“Biggest Bed!”

Pavilion on Northbourne
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed here a few weeks ago just after Easter and we're still commenting on the size of the huge bed. A whole family could have slept in it! Conversely, the bathroom was tiny but I guess you spend less time in there. They had the best block out blinds that I have ever encountered in a hotel. I liked that you could order mini bar items rather than having them stocked. The rooms surround a forest filled atrium that contains the bar and dining area. The hotel has a dated/retro vibe that is a little kitschy but appealing nonetheless.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

My room was very loud, but not because of road traffic although I was facing northbourne road. The first thing I noticed upon entering my room was a low buzzing coming from the wall. As it was past midnight I shrugged and went to bed. Only to be awakened by the buzz turning into more of a vibration at about 5am. I figured it was coming from the aircon vents after a bit, sighed and put up with it.
In the morning I had a shower and genuinely thought I broke something. The plumbing made an awful sound that made the walls vibrate. It continued for at least 15 min. Same story when I flushed the toilet, which was odd since it'd been fine the night before.
For the price this hotel is rundown, and the bathrooms in poor condition. The bed was very comfortable, the staff friendly and the location good, but the price doesn't match the facilities you get.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Je3s
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Comfortable hotel, very pleasant front desk staff. The atrium with greenery gives the place a good feel. Parking is included in the price.
The room we had only had liquid soap dispensers and if you fancy a bath you have to stand each time to apply soap.
Major letdown was the Wi-Fi $6 for 60 minutes and it was pretty useless. Unable to log on most of the time. Why can cafés, art galleries etc. provide free Wi-Fi but not hotels?

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first floor, don't pay for the Wi-Fi use the free ones available at th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2014

my friend and I stayed here for the Canberra Folk Festival. The twin bed room was really nice , they have a good bar fridge which gratefully was empty rather than being stocked with things you don't want. Great shower! The online booking price was good and better than wotif. The staff are very helpful and friendly unlike some hotels. Thank you breakfast staff and blonde girl on reception, friendly bar guy we need you ,thats what makes me want to write a review! The garden atrium is lovely and imbued a nice warmth. The atmosphere of the hotel is warm and welcoming. Only criticism is the bar closed too early! But it was very quiet despite a full Easter house.

Room Tip: There are twin rooms with a queen and a single , same price as a double.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 days along with other members of my family who stayed in various sized other rooms during April 2014. I found my room clean and tidy and I noted that the other 3 rooms that my family occupied were also clean and tidy. The bathroom area however, in my room did not have anywhere to hang your clothes.
Although I am a light sleeper and my room was on the traffic side of the hotel, I did not have any problem with undue traffic noise,
The rooms were spacious and the staff friendly and both my family and I will stay at the Pavilion next time we are in Canberra.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ross C
Reviewed April 8, 2014

A family group stayed here for a family get together - 5 rooms including a family room. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their stay - the staff were all lovely. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Breakfast was good. The four year olds loved playing hide and seek in the "jungle". Could do with brighter light above the mirror.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ruth2590
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This hotel is absolutely nothing to write home about. The room I got was an upgrade to a 'suite', but that just meant two small rooms, one with a sofa in it, I can't imagine what a 'room' must be like.

A 2% charge for using a credit card is a bit cheeky these days, especially in a hotel where rooms are approaching $200 a night.

The room decor was a bit old and tired. Very plain.
Annoyingly, all the electrical outlets in the room were right down on the skirting board so I couldn't plug in anything with a transformer (mobile, laptop) or with anything other than a "straight in" plug.

The iron was a brand new steam one though that seemed strangely at odds with the age of everything else. I got the impression that the age old one had just died and this was the replacement.

The free shuttle bus to the airport was convenient, although it seemed the driver did his level best to obstruct cycle paths whenever the opportunity arose!; pulling out of side roads and blocking them (despite no gap in traffic) and simply stopping to drop passengers off by pulling onto a cycle path rather than use nearby parking spots.
I know that's not really a review of the hotel per se, but as a conscientious driver, it was very annoying. I'm amazed one of the many cyclists that were forced to manoeuvre around the bus didn't complain more strongly. The bus also smelled of cigarettes, but I was sat right behind the driver, it may just have been him.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business