“No heating”

Pavilion on Northbourne
Ranked #22 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last month for 2 nights for a business trip. A lot of other industry colleagues stay at this hotel and recommended it, hence why I booked it.

I have to say, the man at reception tried to upsell everything to me. Breakfast, room upgrades etc in the end I felt like I was in McDonalds.

My room was comfortable and spacious, however the main room air conditioning/heating did not work. I was patient and waited awhile just incase it hadn't yet kicked in, however it did not work. I called reception and the man came and looked at it for me and seemed surprised it didn't work. He tried and tried but it still didn't work - I told him I would leave it and see if it worked after awhile, but no luck yet again. By this time I was not really impressed, May in Canberra is starting to get quite cold so I couldn't imagine staying in that room in winter. As I left for dinner I told him to sort something out by the time I got back. When I returned he had been in my room whilst I was out and looked at the heating again (which I was not impressed that he had done this) and then gave me a portable heater. So again I was patient and waited for it to work - which it did and I was thankful for that. However, to the next person staying in that room the same issue will probably arise.

The hotel itself is nice. The atrium area is a good place to sit back and have a drink at the bar or for a meal. I found my room quiet, but I was at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank barina80
Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I made my 2nd stay in 18 months at Pavilion on Northbourne Canberra. I was not avoiding the hotel during that period of time, I happened to book other hotels for my trips to Canberra largely due to cost management reasons (this was a business trip, not a holiday).
This time, I decided to return to Pavilion and it was a good decision I made. Just like what I had experienced in my previous stay, the hotel & the room were, to my eyes, kept in good condition. Cleanliness was spot on, everything in the room worked fine. I used the fitness room for my daily run. The equipment provided was basic - a couple of bikes, a treadmill & a weight machine, but that's all most of us would need anyway.
I had dinner and breakfast at the hotel - the service was between well-above-average to good, fast & efficient.
The staff members I came across at the reception and in the 2 restaurants seemed to know what they were doing (which to me is very important when I stay at hotels).

The location of the hotel is not right in the middle of the CBD but as is always the case with me, I had a car to myself and there were plenty of parking spots available during my stay.

In terms of the price, I paid just below $150 per night for my room (including buffet breakfast!) so that was a great value for money.
Overall, the hotel ticked all my "needs" boxes and I would definitely return to Pavilion on Northbourne as long as it fits within my budget.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed two nights over the weekend and got a good price, but there were a few points that would make me look for somewhere else next time. The rooms are clean but noisy- there is a big vent in the room and the bathroom, and you can hear people very clearly all around. The room was really hot when I arrived, and although I had heating turned off, the vent from the roof was blasting hot air in all night. The window faced towards to road, so it was a bit noisy to have it open all night. Also I was in a non-smoking room, but there was a smoky smell at times, probably due to the vents again. Staff were nice, and bed was comfy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is looking very tired and in need of a major refurbishment. I have stayed here before recently and it has not really improved. Rooms are very basic but adequate. There is not much storage space so just bring an overnight bag. The hotel is quite noisy with the traffic on the major route through Canberra and the restaurant in the middle filtering into all rooms. Cost is reasonable so if you want a small room in a noisy location and you are just passing through - this might be your choice! One other factor which is inconvenient is that it is 2,5 km into town so you need to rely on car or taxis.

Room Tip: Ask not to be in the front rooms on Northbourne
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were in Canberra for the Australian Master's Rowing and needed a good place to sleep each night. we selected the Pavilion as it was recommended by the organisers. We were not disappointed - it is a good place to rest a weary head. Reception convinced us to upgrade to a suite for $30 - a good deal. The room was very functional with the bathroom its best feature. This is not a resort hotel by any means, it is a good safe place to stay when travelling.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our overnight stay was a very pleasant and easy experience. Check in and out was fast, staff helped us with directions and a map. Our room overlooked the main road, oh well you can't always have a view, but it was quiet, and comfortable with modern décor. We dined in, taking advantage of a late evening special, and not having to worry about drinking and driving. We had a drink in the atrium bar before going into the dining area.The meal was excellent, the hotel was not busy, so it was peaceful and relaxing with attentive but not pushy service. We felt this hotel was value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SydneySider5
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The room was neat, tidy, and comfortable and would definitely come back again based on the room alone, but only for business. This is largely because if work is paying for the second rate breakfast, Terrible coffee and cafe like conditions then that's fine but I would hate to pay it myself. The staff we incredibly helpful and nice but they are being let down by motel conditions. $19 for pre-paid breakfast that doesn't include real coffees that you pay extra for? Disappointing. Expensive breakfast but you collect your own knives and forks, there is no salt an pepper on the table, and the condiments etc are often requiring refilling? Not really good enough. This could be a great place to stay as its a little different to other spots but it really needs an overhaul of the kitchens to produce better quality food, look at the way service is deliver (the staff are keen and up for it) and just finish things off and get better value for the high prices. But at the end of the day it was clean, comfy and fine for a business stay.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business