortably lounging in the sitting area reading the magazines/newspapers on offer. Check-in was smooth and friendly and the front desk attendant was more than happy to share with me some information about the hotel. Two very cool fixie bikes are placed near the entrance of the hotel which guests can use free of charge when they feel like a leisurely bike ride around the nearby parks and Lake Burley Griffin.

My room wasn’t so much of a room but more an oversized apartment. I could still smell the freshness of the room and its furnishings (hotel only opened mid-2012). I had a one bedroom East Apartment which was generous in size and had an excellent floor layout, the bedroom connected to the bathroom which connected to the fully equipped kitchen.

Key features included the Nespresso machine in my kitchen was the perfect feature for a room of this quality and style. The hotel also uses an environmentally friendly brand of bath/shower products called ‘Sprout Out’ which is a pleasing change from the normal in house cheap stuff that even five-star hotels continue to stock.

During my time in Canberra I had a few friends come to visit and I was comfortably able to host and entertain in the apartment. The large lounge area with bright, cheerful art deco features made for a perfect spot to host drinks and nibbles.

I was surprised at how close the hotel is to both the Kingston and Manuka villages – both only a 5 minute walk from the property. Other notable features of the property includes the fully-equipped gymnasium and the restaurant OX (which I noticed was pretty much burgeoning with locals and guests alike, practically every night of the week).

Definitely worth checking out, and I hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Rooms facing west have the perfect amount of afternoon sun and the blinds sufficiently block out any...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jason N

Hello Jason!

Thank you for the very descriptive account of your visit to EAST! The team and I are loving your commentary!

We do hope you are able to stay with us again very soon and look forward to filling your Nespresso pod supply with your preferred flavour which we've noted and placed on your profile for your next visit.

Until our next opportunity to have you as our guest . . .

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here recently for business. The Hotel is in great location. Rooms are very nice - bed very comfortable - room well equipped. Down side is that the breakfast very expensive for what is on offer - also found the service at breakfast time was very poor. Ordered coffee, after asking for it another couple of times I gave up and left. Would I stay there again - don't think so, you can get better accommodation and service elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello sinkelly,

Thank you for your candid comments about your visit.

I do need to make some important comments here: I have ensured the managers/owners of Ox Eatery have read your comments. (They are a separate business but we obviously are all interested in providing an excellent experience for visitors to our precinct.) You will be happy to know that since your stay the price of the breakfast has been lowered and now includes self-service Nespresso coffee. Ox finds themself with such a busy morning coffee trade and most of the guests wanting a good, quality coffee in a quick manner that this was a solution that is already receiving high praise.

Thank you again for your feedback. I would value any feedback you have on East Hotel and would love to have you back anytime. I believe when you return you'll find the breakfast a much better value proposition as well.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Great location and pleasant staff. Room equipped with everything we needed. Very nice and would come back again. Nespresso coffee machine is a very nice touch! Very well laid out room and cosy. Everything is brand new!!!

• Stayed: November 2012

So Thurbons, now that you're hooked, how often can we expect you back?!

Seriously though, thank you for the comments - please always feel free to contact me if you suffer any decline in the experience you've had on this stay.

Cheers,

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment on the 5th floor facing towards Parliment House. Being brand new, everything was clean and fresh. Very roomy apartment and the 2 TV's (1 in bedroom and 1 in lounge) were great. The double glazing on all the windows made for a very quiet night-in fact I would say best hotel I have stayed in re noise (or lack thereof). The bathroom was a real winner for me, really spacious and all the glass gives it a real "fresh" feel, and the access from both the entry and the bedroom made the whole place feel bigger again. The kitchen and laundry facilities are excellent and well placed. Our king bed was made up of 2 king singles, but was so comfortable (although I suspect some people might think they are a bit hard). Loved the sliding pannel door that separated the bedroom from the living area - a real contemporary touch. We had no issues at all and just generally loved the place and would definately stay again. Although you are not in the city centre, honestly, it is a 5 minute drive and the bus stop is right outside the door! All the major sights/attractions are either within walking distance (3 or 4km) or a very short drive - Canberra is quite compact. We ate in both Kingston and Manuka (both a very short walk) and the only disappointment was that we ran out of time and couldn't try more places. If you prefer to self cater, there is a coles supermarket in Kingston and an IGA in Manuka, as well as hot bread shops and such. All the hotel staff we had any dealings with were friendly, courteous and just super nice and super helpful. Big THANK YOU to the gorgeous young lady who check us in and out - she was superb.
Just note, though, that the entrance is actually on Giles Street.

Room Tip: Definately try and get a room as high up as you can.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Travellingbugg,

Wow! The whole team is buzzing with your comments!!!

The only piece of advice I have to offer on your one disappointment of your visit (of running out of time), is to stay longer! We are happy to be your home in Canberra!

Good point about our entrance being on Giles Street (for pedestrians) and our underground carpark entrance is on Oxley Street. Feel free to park downstairs and come up the lifts to check in.

Thank you again!