“Modern and trendy East Hotel - a welcomed new addition to Canberra”
Review of East Hotel

East Hotel
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Canberra, Australia
“Modern and trendy East Hotel - a welcomed new addition to Canberra”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at East Hotel recently for a few weeks on a work trip and it easily became my home away from home.

The first thing I felt when entering East Hotel was warm and fuzzy. The fireplace in the lobby was crackling away and guests were comfortably lounging in the sitting area reading the magazines/newspapers on offer. Check-in was smooth and friendly and the front desk attendant was more than happy to share with me some information about the hotel. Two very cool fixie bikes are placed near the entrance of the hotel which guests can use free of charge when they feel like a leisurely bike ride around the nearby parks and Lake Burley Griffin.

My room wasn’t so much of a room but more an oversized apartment. I could still smell the freshness of the room and its furnishings (hotel only opened mid-2012). I had a one bedroom East Apartment which was generous in size and had an excellent floor layout, the bedroom connected to the bathroom which connected to the fully equipped kitchen.

Key features included the Nespresso machine in my kitchen was the perfect feature for a room of this quality and style. The hotel also uses an environmentally friendly brand of bath/shower products called ‘Sprout Out’ which is a pleasing change from the normal in house cheap stuff that even five-star hotels continue to stock.

During my time in Canberra I had a few friends come to visit and I was comfortably able to host and entertain in the apartment. The large lounge area with bright, cheerful art deco features made for a perfect spot to host drinks and nibbles.

I was surprised at how close the hotel is to both the Kingston and Manuka villages – both only a 5 minute walk from the property. Other notable features of the property includes the fully-equipped gymnasium and the restaurant OX (which I noticed was pretty much burgeoning with locals and guests alike, practically every night of the week).

Definitely worth checking out, and I hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Rooms facing west have the perfect amount of afternoon sun and the blinds sufficiently block out any...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jason N
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello Jason!

Thank you for the very descriptive account of your visit to EAST! The team and I are loving your commentary!

We do hope you are able to stay with us again very soon and look forward to filling your Nespresso pod supply with your preferred flavour which we've noted and placed on your profile for your next visit.

Until our next opportunity to have you as our guest . . .

Todd Handy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Indonesian first
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here recently for business. The Hotel is in great location. Rooms are very nice - bed very comfortable - room well equipped. Down side is that the breakfast very expensive for what is on offer - also found the service at breakfast time was very poor. Ordered coffee, after asking for it another couple of times I gave up and left. Would I stay there again - don't think so, you can get better accommodation and service elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello sinkelly,

Thank you for your candid comments about your visit.

I do need to make some important comments here: I have ensured the managers/owners of Ox Eatery have read your comments. (They are a separate business but we obviously are all interested in providing an excellent experience for visitors to our precinct.) You will be happy to know that since your stay the price of the breakfast has been lowered and now includes self-service Nespresso coffee. Ox finds themself with such a busy morning coffee trade and most of the guests wanting a good, quality coffee in a quick manner that this was a solution that is already receiving high praise.

Thank you again for your feedback. I would value any feedback you have on East Hotel and would love to have you back anytime. I believe when you return you'll find the breakfast a much better value proposition as well.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Great location and pleasant staff. Room equipped with everything we needed. Very nice and would come back again. Nespresso coffee machine is a very nice touch! Very well laid out room and cosy. Everything is brand new!!!

• Stayed November 2012
So Thurbons, now that you're hooked, how often can we expect you back?!

Seriously though, thank you for the comments - please always feel free to contact me if you suffer any decline in the experience you've had on this stay.

Cheers,

Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment on the 5th floor facing towards Parliment House. Being brand new, everything was clean and fresh. Very roomy apartment and the 2 TV's (1 in bedroom and 1 in lounge) were great. The double glazing on all the windows made for a very quiet night-in fact I would say best hotel I have stayed in re noise (or lack thereof). The bathroom was a real winner for me, really spacious and all the glass gives it a real "fresh" feel, and the access from both the entry and the bedroom made the whole place feel bigger again. The kitchen and laundry facilities are excellent and well placed. Our king bed was made up of 2 king singles, but was so comfortable (although I suspect some people might think they are a bit hard). Loved the sliding pannel door that separated the bedroom from the living area - a real contemporary touch. We had no issues at all and just generally loved the place and would definately stay again. Although you are not in the city centre, honestly, it is a 5 minute drive and the bus stop is right outside the door! All the major sights/attractions are either within walking distance (3 or 4km) or a very short drive - Canberra is quite compact. We ate in both Kingston and Manuka (both a very short walk) and the only disappointment was that we ran out of time and couldn't try more places. If you prefer to self cater, there is a coles supermarket in Kingston and an IGA in Manuka, as well as hot bread shops and such. All the hotel staff we had any dealings with were friendly, courteous and just super nice and super helpful. Big THANK YOU to the gorgeous young lady who check us in and out - she was superb.
Just note, though, that the entrance is actually on Giles Street.

Room Tip: Definately try and get a room as high up as you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Travellingbugg,

Wow! The whole team is buzzing with your comments!!!

The only piece of advice I have to offer on your one disappointment of your visit (of running out of time), is to stay longer! We are happy to be your home in Canberra!

Good point about our entrance being on Giles Street (for pedestrians) and our underground carpark entrance is on Oxley Street. Feel free to park downstairs and come up the lifts to check in.

Thank you again!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The East hotel is still new enough to have new mattress and new carpet smells in the rooms!
Beds are enormous and the room space generous. Having a little kitchen space (microwave, cook top) can make a difference to how much you spend on food. (Whilst we ate out, we used the microwave to warm up wheat packs after hiking round the city!)
Staff gave the best service I have had in a hotel for a long time, possibly ever. Seriously. Attentive and friendly.
Bar was great for dessert and drinks and the restaurant (The Ox) was packed every night (and we were there mid week) and looked scrumptious.
I would not stay anywhere else in Canberra from now on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Eryca-on-hols,

SO glad you had such an excellent experience with us! The entire team loves knowing they've made the desired impression!

However, I need you to do me a favour please: for a quality, intentionally designed 4.5 star hotel, I would like to know how we can earn your rating of 5 out of 5 please!

Please contact me directly - we can chat!

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The newly opened East Hotel is close to the good restaurants in the Manuka/Kingston area of Canberra. On a major road, Canberra Ave, but stayed on the other side of the hotel which was quiet. A ways from Canberra CBD, but close to Parliament, National Gallery etc. Spacious rooms that are well furnished, but some of the furnishings may not be too robust. Separate shower and toilet areas in the bathroom and very nice amenities. A small kitchen with microwave and hot plates and small fridge with a Nespresso coffee machine being a nice touch. Strange to see no dishwasher though. The bed was extremely comfortable and firm in nature. Underground parking is $10/night which is a little unusual for Canberra and the 2 lower levels are dedicated to hotel guests. The 2 above are a public carpark. The staff on the front desk were very helpful. Lots of in room lighting and the air conditioning worked as it should. A large desk to work at and a good quality LG flat screen TV on the wall. The corridors though were quite dark.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms numbered 04-11 as they face the next door apartment building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Syd675,

Thank you for the positive review!

We do have extensive parking on 4 levels underground. We have to allocate a certain number to "public" spaces as per ACT planning and development regulations. The guest park on levels 3 and 4 for greater security. While it may seem like a bit of a drive down, it's a short elevator ride up to the comfort of your room.

And I probably shouldn't let out the secret but some of the room numbers you suggest avoiding catch glimpses of Manuka Oval . . . shhh!

We look forward to seeing you into the future.

Sydney
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at East 4 times now over the last couple of months for business, and I have been really impressed by the location, staff, rooms and the restaraunt. I've stayed in 3 different types of rooms and all have exceeded expectations. Nespresso machines in each room is a nice touch. The bathroom and particularly the showers are awesome. The hotel staff go out of their way to assist, and seem genuinely interested in your feedback. OX the restaraunt attached is a dream come true for a bloke like me...5 level spit roast, slowly bbq'ing a variety of lamb, pork, beef, poultry etc, right in the middle of the bar, on display to drive you insane, and wet your appetite. The bar has the largest gin and single malt selection I have ever come across in Australia. All in all, a great place to stay for business or pleasure, and really well priced to boot.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt F
Hello Matt F,

We've noticed you do!

If there is every anything we can do to personalize your stay or make it seem more like home, please let me know.

I'd like to ensure you "keep coming back" . . . And bring your friends too! Let's talk negotiated year-round rates!!!