“JUST AWFUL!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne, Australia
“JUST AWFUL!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights early in December. Was the worst night sleep I've ever had due to construction next door (which the hotel didn't inform me about AT ALL). Was offered no compensation or even apology for this.

Rooms are rundown and needing a revamp. One girl on the desk was lovely but other staff members were abrasive and rude.

Only redeeming quality is the haig restaurant which was beautiful!

Stay elsewhere is my advice!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Ria W
ceahotel, General Manager at Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Ria W,

My staff informed you that we do not have late check-out, after you were informed that we do not have late check-out, you decided to throw a tantrum in our Hotel Reception (only 2 year old children do this) the hotel guests who witnessed the tantrum, said to us later who was the crazy woman, and we replied, yes she was a bit upset.

The building going on next door does not make any noise, as they are pouring concrete, they don't start until 8.00am and you could not hear the noise even if you tried (all the windows on that side of the hotel are double glazed) so you are talking rubbish.

You were offered a nice bottle of Champagne and some chocolates to take with you, but you declined.

Yes the Haig Italian Restaurant does have very nice food.

The customers who stay at our hotel, love our customer service, clean rooms, great value, city location. I believe there are no such things as terrible hotels. I have travelled all over the world for 35 plus years.

BAZ REO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at CEA on business a few weeks back. I went through booking.com and managed to get a special rate of $135 for a studio apartment.

I have to say I really don't understand what these people are writing about on trip advisor, I never write reviews but I feel I have to after seeing all the negative feedback, it is without a doubt utter crap. I received fantastic service from the time I arrived to the time I left.

Great location, walking distance from the city centre. I was able to park my car for free underneath the hotel, there aren't many hotels I have stayed at over the years that offer free parking!

My room had everything you could possibly need for an overnight stay. The facilities in my room would also be well suited to families staying for a few nights. Kitchenette, two fridges, bathroom, the room was very spacious and clean and had a balcony overlooking the nature park over the road.

Didn't get a chance to try the Haig restaurant for dinner but the breakfast in the morning was great, and very fairly priced.

This hotel is great value, I will be back.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I've travelled quite a bit to Canberra for work and for personal reasons. After an urgent request to attend a work meeting in the capital, my receptionist had booked me into CEA. I honestly wish she had booked elsewhere instead!

Room smelt strongly of an unpleasant odour. After advising the receptionist of this, I was told that no other rooms were available and although the receptionist did apologise, I found it quite hard that there were no rooms available.

The comments on here are true and after reading the general managers response, it appears that "Baz" is lacking any empathy.

Why would you work in a business where "customer service" is so crucial when all your replies are so rude? I have never met an unprofessional person like this before. I have travelled for almost 27 years and so far, CEA has got to be the worst place I have stayed in.

The following were also noted during my one night stay:

- Stain marks on the sheets on the bed
- Hair strands were found in the bathroom sink
- Mold in the shower
- Dust all along the tv
- Staff were very unhelpful.

Please save your money and stay elsewhere.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Anita25391
ceahotel, General Manager at Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Anita25391,

Well what an absolute bunch of rubbish you have written.

You checked-in to our hotel, went up to your room, then came back down to Reception and very abruptly told my young staff member that you had booked a Two Bedroom Apartment, she informed you that we do not have any Two Bedroom Apartments, you then told her she was rude, she asked you for your paperwork, you refused, she then said I can't help you without your paperwork.
She showed you our paperwork that we had, and it clearly stated that you had booked a One Bedroom Spa Suite CE4, you then went back to your room, and rang Reception and said that the room now smelled.
My Reception team member went up to your room and checked (there was no smell by the way) he then went to our storeroom, got some Drano, went back up to your room poured it down the drain in you room. Before leaving the room he asked you, how was everything now re the smell, and you informed him that everything was now great.

All of the comments you have made above about my hotel are completely UNTRUE.

I forgot to mention that in the beginning, you did try to bully my young staff member and cancel your booking and you were informed very politely, that is was too late to cancel.

I BAZ love all the customers who stay at out hotel, over 98.3% of the people who stay with us, love our customer service, clean rooms, great value, city location, but I BAZ do not and will not suffer fools.

A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE CUSTOMERS WHO TAKE THE TIME AND WRITE NICE POSITIVE THINGS ABOUT OUR HOTEL. THANK YOU.

I believe every single hotel around the world give great customer service, there are no such things as terrible hotels. I have travelled all over the world for 35 plus years.

BAZ REO

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Had room 311 which had a balcony. No its not 5 star and we did not want that. We are not concerned about wether or not the decor is the latest trend or not. We just like comfort and cleanliness and this place ticked all our boxes.
Room was spacious and had everything we needed. Kitchen area had a bar fridge as well as a fridge/freezer which was well used for our 4 night stay. Bathroom had a shower over a bath. We were here for a sporting competition so was thankful for the bath.
Didn't hear any noise from neighbouring rooms at all including water pipes which we have had at other locations. Slept well all night with traffic noise minimal.
Easy walking distance to Canberra Centre which had lots of eating choices and also to Ainslee where we walked to the Football Club for a meal and to the small shopping centre there for a takaway at the excellent Theo's.
Parking - there is no allocated parking spot for individual rooms just a general under parking area. If this was full the overflow areas were pointed out. We had to park in front of reception only once but this was not a problem. Spaces were quite tight.
Overall we would definitely return if visiting Canberra again. We had no problems.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jkwombat
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Worst hotel ever.sleep in ur car but never ever stay here.all blackmarks on the wall.everywhere mess.lift dirty finger marks still there for many days,public toilets not cleaned for 2 days,balcony cobwebs and never cleaned,under bed rubbish,mouldy bathroom.no sign of cleaning.was not like that on my previous stay.reception staff busy on their ipad ,mobile phones rather than smiling for quest.need to press bell to call rec staff as 3 of them inside room talking loudly.24 hr service is not that u expect.never again.not recommed to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank cristi2313
ceahotel, General Manager at Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear cristi2313,

I am sorry to say that we do not have early check-in; our check-in time is 2.00pm.

I am aware that you were very upset at not being able to check-in early, we do advertise everywhere, that check-in time is 2.00pm. We have bag storage for guests who arrive early, we have a shower room located on the 3rd floor next to the Sauna Room with towels, shampoo and soap which is available for use by our guests at no charge.

The public toilets are cleaned every day by my head of housekeeping of 19 years and they are spotless, our guests are always commenting on how clean the toilets are.

Our guests are also commenting on how clean and tidy our rooms are as well.

None of your so called concerns were raised at anytime during your stay; why!!! - to me, it looks like you are making stuff up and then writing it on tripadvisor.

People, if any, who read what you have written, will be able to see right through you.

Here we/you go again, using tripadvisor to talk rubbish.

Harball
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Unfortunately, I was unable to get a room during my work trip to Canberra overnight in any other hotel and was stuck with CEA.

Pro's:
staff are very friendly
convenient
free undercover parking

Cons:
20 years overdue for an upgrade. The ole blue and lemon scheme was so in, in 1997!
The room 130, has no natural light so it is dark and on a 26 degree day was incredibly cold.
Room service options are limited with very little healthy options
Air conditioning took 2 hours to warm up the room
Could be cleaner (but not really dirty)
poor value for money. For such an old run down room, I would expect the price to be lower.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank Harball
ceahotel, General Manager at Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Harball,

You had a bad and very uppity attitude right from the time that you where checking-in.

You stayed in one of our One Bedroom Spa Suite CE5 - these rooms are the best value family rooms in Australia; they sleep a family of 5 in great comfort (queen bed and 3 x king single beds for $199).

You were unable to work the air-conditioning, I would say you don’t have air-cond at home.

Also we have very easy to read instructions in the comprendium in all of our rooms on how to use the air-conditioner. All my staff are trained on how to use the air-conditioners as well. You had the air-conditioner set on fresh air only, so it's no wonder that it did not heat.

The comments you make are not factual they are simply your negative comments.

It's actually my great young staff that are stuck with uppity people like you - the example that you are setting for our young people is not a good one.

I look forward to welcoming you back back when next you travel to Canberra.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

My family had room 330 which was the family spa room on the top floor. We were 30 minutes early for check in and was told no early check ins are allowed. That didn't bother me as we needed to do a spot of food shopping for our stay. I found the staff to be courteous and helpful throughout my stay. The room was clean and presentable with complementary Kit Kats.
I didn't eat at the Italian restaurant as in my opinion it was to expensive for a family of 4 to eat at. I enjoyed the 2 spas and gym that they have on the 2nd floor. Traffic noise was a problem on the friday night , with the local hoons treating the roads like a race track. The other nights we never had a problem. The other guests were very quiet and never heard a thing from them. If you are planning a vista to Canberra and want a nice place to stay then stay here.

PS. Thanks for the extra rolls of toilet paper my kids got off you. slight stomach bug.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family