“Best Turkish in Canberra. Food and service comes from the heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Turkish Grill

Turkish Grill
Ranked #216 of 1,348 Restaurants in Canberra
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Best Turkish in Canberra. Food and service comes from the heart”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I am a big Turkish cuisine fan, so living in Canberra, I believe I have been to all the Turkish Restaurants in Canberra, and this is by far the best, and the most busy!
The business comes from its dine in customers as well as take away, so on a Friday or Saturday night, it is always best to book.
My family had the standard banquet for 4 (as there are four of us), and we all agreed that the banquet could feed almost 6!

The lamb skewers are a personal favourite of mine, as I always get it take away, and they always manage to cook it perfectly.

The service was great too, the staff were friendly and attentive.
When I recently came in, the staff kindly gave my brother complimentary Turkish baklava with "Happy birthday!" written on the plate as they knew it was a special occasion.

This restaurant has true cultural elements to its restaurant presentation and cuisine. My favourite restaurant in Canberra!

• Visited July 2013

Canberra, Australia
“Best Turkish In Canberra”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Turkish Grill is by far the best Turkish Place Ive ever eaten at in Canberra. THe place is constanly busy so it seems best to book, even if its just 2 of you on a Monday night. They offer dining in, take away and even home delivery, which is great on a friday night when you want to stay home and watch some movies and not drive anywhere.

But when you do choose to go out, you will love Turkish Grill. The atmosphere is busy, the decor is just so different with an amazing big red turkish flag painted on one wall and the staff are always so friendly and helpful. I notice on those busy weekend nights, friday and saturday, the place is packed, oftne doing 2 sittings and the staff are just running like crazy. Its probably not the kind of place for a romantic dinner, but the best to go with friends and have a laugh and a drink.

They have a great new wine list (since last time we went) in new fancy menu covers, they look classy and offer a great selection of wines. When we go with friends we always choose the banquet as it offers to much food for us to share and has mostly a selection of everything. And we get dips and breads at the start. Just a warning tho, take it easy on these or you will not fit anythign else in.

The chicken and lamb is SO tender and when we have had just a meal on its own, the steak is to die for. The value for money is the best, compared to other turkish restaurants, not only do you get so much food but you can tell they get the best quality meats as its so tender and tasty. No other turkish places Ive eaten at offer anywhere near as close to this value.

The food is not the same as Turkey, but we ended up chatting to the chef and he said that the traditional Turkish food would not sell well here as most people have been introduced to the westernised version of Turkish food and would find the traditional food very much like village food.

I would recommend this place to anyone and we have become regular customers, dining or takingn food away most weeks. I am hoping to have my next birthday party there with loads of family and friends and introduce them all to the best Turkish in Canberra. Although maybe I shouldnt so I can always get a seat!!

• Visited March 2013
“Good Food”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We made a booking for our dinner, which was just as well as the restaurant was booked out and had second sittings. The food was tasty - I had chicken and it was very tasty. My husband had lamb and he said that, while it was tasty, it was a bit tough, although it looked very appetising. We wanted a bottle of sparkling wine with our meal and we chose one from the wine list. However they didn't have ANY 750ml bottles of sparkling wine. We had to settle for 2 x 200ml bottles of sparkling wine - not a good thing when dining out. The service was fine until we asked for our account. We then waited and waited. Eventually it was brought to us when we were on the point of going to the desk and paying there. After all of that though, I would go back to the restaurant again. The restaurant also does takeaway. A clarification for people who have travelled to Turkey - the food at the restaurant is not the same sort of food that is eaten in Turkey. As in most ethnic restaurants, the food is not the same as in the originating country, it is a Westernised version of it and it is usually superb.

• Visited March 2013
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I do agree this is one of the best Turkish restaurants in Canberra. It's hidden in the shopping village of Erindale.

The deco looks quite modern and trendy thus this restaurant can be used for special occasions. The service is good and the standard banquet is just a delight. It has got so much food that 4 of us couldn't finish 3 banquet. The breads, the tips and grills were just superb. Zucchini balls are to die for. It's inexpensive and value for money for the amount and the quality of food.

I highly recommend this restaurant

• Visited February 2013
Canberra
“Delicious Food but Poor Service”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I booked a table for 4 outside on a Friday night because they were full inside. I asked whether the table would be adjacent to the car park and was told they had a separate dining area outside, however, the dining area was indeed right next to the car park. Luckily we only had to wait for 10 minutes and a table was free inside, so we escaped the exhaust fumes.

We had the potato balls and zucchini fritters for entrées and they were great. For mains we had the spicy meatballs with rice, prawns in spicy sauce and pide. The meals (apart from the pide) came with vegetables and mash. All the food was delicious and the serving sizes were generous. That said, the prices were slightly on the expensive side, apart from the pide that was gigantic and relatively cheap.

The big let down was the service. We were not offered water, the waiters did not check on us during the meal to see if we wanted more drinks. The ambience was OK but nothing special.

All in all delicious food but poor service. Nevertheless, I’d certainly go again because the food was great.

• Visited February 2013