“Excellent value for money”

Pavilion on Northbourne
Ranked #22 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We chose the Pavillion for its proximity to attractions and great rates. It is situated on Northbourne Avenue, just 3km from the city.
Our booking was pre-paid online and there were no check-in problems. Parking is outdoor in a secure car park. The ambience of the hotel is enhanced by the lush atrium surrounding the bar and eateries, a discreet fountain tucked away in one corner.
The room was lovely and clean, a/c worked well and windows had heavy drapes - good for keeping the heat out.
The swimming pool was on the ground floor, transitioning from the atrium & restaurant indoors, to an outdoor eating area, and the invitingly blue waters of the pool itself!
Very happy with our choice of accommodations.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Easyriders1369

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed December 26, 2013

You can't really visit Canberra without a car so its location a couple of km from town is not an issue. We booked a last minute $99 special. This made it excellent value for money although the $5 credit card charge seemed to be excessive especially given that there is no other way to pay for the accomodation. The room was bright and large and very comfortable. Wifi was not free which was the only disappointment. These days this should be a given in any accommodation facility.

We didn't try any of the bar or food services on this visit but I have eaten here in the past and the meal was fine.

Free car parking was conveniently located behind a locked gate.

Room Tip: I'd try for a room at the back as the road passing the front is very busy and these rooms could...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I really liked this place. I booked last minute and I stayed for one night earlier this month. I arrived early (probably about 2.5 hours before check-in) with the intention of just dropping my bags off as I was attending an all-day festival nearby, but was delighted to find that my room was ready upon my arrival and was able to check in & freshen up a bit!
The room was really nice, better than what I was expecting. Huge window, lots of lighting, spacious design and the bed was super, super comfy!
I ordered room service for breakfast and found it to be cheap, timely and delicious! Check out was a breeze. Everything was excellent.

After checking out, I realised I left my credit card in my room and called the hotel to see if it had been found. They grabbed my details and kept in touch with me via text (I was travelling/flying a lot and this was the easiest method), and I received the card in the mail the following week. Thank you to Kris from housekeeping for organising this!!

I would definitely recommend this place if you're looking for somewhere to stay in Canberra. :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I like this place. Was there on business for one night only. Place was very organised.

Had a nice room overlooking the pool (it was raining so no bikini babes unfortunately :-)

I loved the bar area. I had a late meal at the bar which was chicken, chips and salad that was reasonably priced for Canberra and filled the hole. You can eat and have a drink in a nice tranquil atrium that is like a rainforest - very nice.

The room itself was quite large and clean and comfortable.

You have to pay for the movie channel on TV which is a bit dissappointing.

Sorry, didn't get the time to explore the facilities in the surrounding area. It is not really in walking distance to the city - a concern if you like a few drinks. Although from the maps of the area there may have been some other eateries around.

I would go there again but you will have to make sure you have $100 security deposit if you don't want problems checking in.

Parking is free and secure but not under cover which is a bit of a worry if you have a nice car or a hire car.

I'm hoping to try a few more places in Canberra as I will be there fairly regularly. The best place I have stayed so far is Clifton on Northbourne except for the building going on next door to it, which is why I don't want to go back until it is finished.

Still searching for that quiet hotel in Canberra, i.e. no noise to wake you up too early.

Room Tip: One overlooking the pool could be goodin the summer ;-)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed in the Aria Hotel and had an evening meal in the Pavilion Hotel Restaurant next door on 30 December 2013. They charged $57.50 for two main courses which were meagre in the extreme - four prawns on one dish and a very small piece of Barramundi which was tough and pink in the middle on the other. On a previous visit a long time ago the evening meal here was reasonable but no longer. At the Dickson Centre not far away there are many very good restaurants where higher quality and better cooked food is available in reasonable portions and we would recommend any of these in comparison. How can such a prominent hotel in Canberra allow its Restaurant to decline to this level?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Tony G
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Not the kind of 4.5 star hotel I was expecting.. looks tired and old. Room is clean. Was offered $50 upgrade to a suit but decline as only 1 night. Location is good. Parking is plenty at no cost. I would rate this hotel closer to 3.5 star.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 09S
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed at hotel for 2 nights on business, having stayed at a hotel 3*** in Brisbane the previous 4 days, I was looking forward to another awesome stay in Canberra. My room was just below the "function/Conference Room". There was loud banging noise from the function room above, complained and was promised the noise will clear within an hour! the noise continued....my colleague in the next room eventually requested to be moved. this continued for the duration of my stay. I was also awoken early morning by the Garbage Bin below the open space overlooking the hotel room. The Shuttle service was non-existent every time we requested for one, we were told to use Bus service or taxi to the City Center. Checking in- and checking out was a challenge. I had to pay +-$446 Dollars holding deposit and upon checkout pay 348.84 Dollars even though the bill was settled by the Travel Agent before our arrival at the hotel. the Hotel is not located in close proximity to the City Center in case you need change of scenery and dining out. the hotel is very dated and requires attention. The breakfast needs some improvement.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms below the Function room, too much noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business