We travel to Canberra fairly regularly to visit friends. Our friends' home is too small for us to stay with them comfortably, so we choose to stay in hotels. This was probably the most positive experience we've had so far, but in saying that I will admit that previous experiences in Canberra have made my expectations somewhat low.
This hotel is in a good location if you're planning to sight-see - a short distance to Parliament House, the War Memorial and Questacon, a little further but not too far to Black Mountain Tower (which is ridiculously expensive by the way) and the zoo etc. Our friends live in Duffy and it didn't take too long to get there - although the dearth of hotels near Duffy drives me mad. As we had stayed at the Quality Hotel Woden last time and been most unimpressed we basically had no option but to look further afield.
Best thing about Rydges Capital Hill was the buffet breakfast, which was excellent. However, it would want to be for the price quoted - $24 per adult and $12 per child. Strangely, as we were checking out the clerk told us he was giving us a discounted rate for breakfast - $15 per adult and $8 per child. If we'd have known that upfront we probably would have eaten there both mornings. Bit of a weird way of doing business!
Our Superior Twin room was clean and adequate for our needs, seeing as basically all we did was sleep there. Did not use the TV or the internet. The bathroom needs towel rails - we would have been more than happy to use the same towels two days running had we been able to dry them! Many hotels now have a "leave the towels on rails if you're happy to reuse them, on the floor if you want fresh ones" policy, which I think is sensible.
My kids used the pool and enjoyed it. We did not use the gym, but would have been annoyed had we wanted to as we had not been told there would be a charge to do so. A pleasant surprise was the (limited space) free parking at the front of the hotel. We were expecting to have to pay to use the underground carpark but were grateful to have the other option (although we did not always get a space).
Most irritating thing was that our key-cards stopped working half way through our 48-hour stay. It didn't take long for the desk staff to fix when my husband ran downstairs to alert them, but when you trudge up to your hotel room at 10pm with 2 overtired exhausted children after being out for 12 hours, believe me it is not a pleasant surprise when your key won't work. If we can put man on the moon, you would think a hotel key could be programmed to work for the entire duration of someone's stay. Another minor gripe was that our room was not ready when we arrived (half an hour after our estimated arrival time) but I will say that it was ready within 5 minutes.
All in all, I would be happy to use this hotel again and it has only just missed out on a 4-star rating from me. There needs to be a rating between "Average" and "Very Good". This hotel was good, but not great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- FREE WIFI!! Rydges Capital Hill is the ideal Canberra hotel from which to base your stay in the Nation's Capital. Whether you are visiting for leisure or business, you'll find everything you need within close proximity at one of the best Canberra accommodation providers. This Canberra hotel is 500 metres from Parliament House, surrounded by the busy business districts of Barton and Parkes, walking distance to Manuka and Kingston, and close to most of Canberra's national attractions. The city is a 5 minute drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Rydges Capital Hill Canberra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Hotel Canberra
- Rydges Capital Hill Hotel Canberra
- Canberra Rydges Capital Hill