“It is what it is, but not what it was”

Pavilion on Northbourne
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The glory has faded but it has character. It is interesting to see what was cutting edge 30 years ago because I don't think much has changed since then, although the bathroom has been spruced up a bit. Despite that I enjoyed the 1 night stay- booked at short notice in a non-sitting week and therefore pretty cheap. Northbourne Ave location is an easy location to find but a bit of a walk to anywhere useful. Check-in was friendly enough, no issues.

A few minor issues- the information folder was a mess, missing pages (including the room service menu) and out of date info, the TV had to be reset onto AV1 and had to be reset every time it was turned on, and the (horror!) dreaded body wash instead on soap in the shower. The door was a bit out of wack, had to be really pushed hard to close properly.

Woke up feeling crook which I put down to the previous night's meal (don't know what else it could have been) so wasn't too interested in breakfast, however I had already booked the BF deal at check in so didn't want to waste it. Cereal was OK, B & E pretty ordinary but that verdict may have been coloured by my gut ache.

The "indoor forest" seems to be a Canberra phenomenon. There is plenty scrub all around Canberra without having to grow bloody trees indoors, for god sake!

4 star is a bit a laugh but then the whole star rating system is a laugh. Don't expect too much, but forewarned with my soap I would return if cheap.

Room Tip: Ask for one!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EllvisPresley

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were met by a very friendly member of staff at registration, who greeted us warmly and explained everything to us very thoroughly.

Very simply, my issues are:
1. No plates knives, spoons etc in the unit. It made having a few pre diner nibbles difficult.
2. The spa pool started spitting out green slime when the bubble machine was turned on. Please guys flush the lines regularly.
3. The pillows were totally unbearably hard. Do invest in better pillows.

The staff at dinner were extremely personable, and our dining experience that much more enjoyable.

Overall, much room for improvement.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jaguar40
Reviewed October 9, 2013

After some really bad experience with Canberra accommodation I’m quite conservative while picking a place to stay in Canberra. I normally have a couple of favourite places that I book every time I go to Canberra but this time round they were fully booked out and I had to investigate other options. Having heard some good feedback about the Pavilion I decided to give it a try and I didn’t regret. The Pavilion is a decent hotel with a nice restaurant and a little unusual decor in the lobby (sort of pavilion in the middle of the building).

Rooms are pretty standard but clean and serviced properly – nothing really exceptional about it. Parking is available at no extra cost. Check-out took me a bit of time as it was a single staff member processing the queue at that time, which was a little frustrating. Otherwise, a pretty good place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank immotus
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Paviliion on Northbourne. It was close to attractions we wanted to see, and information centre. Breakfast and dinner meals were superb served in delightful surrounds. The shower was a little difficult to get in and out of for older less agile people. Would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Barry M
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel's greatest feature is the atrium - it holds a restaurant (WONDERFUL dinner. Well cooked and quick), plus a bar in a beautiful garden setting as well as a cafe. We ate and drank there each night we stayed, and had breakfast at the cafe.

I am very picky about cleanliness, and was very impressed with the standard of cleanliness at the Pavillion. Staff were very polite and helpful. I really could not fault this place. We will absolutely stay there next time we are in town (which I hope is soon, because Canberra is great).

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the gym as the noise of people running in the treadmill might annoy some.
4  Thank MissZoeLaLa
Reviewed September 21, 2013

A coat of paint makes the pictures look way better than the rooms actually do. Overpriced, run down and outdated furniture and fixtures, heating that doesn't work, a dirty towel left in the room, dirty old carpet, wine not available that is on the menu. No extra blankets, one size pillow fits all, 2 towels (generous) to a room, new release movies $18.95 All this at a "discounted" $169. Reviews on Agoda are a sham. Staff are o.k. our room central heating didn't work on a cold and wet Canberra day. 5 visits by various people still didn't make a difference. Last person gave us a noisy little air blower heater! When we complained to the manager she upgraded us to a spa room, Heater didn't work in there either! Spa looked like it had seen a lot of action, no shower curtain for the shower. Self contained unit with no crockery or utensils. Living room set top box didn't work so rather we borrowed the one from the bedroom. ON a positive if you like plants there are heaps of them outside the rooms and in the restaurant. I have stayed in many hotels in my travels and would advise you could find way better for the price. This Hotels rooms should be around the $99 budget price.

Room Tip: Another location would be good
3  Thank skidys
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a lovely place to stay. Came here on a business trip and booked because they had a great deal. Terrific lobby with nice ambience, bar and restaurant. My room was quiet and bed very comfortable. Location on Northbourne Ave is convenient and the hotel did not have issues with noise. Service was smooth and professional.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business