“Drab, tired hotel but easy walk to city centre”

Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra
Ranked #54 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
London, United Kingdom
“Drab, tired hotel but easy walk to city centre”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed here after it was booked for me by my work. First impression is that it looked a bit run down. My room didn't lock properly and when I spoke to one of my colleagues who also stayed there she said she had the same problem with her room. Rooms were clean but decor was outdated. In terms of location it was easy to walk to the city centre so if you're just stopping for a night it is ok. However the area is a bit shady according to my taxi driver and there were some interesting characters out front at night. Reception was average. I requested to not be booked in there again by my work and would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank emh01
ceahotel, Owner at Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear emh01,
I am sorry to hear the comments you have made about my hotel, the comments are an opinion. Please be informed that your opinion is in the minority of people who stay here - over 98.3% of the people who stay here love us, why, for our location, value, comfort, price and our friendly staff. Yes it's probably best that you do not stay here. One can only wonder what shape you will be in, when you are as old as my hotel, by the way, we are in great shape, as we are constantly informed by all the people who stay here with us.
I do hope, that nobody ever says to you, that you are shabby and tired.
Cheers Jim Stanwell.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Thanks to Wotif this hotel was very affordable and within walking distance to the CBD. The Reception staff could have been more welcoming initially, otherwise, our 6 day stay was very comfortable(the bed was excellent), the room had a well appointed kitchenette & was serviced daily and with complimentary KitKats! We would certainly recommend this property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ruian
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Lodged here during a stressful exam - wasnt a cheap spot!! but my room (and half the rooms) border the main highway, so passing motorcycles and hoons shook the room. Cigarette smoke from people smoking on adjacent balconies drifted into my room (despite closing balcony door as tightly as possible with flimsy shade over door) - enough so that the smell stained my suit. And, as an added bonus, party evolved in adjacent room and management said they couldn't do anything about it!! It is not worth the money - would have had better nights sleep camping and truely irritated I spent any money on this place.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Cynthia1977

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Large room. Large bed. Room had a bathtub. Excellent after doing 2000klms on a motorbike in 3 days. Lovely guest soaps and shampoo etc. small kitchenette in room. Bed was comfy. Staff (especially Gary on front counter) were great. Restaurant had nice meals. Was allowed to park my bike in view of front desk.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Angelus01
sydney
Reviewed October 27, 2012

extremely rude front desk staff.they treat you as if you are staying free.Not recommended at all.I dont know if staff is changed otherwise would definitely not recommend to stay.Average location,isolated from everything,average rooms and no recreation facilities.

Room Tip: avoid this like plague.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank deepak_rai
ceahotel, Owner at Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Deepak_Rai,
I am having trouble understanding what your concerns might be - please be informed that none of my staff are rude to our guests. We are located 2 blocks north of the CBD, a fantastic location from which to start exploring Canberra. Our rooms are very well maintained and represent great value accommodation in Canberra. The comments you make about my staff and my hotel are not correct.
Bairnsdale, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My family and I stayed here for our Floriade visit October 2012. We were delighted with the bathroom toiletries they have provided, the lemon myrtle infused products were very relaxing. The 4 for the price of three breakfast buffet was also very welcome. The bedclothes were clean, the staff all friendly and helpful and even happy to chat with you if you require. We rested quite well as the room was quiet. Also, the milk and the kitkats were lovely! We also ate in the Haig Restaurant and my, was it sumptuous!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Malcolm A
Brisbane
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here one night in October 2012. My room had 5 beds, a little kitchen, and a nice fridge. We could have fitted the whole family (very unusual for a hotel room). Bed was very comfy, TV and kettle etc worked well. My room had a spa bath big enough for 2 adults. Blankets and sheets were crispy and comfy. I think my bed had memory foam. Ahhhhh. The hotel was quiet. The staff were friendly and helpful.

They have free Kit-kats in the fridge, and a very decent breakfast buffet for $15.00 + an on-site restaurant (I didn't try that). It was fine - nothing boutique, but perfectly adequate.

There is no porter, and no doorman, and nothing flashy that you would get a more expensive place. If you are expecting something super flash for the price, then you need to be more realistic.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms do not have as much sun as upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business