“Certainly not perfect, but would stay here again in preference to other Canberra hotels”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #32 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We travel to Canberra fairly regularly to visit friends. Our friends' home is too small for us to stay with them comfortably, so we choose to stay in hotels. This was probably the most positive experience we've had so far, but in saying that I will admit that previous experiences in Canberra have made my expectations somewhat low.

This hotel is in a good location if you're planning to sight-see - a short distance to Parliament House, the War Memorial and Questacon, a little further but not too far to Black Mountain Tower (which is ridiculously expensive by the way) and the zoo etc. Our friends live in Duffy and it didn't take too long to get there - although the dearth of hotels near Duffy drives me mad. As we had stayed at the Quality Hotel Woden last time and been most unimpressed we basically had no option but to look further afield.

Best thing about Rydges Capital Hill was the buffet breakfast, which was excellent. However, it would want to be for the price quoted - $24 per adult and $12 per child. Strangely, as we were checking out the clerk told us he was giving us a discounted rate for breakfast - $15 per adult and $8 per child. If we'd have known that upfront we probably would have eaten there both mornings. Bit of a weird way of doing business!

Our Superior Twin room was clean and adequate for our needs, seeing as basically all we did was sleep there. Did not use the TV or the internet. The bathroom needs towel rails - we would have been more than happy to use the same towels two days running had we been able to dry them! Many hotels now have a "leave the towels on rails if you're happy to reuse them, on the floor if you want fresh ones" policy, which I think is sensible.

My kids used the pool and enjoyed it. We did not use the gym, but would have been annoyed had we wanted to as we had not been told there would be a charge to do so. A pleasant surprise was the (limited space) free parking at the front of the hotel. We were expecting to have to pay to use the underground carpark but were grateful to have the other option (although we did not always get a space).

Most irritating thing was that our key-cards stopped working half way through our 48-hour stay. It didn't take long for the desk staff to fix when my husband ran downstairs to alert them, but when you trudge up to your hotel room at 10pm with 2 overtired exhausted children after being out for 12 hours, believe me it is not a pleasant surprise when your key won't work. If we can put man on the moon, you would think a hotel key could be programmed to work for the entire duration of someone's stay. Another minor gripe was that our room was not ready when we arrived (half an hour after our estimated arrival time) but I will say that it was ready within 5 minutes.

All in all, I would be happy to use this hotel again and it has only just missed out on a 4-star rating from me. There needs to be a rating between "Average" and "Very Good". This hotel was good, but not great.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Vegetarian_Aussie
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, May 2, 2010
Dear catnip_redroses

Thank you for your review of our hotel and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the buffet breakfast (and got a discount!) and the pool area.

It's so nice to read that you would stay with us again on your next stay and I hope I have the chance to welcome you back.

Karin Cook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Stayed in this hotel one night before a conference at the National Library. Be warned that Rydges Capital Hill is actually a bit of a hike from anything in the parliamentary district, and Canberra is not the most pedestrian-friendly city.

The room was nice and clean, but I loathe down pillows so the dream bed wasn't too dreamy for me.

The gym and sauna set-up was slightly weird, with guests needing to pay for the gym but not the sauna or pol. Also, the suana is not in the pool area, as is typical. The staff member working when I used these facilities didn't get ff the phone while he talked to me, but the sauna was hot and clean and the pool was an unusually decent size.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DiemEst
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, April 26, 2010
Dear DiemEst

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Sydney
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Two sisters and I were staying one night in Canberra and splashed out on an Embassy Suite in this hotel. Two of us expected to have sofa beds while one sister, whose birthday it was, would have the bedroom.

What an incredibly disappointment. There were marks, scratches and ever holes on every wall in the room - divots, I would call them. It looked as though someone had actually stolen half the furniture. And what was left was worn, scratched and incredibly perished. The bed head of the master bed was out of the 60s, with a dial radio. And not in a kitschy way. The two sofa beds were both made up with sheets that had holes in them.
If we had been staying more than one night and hadn't checked in so late we would have left immediately. It doesn't matter who friendly the staff were (and they were) when the basics of what you're paying for are so poor. Incredibly disappointing. I feel utterly ripped off.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angiskhan
caphill-7, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Dear Angiskhan

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of this hotel.

I would very much like more information about your stay so that I can find out which room you were in and investigate the issues with that room and also discuss your poor experience with you.

Please contact me via reservations_capitalhill@rydges.com

Many thanks
Megan Coelho

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Went down for Masterpieces of Paris, great location between airport and National Gallery, close to War Memorial, as well as a strip of restaurants at Manuka. Great service, good beds, spacious twin room. Only the carpet was a bit old and crusty, everything else was good.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Dear ktmaree

Thanks for your review of our hotel. It sounds like you had a great stay in Canberra.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Melbourne
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Very spacious suite. King Size master bedroom, bathroom, second bedroom for children, second bathroom, lounge room, dining room, kitchenette.
Very clean, spacious and comfortable suite, ideal for family with children. The suite was well cleaned though the furnishings were a little tired and worn.
Excellent restaurant. Friendly and helpful staff. Would stay here again. Better than Hyatt and nowhere near as costly.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
Hi Abbiestar

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our Fitzroy Suite to be ideal for your family.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Hotel was great for a one night stop in Canberra. Reception and food and bev staff lovely, food was very good. Rooms also comfortable and well set up to provide the ability to work for several hours. I'm 7.5 mths pregnant so the bed was very soft and made moving in bed cumbersome but a normal person would prob find quite suitable. Nice room temp and great bath!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Dear Chileandreamin

Thanks so much for posting your review of our hotel. It’s great to read that you found the staff lovely and the food to be very good. I’ve passed your kind words onto the team.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel after the little one is born.

Brisbane
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We had a lovely stay at Rydges Capital Hill. THe food was first class, the service exemplary and although the rooms are an old style thay are very clean. But best of all the beds are to die for. So comfortable. Will stay there again any time I return to Canberra

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Dear Lizard8

Thanks for sharing your review about our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am so glad you had such a great time and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back again.