“Shabby and small at Waldorf” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canberra Waldorf Apartments Hotel

and 1 more site!
Canberra Waldorf Apartments Hotel
Kiama
“Shabby and small at Waldorf”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

I booked online to stay for the first night of our two week honeymoon to Tasmania. We stayed in Room 230 which was an unusually set up attachment to the side of the main Hotel. You had to exit the main building, walk along a terraced/latticed walkway past other rooms before finally coming to 230 at the end of the path near the outdoor smoking/bbq area. When entering, you had to be extremely careful not to fall down the step immediately inside the door. The 'apartment' was so compact when sitting on the toilet your knees were touching the cupboard door into the laundry facility. The room smelt stale and felt moderately dirty. We were going to the Cat Stevens Peace Train show across the road at the Playhouse Theatre, so proximity to the venue was good.
At 4.30am the fire alarm and automated voice "You must evacuate the building" sounded. We contacted the reception who informed us that it was unlikely to be a fire but it was his responsibility to inform us to exit via the fire escape and walk to the front assembly area. The Fire Brigade turned up, checked it out and an hour later we went back to bed. Management at the Hotel did not inform us to re-enter the building, a couple of the firies at the front let us know there was no fire. At 6.15am the alarm clock went off! Again at 6.30 the snooze alarm activated. In the morning on checking out, I had to pay an additional $15 for parking, the cost of the room was $175 and no compensation was mentioned regarding the disrupted night.
I would not recommend the Waldord and have previously stayed at Crown Plaza which I would highly recommmend. I would give the Waldorf a 1/10 and altogether it was a very poor experience. Cat Stevens Peace Train I scored 10/10, go and see it if you can.

• Liked — Nothing. I suppose its proximity to the theatre was ok.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kiamagreen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2008

Not what we expected.....room smelt like Indian food (although we love Indian food - just wasn't pleasant in this case) - room was rundown - tv was broken, overall we were fortunate to get out and check in with the Crowne Plaza.which was 1000% better. If you can pay the extra 30 bucks to go Crowne - then it's totally worth it.

• Liked — Location to shops - other than that nothing
  • Disliked — it's a craphole and parking was a rip-off
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrztraveller

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2007

This week I travelled to Canberra for work, where I stayed at the Waldorf for one night. Usually I will stay slightly out of city (usually on Northbourne ave) as it is close enough and a bit less expensive. However, Canberra (as usual) was suffering a lack of accommodation and the only room available anywhere close to Civic was the Waldorf.

I paid $170 for the night which included a continental breakfast down at the restaurant on street level. I had been told this made up about $15.50 of the price - and when I asked if I could take this off my bill I was told it was a package and could not be removed from the price.

I stayed in room 230 - on the second floor. This floor is a little strange, you walk outside on what looks like it used to be a deck round to your room. Rooms have been constructed around the edge of the floor, with trellis fences around the front courtyard to each room. 230 was right at the end of the deck, next to the bbq area.

Upon entering the room I nearly tripped down a step inside the doorway - there were no signs to alert me to the foyer step and the lights took a moment to flicker on.

After entering the room, the first thing I noticed was the traffic noise from outside. The room was located on the London Circuit side of the building and the noise came through from the bathroom (not sure if the walls are less dense in there??) Needless to say the noise kept me awake for a lot of the night.

Room 230 is a one-bedroom apartment, quite neat but very compact. I understand that I probably got the last (and worst) room in the hotel as I booked late - however there were a number of issues that would have lead me to ask management for another room had the hotel not been booked solid.

There were dirty hand prints all over several walls, like mechanics had been pressing their hands against the walls.

The curtain in the living room area did not cover the window, so that at anytime someone walking past could see directly into the room.

I found several hairs in the bed. (yick!)

The bathroom was extremely compact - between the toilet and cupoboard directly in front there was about 60cm room.

I squeezed the ironing board out of the bathroom cupboard and attempted to iron my shirt for the next day. The iron stuck to my shirt and burnt it. Thankfully I was ironing the inside. I gave up and hung the shirt up overnight instead.

The blinds in the bathroom did not close properly

The towels were frayed and looked old and tired

I'm not usually too picky about where I stay for work - but I was pretty disappointed with the standard at the Waldorf. I had thought it would be a bit nicer than this. Considering most travellers staying there would be there for work - the basics like a functional (non-burning) iron should be looked after, as well as a bit more comprehensive cleaning like removing dirty handprints from walls.

• Liked — Location - close to work
  • Disliked — problems described in review.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank marbelMelbourne
Baltimore, MD, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2007

Let me first warn you that I may not be of a neutral mind. The trip from Baltimore to Australia involved 3 flights, ALL THREE OF WHICH were canceled on me, so just getting here was a nightmare, and has put me in a bad mood, so I may be allowing my bad mood to predispose me negatively to the hotel.

There is one good point here: The staff have been uniformly professional and courteous. No problems with respect to that. Unfortunately, that's the only good point.

The room is fair; some things are slipshod. For example, closet doors are coming off, cleanliness was only fair, the bed coverings are clearly a little too well-used and damaged, etc. The internet service is dodgy, but there are other networks around that can be wirelessly accessed ;). Half the dishes have been stolen, the hot water kettle was missing, etc.etc., quite slipshod in these kinds of details.

My big beef though, the whole hotel lost hot water this morning. I am told this is because the circuit breakers tripped overnight, which apparently, happens A LOT here, like, a couple times a week. I mean REALLY, you have a hundred guests, you can call an electrician to fix that permanently instead of inconveniencing guests weekly.

The price is reasonable, and the location is truly outstanding, so those are major points, but little things like having dishes, hot water, internet, really disappointing here.

I probably won't stay here again. I am quite sure for an extra $20-$30 per night, I can do much better than this place next time. After such a long trip, I just cannot stomach this kind of constant nagging inconvenience.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Slipshod details
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank DrKK
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2006

I have stayed in a one bedroom apartment here twice. Once last year and once recently. The first time the one bedroom apartment looked like the floor plan on the apartment hotel's website - a decent sized living room with sofa and about 4 metres square or larger. It had a table that would seat 4 and make a decent work desk. I was pleased with the accommodation, location and price so I booked again. This one was awful. It had a living area that was about 8 feet by 8 feet square max to one side of the entry step that held 2 armchairs close together and about 4 feet from a cabinet with TV on it - no room for a side table or coffee table and no side table or coffee table. In front of the step there was a small space before the open plan kitchen with a small round table and 2 chairs squeezed in. Just enough room for a plate each for 2. There is no way this could accommodate 4 and it would have been awful for 2.

On top of that, the 2nd floor room looked out onto an open area at 1st floor level that has a nightclub or disco called "Toast". The music blasted (and thumped) until about 3 am and the area outside and below my window was full of drunken patrons whooping and shrieking and shouting. The windows are not sound proofed and I stayed up as long as I could and went to bed at 2 am but it continued long after that and I hardly got any sleep (check out is at 10am even though you cannot book in until 2pm!). The breakfast is fine and the bedroom was fine other than the terrible noise but I will only stay here again if I can have a proper sized living area and my room does not look over this nightclub area.

• Liked — location in centre of city
  • Disliked — There was a disco below my window with an outside area with loud noise until early morning, the living room of the one bed apartment was a little alcove with no amenities at all except a TV a few feet from your nose
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure the one bedroom apartment is not overlooking "Toast" nightclub and has a proper sized living room
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Faux
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2006

We have to visit Canberra few times a year and it is the first time we stayed at the Waldorf.
What a suprise- spacious studio apartment ( not just an hotel room) with all the facilities (kitchen,laundry, Free Pay TV, Fax, high spedd internet!!!) for a bragain price of A$130 which include full breakfast.
The service is polite & speedy and the facilties are great ( tennis court,pool, bar & BBQ area)
Will stay there again.

• Stayed February 2006
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

We stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment for 5 nights in August and it was very pleasant. Close to the city centre with large shopping mall and plenty of restaurants, cinemas and fast-food places. Two adults and two teenagers fitted comfortably in the two bedrooms (one with a queen sized bed and television the other with two single beds). There is an indoor heated pool for lap swimming on the top floor and a small outdoor pool that was closed as it was winter. There is some parking in the basement for free and a bar and restaurant immediately downstairs. Fully equipped kitchen and loungeroom with TV and satellite channels. The single bathroom and toilet with two-way access was a bit inadequate for four people in the apartment, but otherwise a convenient place to stay at $230 per night.

• Stayed August 2005