“Excellent place to stay”
Review of Canberra City YHA

Canberra City YHA
Roma, Italia
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Clean, plenty of room in dorms and in the kitchen, quiet. A suggestion: power points should be better placed in the room, i.e. one next to each bed, not just 4 (in a 8 bed dorm) next to the window. The staff was very helpful, and there were a lot of activities for the guests, like bbq, movie nights and bike rental. Even if bathrooms were quite small, they weren't crowded or busy and most important they were always very clean. A good place for families too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

This seemed to be the only budget hostel option for my overnight stop in Canberra. I stayed in a 10 bed mixed dorm as this was the only option available at the time of booking. I prefer rooms with as few people as possible, but this wasn't bad at all.

The hostel is an easy 5-10min walk from the bus station (I walked it on my own at 11pm and felt very safe), a shorter walk to Target and a local shopping mall and a fairly lengthy walk to anywhere else, including the main tourist sights. Canberra isn't a particularly pedestrian friendly city, so take a map if you wander off or even better try to figure out the local bus system. I didn't do the latter, but my feet wished I would have done by the evening!

The hostel itself was clean and tidy. The room had an attached balcony/terrace, but I didn't see anyone use it apart from drying clothes. Reception advised the nicest bathrooms were on a different floor to mine, can't remember which though! so I used those and were nice. I liked the little communal area with sofas on each floor too, they were good for hanging out if you wanted to get out of your room.

Overall, not the best hostel you will stay in, but adequate for a short stay in the city.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
YHA_Backpacker, Front Office Manager at Canberra City YHA, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hi Jackie
Thanks for your review of Canberra YHA . Yes, the city can be a little daunting for pedestrians to get around, and to try and work out the public transport system. We do hire bikes though at the hostel (half or full day) and they are a great way to get to all the main city attractions which are within cycling distance. Canberra has lovely bike tracks around the lake which makes this a good alternative to walking.
We hope to see you again at another YHA in Australia.
Hamburg
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We had a large but simple double room that did the job. You cannot get ensuites but have to use the shared bathrooms, which were quite new and good enough. The swimming pool in the cellar is a bit of a joke because it is so small that you can't really swim at all. The common kitchen is quite well equipped but there are always puddles on the floor because the water leaks down from the surfaces.
Handy hint: There is a public library with free internet access two streets down from the hostel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Canberra City YHA, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hi Donegal
Thanks for your review of Canberra YHA. The manager sees all reviews and will look into that water leakage in the kitchen - thanks.
Just to let you know - the hostel does have a few ensuite rooms, but they are very popular so they book out fast. We also have the non-ensuite double/twins where you stayed as an alternative.
We hope to see you again at another YHA in Australia.
Leixlip, Ireland
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I booked a bed in a 8 bed dorm the same day I checked in.
Great place and friendly staff that seems to be backpackers as well.
Room was a bit messy, as there was a few in there that looked like they stayed there for a while.
This is one of the better hostels I’ve been in and I would definitely go there again. If I find a YHA in a another city, I`ll go there. I give 4/5 cause the price was a bit stiff. $35 a night unless you are a YHA member.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Backpacking_Eskimo
Melbourne
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've never done the hostel thing before, so I was wary to begin with.

The Canberra YHA was clean, convenient and was great for the group I was travelling with. It was more cost efficient to stay in the YHA than in a local hotel, so we braved it for one night.

Bathrooms were adequate, although the hot water had a mind of its own... but then again we shouldn't be having long showers anyway! There were power points in the bathroom so I could use my hair dryer without waking my roomies.

I stayed in a share room of 4 people who I knew, which made the experience nicer. The bed wasn't too bad; you just had to make it yourself.

I'd only recommend this for short stays. I did also notice a few families who were staying there also, along with an older couple - so it appeals to all age groups by the looks of it.

There is a bar downstairs under the YHA, and you could hear the music from above (along with the people talking on the street) but noting a pair of ear plugs couldn't fix.

We had breakfast included the next day. Just cereal, toast and (crap) coffee. But you know what; it was included in the price so I can't complain too much.

Would I stay there again? Only if I was travelling with a large group of people and we wanted to save money. If I went to Canberra with my partner, I'd pay the extra to stay in a hotel. What can I say, I like a little luxury!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the bathrooms were more convenient.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed in this place when it was being built by the waldof in 2001 - then it was really flash. Now it's dirty dirty dirty - but that's what you get when you have backpackers doing cleaning for their accommodation. But at $40 a night for a dorm bed you'd expect a lot more but this is pretty typical of Australian YHAs - poor standards and high prices. I best to avoid this one

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank TGMitchell
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Canberra City YHA, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
HI

Thanks for your review of Canberra City YHA. We take all reviews very seriously and are sorry that you did not have a good stay at the hostel. The Manager has seen your review and it will help us with our continual process of reviewing and improving how the property is managed.
We did just want to clarify though that YHA does not use backpackers to clean our hostels - we either use professional cleaning services or have staff housekeeping on site. YHA prides itself on having the highest quality network of hostels in Australia.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2012

stayed here for the october long weekend. Very close to the casino and all the night clubs which is pricelesss for location. Beds were clean and very comfortable. We were in a 4 share dorm and it was good. there is an awesome bar downstaris...very NYC style,.

Cons: staff serving breakfast - had a long wait after we ordered. No cold water. No ICE around. Hungover and waiting for cold water...drinks machine was out of order. Not really any convenience stores around to buy stuff...5-10 walk to the shopping centre.

They say there is a pool but THERE ISNT. no pool. we dressed in our boardies and got our towels out and we looked like idiots walking around as there was no pool.

other than that, good for a bed to crash on. fOXTEL on tv upstsairs. would stay again. $40 p.p per night.

lastly...CLEAN THE TOILETS PLEASE!! toilet paper, stains etc on bowls....

Room Tip: all rooms are great. No pool as advertised
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends