“The pinnacle of being let down”

Pinnacle Apartments Canberra
Ranked #39 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed April 25, 2011

This is the second time I've stayed here - the first time with my fussy mum and everything was fine. So I had no problem booking this for Easter with another family. We booked a four bedroom apartment at $350 a night, then added another night (when we arrived we were told this would be $400 for extra night!!!!!).
Unfortunately the disappointments then began. The first of which being the weird room arrangement (for apartment 12) and lack of loungeroom seating for a 9 guests (only 2 2-seaters). The kitchen was very poorly equiped, the bathroom tired and dated (and the shower/bath impossible to get into), the upstairs shower leaked badly, plumbing is very noisy (not good at night), the lighting was poor,and bed springs were very noticeable and uncomfortable.
Though this is supposed to be a seviced apartment we found a note in our room to say limited service on good Friday but in fact lasted the whole 5 nights we stayed. All that was done was making of bed (kind of), new bath towels and bins emptied (no toilets cleaned, new tea towels). The worst part was that a shelf fell out of the fridge and broke a bottle and even though we notified the front desk ,when we returned to our room it had not been vacuumed. When we went to let them know we were given a vacuum to do it ourselves - but the vacuum was a joke and got up hardly any of the glass.. They did managed to find someone from housekeeping who came and mopped and vacuumed (but there was still more glass slivers). We ended up putting a blanket over the area to keep it safe for the kids.
The BBQ was filthy and utensils dirty (so we ended up cooking inside) and it appeared to not even work. One day the gym was locked and another it smelled very bad, no fresh air and food over the floor. Like the review below we weren't impressed with the noise and behaviour of the sporting groups.
The car park was over-full on numerous occasions and diffiicult to maneuver around.
We will definitely not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Chose another place to stay.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank libbywithnall
There are newer reviews for Pinnacle Apartments Canberra

Reviewed April 23, 2011

Stayed over Easter 2011. Booked 2 bedroom apartment, requesting queen and twin. Got 2 queens so 1 teenager had to
sleep with friends. Rooms were reasonably clean but the worst thing was the noise. The complex had a large group of a sports team staying in which the children were allowed to run wild day and night, doors slamming and yelling. In the day they were allowed to play football in the car park. There seemed as there was no adult supervision.There are plenty of other serviced apartments around Canberras so I will be looking at somewhere else when I return in July.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Adelaidetravel
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I really wish I read this site before booking the pinnacle, as I usually do. I stayed in Canberra for a weekend with my mum, dad and boyfriend. The visit was to show my boyfriend the nice suburbs of Kingston and Manuka, as well as the museums. I booked the "pinnacle" because it had been newly refurbished, adn was close to cafes etc.
Mum and I went to check in and were met with, nothing really. We entered the reception and the man sitting at the desk didin't look up. "Hello, how are you?" I inquired, to no immediate response. "I'm well, what do you need?" All the while the man did not look up, but was using his computer and was wearing a hands-free device. As I said he we had a reservation he started talking and it took me a second to realise he was taking calls. It was very difficult to talk with somone having two concurrent coversations. It was poor service, and he never did make eye contact...
We found our two bedroom apartment, which was a double and twin share; I had booked two double rooms. The apartment was just dirty - food stuck to the benchtops, grease on the glasses - the clincher though, was the excrement left in the toilet.

Not wanting to deal with the rude and now incompetent on the front desk, I asked someone else to go. We were moved to another two bedroom-double apartment, however, we were told that room configurations weren't guaranteed. I thought it odd that they would not seek to meet guest requests when there was another apartment available.

The next apartment was moderately better. Our bed was pushed up against the wardrobe, which was odd but not horrendous. Unfortunately, the 1980s- 90s bathroom was not included in the "refurbishment." The "spa" was apart of the shower and it was so so dark you could not see if it was clean, so based on the fact that what I could see was dirty, I played it safe and assumed the spa/shower was filthy and wore thongs in there. There were other, minor things that could've been more professional - but what I've written is enough to demonstrate my experience there.
When we left the next morning we told the lady on reception that the rooms were really dirty (mum found hair the microwave!?)and she seemed mortified. I would be too.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank oliver86
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Excellent stay for 1 night except all the bedside lamps in the bedrooms didn't work and the lock on the front door was loose and needed to be replaced or maintained better. It may trouble some people.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I stayed at the Pinnacle Apartments for three days in late September. The apartments have external stairwells which are very noisy as you can hear every arrival and exit from the apartments, including talking and stomping up the stairs. The apartment I stayed in was on the 1st floor and very dark. The bedrooms were of a good size and the bed comfortable. The apartment was cold as there was one airconditioner to heat the whole place and although I had it set at 30 degrees, it put out little heat. Cold air also came from under the door as there was no weather strip and a large gap. There was a heater in the bedroom which also was ineffective.

The apartments are well equipped and the bathroom had a large spa bath. The complex however needs redecorating. The walls in my apartment had been patched but not repainted and looked very scruffy. Towels are changed and the bed made daily, but some of the bins were not emptied and housekeeping appeared to be minimal. Although my stay had been pre-paid, I was required to leave a $50 key deposit. I used my credit card, which was activated and I was told that after 7 days the transaction would 'drop off'. This is the first time I have been required to leave a key deposit.

The pedestrian security gate to the complex was not working during the entire time I stayed at the apartment. Overall I would rather stay at the Kingston Terrace apartments as they are roomier, brighter and have better security.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2010

It's a little tired and in need of an update, however the rooms were very clean and well presented. It's very well located in the pleasant leafy suburb of Kingston just 5 minutes walk to the Kingston shops. It's a bit of a trip into the city centre, but great for "that" side of town. It was a little noisy with people coming and going during the night, but all in all we had a good night sleep. The staff were pleasant, not that being in a serviced apartment requires too much on that front. It was not cheap at $300 per night for a 2 bedroom apartment (booked on Wotif), but all things considered reasonable value.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Unfriendly and rude reception - room not ready at 2pm check in time. Apartments shabby, dark and noisy. Kitchen filthy - had to wash all items before use. Daily servicing - what a joke - pull up bed and set dishwasher - spent all of 4 minutes in the apartment!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family