“More than adequate but 'executive' is a bit of a stretch” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra

Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra
Ranked #53 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Darwin, Australia
“More than adequate but 'executive' is a bit of a stretch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I understand the need to promote properties in a positive light. However, the word 'executive' conjures up images of 4 or 5 star and I would not rate this hotel at that level. That said, compared to other hotels it was priced very competitively and was more than adequate in terms of facilities, comfort and location. My room was clean and tidy and the kitchenette was adequate for basic cooking needs. My main 'criticism' (as an executive hotel) is that it looked a bit tired and run down. Also, the apartment lacked some of the things I would expect in an 'executive' hotel such as a washing machine and drier, dvd player and perhaps a coffee table. Maybe a bit of nice artwork on the walls would be good too. My guess is that the property is about 40 years old and to bring it up to scratch would require a significant upgrade. That said, the service was friendly, breakfast was reasonably priced with enough variety to satisfy, and there are plenty of dining options within walking distance of the property.

Room Tip: Beware of the building noise next door at the moment. While it wasnt a problem at night, if you want...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank conatus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for 4 nights in a double bed room. When we arrived the clerk was quite rude to us and told us our debit card wasn't a 'real' credit card, and told us we could trash the room and then empty our bank accounts. Clearly he does not know much about debit cards, because even if I was to have $2 in my account, it would go into the negatives for me if the hotel was to charge my card and they would still receive all their money. Other hotels I have stayed at have NEVER had this problem.
When we arrived to our room on the second floor my first impression was that the room was overly average.

Next I tried the shower. Not only did the water keep turning off by itself, but would randomly change temperatures half way through my shower and burn me. The pressure was also terrible. More problems with the bathroom; the ceiling is WAY to low. You had to be careful not to hit your hand on it when showering.
The bathroom also needs another light. With the shower-curtain closed, the shower/bath is completely dark and you can barely see what you are doing. So either leave the curtain to the side and get the floor/toilet all wet, or shower in the dark.

Next was the TV: the fact the hotel states it has free Foxtel is a complete lie. There were crappy channels on a tiny television. And not only that, but the TV likes to turn on by itself in the middle of the night. 2 nights of our stay, we woke up to the TV going, even though the remote was on the other side of the room.

Next is the noise. The fact I got woken up every morning to the people next door using their taps is ridiculous! We could also hear every conversation outside in the lobby!

Finally the maid service: there is NO sign to hang on your door to say you to not want your room serviced! So don't plan on sleeping past 9am because you'll be woken up by the cleaners!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Redhead_archer
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Confortable, if small but well equipped studio apartment. A bit tired. Ok for an overnighter for those going for an exhibition or Floriade. well located within walking distance of the shopping centre and lots of restaurants. Good cooked breakfast and there is an Italian restaurant in the hotel with a good menu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away for the main road which is very noisy day and night
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Refused extra blanket, photocopied photo I'd without asking, not enough parking had to park on the nature strip out the back overnight very small family accommodation very bad water pressure which was very hard to adjust for correct heat caused burns

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kathleenagodley

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed here to break up a trip down to the snowy mountains from Sydney. The hotel was exactly what we were after, somewhere clean, comfortable and convenient to stay overnight and get some rest before leaving again early in the morning. We got in late so didn't get a chance to sit in the restaurant on site, but they do offer room service from the restaurant until 10pm so we were able to get a light meal before bed which was good.

This definitely isn't a flashy hotel, but has everything you need and is quite spacious. It's a bit of a walk to the shops/restaurants. Would definitely be friendly family as the room we were in had a sofa that could be converted to a bed if needed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed in a spa room because that was all that was available at the time. Thre's good and bad things about the place.

The welcome from the two men when I checked in was alright but it was not what you'd expect from people serious about the hospitality industry. On the other hand the waitresses in the attached restaurant made a take-away coffee for me and were friendly, obliging and sociable.

The room layout was fine (but I did stay in a spa suite). There was a table to work on, chairs in the bedroom, a workable kitchen, two small complimentary KitKat bars and ample sachets of coffee, hot chocolate and tea. I couldn't get either of the airconditioners to work properly, but thought it wasn't big enough problem to complain.

Internet on the 3rd floor worked fine and was charged at $10 / stay, which can't be complained about.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ceahotel, Manager at Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear MadandliliLee,
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel.
I only wished you had asked one of my staff members as they all know how to work the air-conditioners in the rooms.
Please remember when staying in hotels, just ask as we want you to enjoy your stay with all.
We are a great place to stay when in Canberra.
Yours sincerely,
Baz Reo
Hotel Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here for business for 2 nights. On arrival, it gives off a seedy vibe, but overall I was pleased. It was quiet, comfortable and clean. I appreciated the kitchenette so I could make breakfast and dinner (a nice change when travelling for work). There was undercover parking, however the spaces were a little tight! Staff was friendly, but check in was a little disorganised. I would stay here again. Good value for money compared to the rest of Canberra.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business