“Nothing special”
Review of Tall Trees Motel

Tall Trees Motel
Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed in Canberra and found it difficult to find a good motel. This one was better than the last but nothing special. It was clean and quite. Whilst touring we have generally been staying in motels where the owners are booking you in and running everything and the service has always been very good. This motel being part of a chain the receptionist who booked us in said very little and offered no advice about anything and found it difficult to smile! The bathroom was very small and we found it irritating that the fridge was packed with their products and left little room for us.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Linear5, Owner at Tall Trees Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

We refer to your review. The hotel is not part of a chain. It is privately owned and bears the Best Western branding, promising excellent accommodation and a high level of service. We take your complaint, about the surly attitude of the receptionist, seriously. Thank you for the feedback. We shall certainly take steps to address that issue which, we assure, you is not the norm at this charming property. In regard to the bar fridge - had you asked us to remove a few items from the fridge, we would have gladly obliged. Should you elect to stay with us again, you can be certain
that we will make every effort to ensure that you enjoy your sojourn with us. Kind regards - Guest Relations Team

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We found the Best Western Tall Trees to be very well positioned, very quiet and a great layout however we were very disappointed with the room we were given.

We had selected to stay in the Deluxe Room and were prepared to pay extra for the pillow top mattress because of our bad backs, this was the main reason for choosing BW Tall Trees. We arrived late, tired and emotionally drained after attending a funeral only to find that as we dropped into bed it was not a pillow top mattress but a standard (and very uncomfortable) mattress.

The room was much smaller than it appears online and was by no means a deluxe room. After complaining to the staff we were told that the room didn't have the new pillow top mattress put in yet - well then don't advertise this fact. Regardless of if you purchase a special or not the rooms should still offer exactly the same as normal price and exactly the same as that which is advertised.

No compensation was offered for what was purely the motels fault.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you paid for.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Linear5, Owner at Tall Trees Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

We refer to your review. You specifically asked for a quiet room and our manager made the decision to allocate a slightly smaller executive room to you in in the back wing of the property. We should have told you that the mattress was not a pillow-top, and for that we apologise. All, but a handful, of our 79 guest rooms now have new beds, and the last 6 are expected in the next few days. Please allow us to make amends. Kindly call our General Manager, Pat, ahead of your next viist to Canberra, and she will make every effort to make your stay memorable.
We apologise again. Kind regards - Guest Relations Team

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just back from spending a night at Tall Trees. Big mistake on our part. Arrived to a room of blowflies. Spray provided in room but it should have been done before we arrived. Someone else's hair on pillow! Fresh one provided but should not have been needed. Room cramped. Bedding poor quality. Airconditioner not easy to operate and turned itself off. Night very hot. Room noisy with no outlook. No TV guide provided. Expensive price for no sleep and a sore back!!! I should have read all the reviews before booking!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Iris G
Linear5, Owner at Tall Trees Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

We refer to your review. Flies, on a hot Spring day in Canberra (the temperature on the day of your stay was over 30 degrees), are a fact of life. Our hardworking house-keepers do their best to control the pests, but cannot be expected to be on guard. So, we apologise for the intrusion, and for the minute hair on a pillow, which was overlooked. That should not have happened. In regard to the air-conditioner, we are not aware of any problem with the unit in room 130 (your guest room) and we also note that you did not call the front desk to complain, but chose to register your complaint on the net. Had you sought assistance with the perceived problem at the time, it would have been dealt with.
You certainly should not have had to endure a poor night’s sleep, even at the very reasonable discounted bed and breakfast package price that you paid. All but 7 of our 79 rooms have new mattresses (executive and deluxe rooms have pillow-top mattresses) and the missing 7 new mattresses are being delivered in the next handful of days. It just so happens that the mattress in your room was, coincidentally, replaced on Friday. We apologise unreservedly that the mattress was not up to scratch.
Lastly, you suggest that, had you read the reviews on Trip Advisor, you may not have booked with us. Your experience has not been that of other guests, as any reading of recent reviews will reveal.
Should you allow us to make amends on your next visit to Canberra, please call our General Manager, Pat, ahead of time, and she will make sure that you are looked after. Kind regards – Guest Relations Team

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I booked a queen deluxe room online in preparation for a weekend away with my daughter. Realising that the room was too small, my wife checked the pics of the rooms and discovered we we put into a standard room even after paying the extra money. Not to mention the rude way our query was handled upon checking out. We were told there was nothing they could do, but had we questioned it on booking in they could have put us in a bigger room! Well that was what we paid for to start with.... Why should we have to ask for it????

• Stayed: October 2013
Linear5, Owner at Tall Trees Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

We refer to your review. We note that you took advantage of a "Hot Deal" on Wotif and assure you that you were not "ripped off". You paid a very competitive rate and you were allocated a Deluxe Room (and certainly not a Standard Room) in the rear wing of the hotel, which is marginally smaller than the Deluxe Rooms in the main building of the hotel. No other guest has ever complained about the size, or quality, of the room in question.
We are sorry that you felt that your concerns were rudely dealt with. We take that complaint very seriously and have shared your review with our reception staff to ensure that our customer service is not again called into question.
We would want to welcome you back again and would ask you to call our General Manger, Pat, ahead of time and she will make sure that you are allocated one of our larger rooms and that you enjoy every aspect of your stay with us.
With kind regards - Guest Relations Team

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I booked to stay at Tall Trees for two reasons. One it was a best western & it was within the area I wanted to stay. I arrived to a large notice on reception that 'a large group' was being catered for so much that it affected all access to the restaurant for all meals. When I enquirer I was informed it was a school group that was staying in the main building but I shouldn't be affected as I was staying down the back of the motel. Well I was affected because there were multiple school groups running a muck in the whole motel. On the day we arrived I felt like leaving but I thought I'd give it a go and see... The next day I spoke with reception as breakfast was like sitting in the middle of a noisy school assembly! I was offered the option of room service with no extra charge but even this was not done correctly. On the second afternoon I spoke with reception on returning to the motel and was told how busy they were the previous afternoon dealing with the noise complaints from the school group in our area. The children of high school age used the car park as a play ground throwing & kicking balls without supervision into cars and making other visitors having to dodge them as they would not move. The school group was allowed run up & down stairs and along the balconys until well after dark. This happened the whole time of my stay. Due to the fires in NSW my trip had to be changed, but due to my poor experience I chose not to stay n in Canberra, instead I rang back to Bathurst Best western Coachmans Inn on the daybibwas leaving Canberra, the staff at Bathurst we only to happy to accommodate my staying understanding my turnaround due to the bush fires. When I arrived they had even given me my previous room allowing for my requirements as per my previous stay. Tall Trees need to be more open and honest and deal with issues. Customer service is important and my stay was not cheap for what I got a small smelly room with tiny bathroom, which was mouldy. Poor customer service and poor experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask if they have schools groups and how many! But I don't recommend staying here, bless you are...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank QldSuse
Linear5, Owner at Tall Trees Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

We refer to your review. We have looked into the matter. We had two school groups staying with us over the period of your stay last week. Our General Manager, Pat, confirms that the kids, who were generally well behaved, were running around early in the night, but she does not believe they were noisy late into the night. In regard to your unflattering comment about the standard of your accommodation, Pat offered to move you to one of our large deluxe rooms, at no additional cost, but you declined. Unfortunately, one school group changed the time that they were scheduled to have breakfast without advising the dining room. Our staff advised the guests of this and offered them various alternatives – including a later dining time or room service. You chose the latter but then complained that the breakfast did not accord with your order. However, you would not allow us to remedy the apparent error.
Despite every attempt to mollify you during your stay, Pat and her team were unable to please you. On checkout you encountered one of the teachers at reception, and you dressed her down and told her she was a disgrace to her school and that at no time was she in control of her children.
We generally have no problems with the occasional school group that stays with us. On the contrary – the children are generally impeccably behaved. We received no other complaints about the groups during the period of your stay. We are sorry that you were so distressed during your stay with us, but we believe that we made every attempt to make amends. We woudl hope to welcome you back again and assure you that Pat will go out of her way to make your stay as comfortable and pleasurable as possible. We wish you well. With regards – Guest Relations Director

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and myself stayed at TallTrees Canberra when we came down to the floriade in October 2013 we were very impressed with the accommodation that we were offered we found the room to very well presented very clean and lots of good lighting and plenty of room to move about , I would not hesitate to stay at Tall Trees again on our next visit to Canberra also I would like to say that the girls at reception were very polite and helpful . I must say we could not fault the place we are very very happy with everything Tall Trees had to offer:)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Linear5, Owner at Tall Trees Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear valued guest
We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write your review and for your wonderful compliments concerning the quality of the accommodation and the attitude or our hardworking team. We are most appreciative, and hope to to welcome you back again soon, and look forward to again offering you the outstanding level of service which you have so enthusiastically described. Best wishes - Guest Relations Team

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have stayed many times at this place and things are improving all the time. Breakfast has always been available and is very good. And now they have dinner at night. We had dinner last year in Oct 2012 and I must say, it was not good then. But this time, it was a complete turn around. The chef did wholesome well cooked food, which was tasty and a very pleasant experience. Nothing was too much bother for her or the waiting staff - well done to all of them. The reception staff and manager Pat, are also very friendly and helpful. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable and this standard continues to this day. Even with the fire alarm going off after someone left an iron on - at least we know it works!!!

Room Tip: We have always stayed in the main building where rooms are spacious. the outside rooms are small bu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

We thank you so much for your glowing review of our property, and your generous remarks concerning our General Manager, Pat, and her loyal and hard-working team. Your review is much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back again soon, and would hope that you will note that "it's even better" on the next occasion!. Warm wishes - Guest Relations Team