“Not too Bad at all and a great location”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed December 23, 2008

Seemed to me to be a pretty good hotel overall. It was a business stay but the place was clean and tidy, has obviously been done up recently and broadband speeds were OK. I was a bit concerned when I booked at Rydges Capital Hill after having read the previous reviews but I had no choice nothing else was available, all I can say is that the previous reviewers must be pretty hard markers. I am a corporate traveller and spend three weeks a month in four star hotels somewhere in Australia. Yes some of the comments about the property starting to show some age are probably accurate but it seems to have had a fairly thorough refurbishing, new carpets and new arm chairs everywhere and also new (and very comfortable) beds. Reception area was nice and the staff were very efficient and extremely pleasant when I checked in. I thought the gym was pretty good but I absolutely loved the 25m lap pool (heated and inside). Yes the case goods had a few marks but who cares, just some signs of use, anyways you just put your gear on it. For me the making of my trip was generated by the friendly staff, they were just great. As I said I stay a lot in four star hotels and Rydges Capital Hill certainly isint the newest property but the staff made the difference to me, you can get a new room anywhere but people who make you feel at home are hard to find and to me make the difference. Almost forgot, the location is awesome, the food at the hotel was, I thought, above average, but just down the road is the Manuka area with an abundance of good and a few great restaurants, I have previously stayed in the city, never again nothing to do or anywhere to eat. I'll be staying here again, even if it is a bit expensive in the busy parliament season.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2009

Thank you for your recent review of Rydges Capital Hill. We appreciate your feedback as some of our greatest improvements are a result of guest's feedback.

It was pleasing to read you found out Dream Beds to be extremely comfortable. They have certainly proven to be popular since they were introduced almost two years ago.

It is pleasing to hear that you had a positive dining experience in the Fig Tree Café. We pride ourselves on providing an extremely high standard of service and food. Your comments have been passed on to our Executive Chef.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us. We look forward to having the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2008

I have stayed at many Ridges and consider the chain to be of good quality and great value for money. Rydges Capital Hill was a dissapointment. It certainly looks 'well aged'. Staff was friendly and efficient. The room was very large and clean. Now to the problems. On two occasions the key did not work and needed to be reset. The room has a seperate sink for coffee making. It unfortunately smelled terribly of raw sewage! We flushed it but there still was a bad smell. I always book hotels with a sauna. The sauna here was filthy and barely warm. The temperatura was not adjustable - totaly useless and in real terms non operational. The pool was nice and large. The spa was out of order. The place needs a major refurbishment. I did not complain to staff about any of the issues. I somehow did not think they realy care very much. I will not come back.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2008

Thankyou for your review regarding your most recent stay at Rydges Capital Hill.

I am sorry that you found the sink in your room contained a bad odour. I have raised this issue with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that this problem will not occur in the future. You will be pleased to know that the indoor spa has since been repaired since your last stay.

We do appreciate hearing from our Guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service levels and accommodation standards.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us. I look forward to remedying our deficiencies and welcoming you back to improved service standards in the future.

Rydges Capital Hill

Reviewed October 27, 2008

Unfortunately I had already booked this hotel when I read the reviews on Trip Advisor, otherwise I would not have booked it and sadly most of the reviews of this hotel are very accurate.

The reception was nice and neat and the check-in was perfect... Over and done with in under two minutes. We got to the 'Superior' room and found the room in serious need of a refurbishment. The wood work was scratched and even had a cigarette burn near the large CRT TV, the light switches were old and tatty, the thermostat looked like it came from my nan's house and the general look of the room was tatty and very tired looking. The bathroom was old, the head of the bath was next to the toilet and there was a towel rail right over the bath and was very easy to bash into whilst having a shower in the over bath shower. (Other guests may have heard my wife shouting when she head butted it)
The restaurant too was very tired looking, had a worn out carpet on the ramp and needed a damn good vacuuming. The large windows in the restaurant could do with a good clean too.

The first breakfast was ok and the standard buffet that most hotels provide, although we found the restaurant was very cold in the morning. Perhaps that is why the person who booked us in for breakfast said that there were some 'Nice sunny tables near the window'. That is because it is the only heating!

The next night we were advised that there was a wedding reception being held, so there may be some noise and to let them know if there was anything they could do. At 9pm I went to the reception and told them that the room was very noisy and I had the TV turned up full and still couldn't hear it and requested a quieter room, however they said that they were fully booked. Perhaps that was why the car park and hotel was empty... maybe they all came by bus and had gone out for dinner for the evening.

The next morning the restaurant was chilly again and the food was cold too. Not very healthy having scrambled egg sitting at a luke warm temperature for a long time. In addition, newly cooked food was put on top of the older food. I pitty the poor person who ended up with the things at the bottom. I mentioned this on checkout and they just said thanks for letting them know.

The Rydges chain is generally a reliable and good quality hotel chain, however the Rydges Capitol Hill hotel lets them down quite considerably.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pabloako
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2009

Thank you for reviewing Rydges Capital Hill.

I am pleased to hear that you found our Reception Staff to be friendly and efficient. I have passed on your kind comments to the Reception Team.

Please be assured I have taken your comments on board regarding the Décor in your room. Past experience has proven that some of our greatest improvements have come as a result of guest’s feedback.

I apologise for the lack of consistency at our Breakfast Buffet. We strive to offer the highest service, quality and cleanliness that we can to our guests and breakfast is extremely popular amongst our guests. I have passed on your comments to our Food and Beverage Manager.

Once again thank you for sharing your observations with us, I do sincerely hope I can welcome you back to our Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed September 17, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions, on each of which it was difficult to find alternative accomodation in Canberra. The hotel decor is outdated and tatty in parts. They charge like wounded bulls: $10 a day to park under the hotel (on its own property, mind you); $29 a day for unreliable internet; and, incredibly, $8.80 for hotel guests to use a failry average gym. The computers in the so-called 'business centre' were very old and their screens burnt out. There is a 1.5 per cent charge to pay with credit cards when you check out! This property only stays in business due to a general shortage of accommodation in Canberra, and a definite scarcity of hotel type accommodation in the parliamentary precinct although there is the new Hotel Realm nearby which while more expensive is a much, much, much better option. That said, the Rydges charged me $300 for a room that was not even a three star in terms of fit out and facilities. Never, ever again ...

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank tassy3
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2008

Thank you your recent stay with our property. I apologise for the disappointing stay you experienced - we do pride ourselves on our customer service and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your comments regarding your room. We have recently become involved in a Rydges group wide revitalization program which has seen us purchase new beds, glass workstations and ergonomic chairs. We hope to continue these works in the very near future with the addition of new plasma televisions and re-modelled bathrooms.

As the Capital Hill Health Club operates as an external business, the Health Club manager is more than happy to provide guests of Rydges Capital Hill access at a discounted price.

There is no profit margin included in the Rydges credit card transaction fee. The fees are set at a level which assists us to recover merchant fee costs. Any future reductions in the merchant fees charged to Rydges will be immediately passed onto our guests.

Patrick Lonergan

2  Thank Dino-mite

Reviewed August 7, 2008

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JIBMelbourne
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2008