“Great night”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Great food and service, would highly recommend, one of the best restaurants in canberra, the food was perfectly balanced and the sharing dessert was to die for, loved the pannacotta

1  Thank superfurrychris

Reviewed February 9, 2014

A work trip took me recently to Canberra for a Friday night.
What better place to spend dinner than at The Artisan, one of the dining delights of Canberra tucked away in a suburban strip of shops in a quiet suburb where silence envelopes the darkening night.
The food belied the environment and the buzz from the bar and restaurant told of happy customers.
My choices were simple - rabbit terrine with sharp tangy piccililli and tatsoi with pickled carrot was refreshingly delicious followed by the blue eye trevalla with cauliflower skordalia, spiced almonds and fried whitebait was a wonderfil combination of flavours.
As I had eaten little during the day, the banana tart tatin was a wickedly decadent way to round off the night and guarantee a gym session before breakfast.
The service was attentive, I secured a table near the bar and just enjoyed food and chilled white wine watching the comings and goings of the evening.
A great spot.

2  Thank Robert W
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We have been to Artisan a few times since it opened and have never been disappointed with the food. This visit was no exception, though one of our party felt his beef was a little more cooked than medium rare. The rest of us loved our quail and duck. They always do interesting desserts, and the current Swiss Meringue with Blackberry Icecream (which they did with a sorbet for our dairy free diner) was beautiful. Small but tasty to eat and beautiful to look at. There is a good wine list including many options by the glass that are still under $10 per glass. The main problem with the restaurant is the noise. Even on a quiet day there is a lot of noise from the kitchen and the hard flooring. It's a shame as it's what stops us going more frequently. Still, well worth going. It's a restaurant that's clearly proud of what it's doing.

1  Thank Sue T
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I wish I could rate this higher. If it was just rated on the food maybe, but a few letdowns make it 3 1/2 to 4.

Positives, great great food. Good range of dishes. Funnily enough my wife's starter, and my main, were the highlight of the meals. Why "funnily enough"? Well they were the two vegetarian dishes we ordered.

My main, which was, to be crude, mushrooms on toast with cheese and egg, was mind-blowing. A dish which built and built on subtle complexity throughout. I could have eaten another one straight away.

The recommended wines were apt, and for me, something that is sadly lacking in every other Canberra fine dining venue, they had a superb choice (some 15 varieties of unusual single malts,) of interesting Scotch for me to wrap my meal up with.

So why only 3 1/2?

Some slight sloppiness in the serving, my mother in laws coffee got split, (though the server did everything possible to make amends, obviously aghast.) Our deserts were served without cutlery, we had to ask for some. The cheese selection was uninspired.

But it's the layout, and the acoustics of the place which were the big let down. It had the acoustics of a Victorian tiled lavatory, really harsh and loud. When I go out for a meal I do not want to have to shout to be heard. They desperately need some acoustic tiling, not huge mirrors and bare walls.

Also the place is one long corridor, with a huge bar which musty lose them 12 covers when full. The worse part of this layout was that every smoker, (vile beasts, ) had to pass us on their way in and out. When they returned they carried the stink of their habit with them.

So a mixed bag, they have the most important things, the food and wine, right. If only they could sharpen up the extra things which make fine dining such a pleasure usually.

4  Thank fatbeetle
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Had the pleasure of trying this Restaurant for the first time on Tuesday for lunch. The service was attentive, and the meals superb!. I had the duck main course and it was up there with the best duck dish I have ever eaten. For dessert..Panna Cotta, although a friend had the Wagon Wheel and it looked devine. I highly recommend this place, and we will be back!!

2  Thank dajolani