“An experience I would rather forget”
Review of Brassey Hotel

Brassey Hotel
Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Terrible service. This is a nice hotel. Dont get me wrong there, but they lacked a lot of customer service the night I stayed there.
I arrived mid afternoon, was given a swipe card for my room and went of to put my bags in. When I got to the room my card key would not work. I tried it other ways and still no luck. I returned to reception where they reimaged the card. I walked back to my room only to have the same problem. No matter what I did it would not open. I went back to reception and this time they said, it must be a faulty card. we will do a new one. Back to my room, the same experience. It would not open. Now I had been at the hotel 30 minutes and still was not in my room. I returned again to reception and asked could I have house keeping come along. The lady at the reception frowned and grabbed the key and walked with me to show me how to use the card. I stay at over 100 hotels a year. As if I dont know how to use a card. She put the card in the door, looked at me as if to say, this is how you do it, and wow. It wouldnt open no matter what she did.
Finally she used the master key which did open the door.
When inside I found that the back plate of the lock was missing its screws and when the card went it it just pushed the mechanism back. I showed the lady from reception the problem and she said she would get maintainance down to fix it. Meanwhile I could not leave my room as I would not be able to get back in. So I waited. After an hour there was no show and by now maintainance would have gone home. There was no one to fix the door and the hotel did not seem concerned.
I ened up using my the airline baggae stickers from my suitcase to stick the casing to the door so that I could fulfil my duties as the guest speaker at a business dinner at the hotel that night and get back into my room.
There were no apologies and although it is a nice hotel, they have lost me as a future customer.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank aus_gregg

Reviewed February 24, 2008

My wife & I stayed at the Brassey for a Saturday night to see the AFL at Manuka Oval. This was the second time we had stayed at the Brassey. The chocolates in the room recognising our second stay was a nice touch.

We stayed in a Heritage room which had a queen sized bad as well as a single. The room was very spacious although the bed was quite hard. We were very happy however that the hotel was nice & quiet even though a hen's night party was booked for one of the function rooms. We wouln't have even known it was on.

The bar is a very nice spot to sit & have a pre-dinner drink. We can also recommend the restaurant's desserts as the staff were good enough to serve us at 9.30pm after we'd been out to one of the local restaurants. The desserts were less expensive & much more appertising than what was on offer down the road.

All of the staff were fantastic and more than willing to help with anything you needed. All was done with a smile too.

We find the location to be great as it is walking distance to the cafes & restaurants of Manuka & Kingston. It's also a short stroll to Manuka Oval to watch the sport. It's a beautiful & relaxing part of Canberra & a nice place to get away for a weekend.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2008

My niece and I stayed at the Brassey for 2 days we were sightseeing in Canberra and discovered that you really need a car - however the Brassey was a great place to stay- nice location - a leisurely 20 minute walk from Old & New Parliament House and the National Library. We had an excellent standard room and the breakfast was great. The staff were very helpful. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank IrishEyesSA
Reviewed December 27, 2006

I stayed at the Brassey of Canberra on a business trip and had a pleasant stay. The hotel had an old fashioned charm and the room was decorated nicely and comfortable, though not overly spacious. Upon arriving at the Brassey, I was pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to a heritage room for no charge. The reception staff was friendly and helpful and gave me coupon for a few dollars off at the hotel restaurant. The restaurant was pretty good (I had dinner there) and the continental breakfast (included in my room rate) was very good with foods ranging from hash browns and eggs to fresh fruit and yogurt. Overall, my hotel room and bathroom were clean, however, my only complaint was that the pipes in the bathroom shower vibrated often when in use.

The location was good, but a car is needed to get around to travel around Canberra. And be sure to check out Cockington Green Gardens, a unique tourist attraction that is about a 20-30 minute drive from the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank 1ObservantTraveler
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Wife and I stayed nights of 2 and 3 June at the Brassey (our wedding anniversary)

Found hotel still being painted out. Our room 174 was a heritage deluxe but carpet dirty, chairs tattered. Plumbing also very noisy from rooms above. Grounds were poorly maintained. Check in and check out quite good.

Restaurant: Breakfast was fine, good buffet to our liking, plenty of food and variety.
We ate in Restaurant both nights. Friday night fine, great service because only a dozen or so in the place. HOWEVER on Sat night, very poor service due to it being full, waited 1 and half hours for a meal to be served. I queried this wait with the waitress who apologised saying only a dozen people were booked in for dinner but another 30 were in for dinner without reservation. Thus kitchen could not cope. Not good enough. They should really insist on dinner reservations. I must say though when the meal DID arrive, it was good.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank Leslie C
A TripAdvisor Member
Perth
Reviewed October 24, 2005

I have stayed at the Brassey a number of times. It is an old hotel and some of the standard rooms are showing their age, although there appears to be a programme of updating them. The renovated rooms are basic and small but very satisfactory. Security can be a bit of an issue with many windows without working catches and no locks and one occasion the door lock did not function in the "Privacy" setting. The "Heritage" rooms are great and my preference if they are available. These are very comfortable. The whole hotel has a certain charm that makes it comfortable to be in. The restruant provides good simple meals. I have always found the staff to be helpful and accomodating. Parking is a little tight but adequate.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel several times and the fact that I keep returning to it is a reference in itself.

By Canberra standards this is an old hotel and it has genuine class and style - good ambience, friendly service and nice bedrooms - avoid the standard rooms and choose the Heritage - the former are tiny and dull - the latter large and imaginative.

The restaurant is quite good - though I was amazed when a Stilton sauce appeared that was brown and tastelsess whilst the buffet breakfasts are nothing special.

All in all however, one of the most interesting places to stay in Canberra, and close to the restaurants and shops of both Kingston and Marnaka

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business