“Great Value in Canberra”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stayed for two nights in March. The hotel is a little dated now but maintained very well. The location is excellent being close to the City Centre and a short walk to bustling Manuka (think bars, cafes, shopping.)
Our deal, from Rydges Priority Club, included free wifi, buffet breakfast, undercover parking and tickets to the Inca Gold exhibition at the National Gallery (20 minute easy walk).
Staff were very friendly and informative about what to do and where to eat.
Great beds but bathrooms are ready for a makeover! Indoor pool and spa looks good.
For the money, this spot is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a safe...some rooms do not have them. Don't forget your swimmers...excellent...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMCapHill, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Location is all important; I was also pleased to read that you found Manuka nearby for shopping, cafes and cinema.

There is certainly a lot happening in the area, the National Gallery has a fantastic program of visiting exhibitions, including “Gold & the Incas” which runs until later in April.

I hope we see you again soon.

jon_ackary@rydges.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My choice of hotel when coming to Canberra. Comfiest bed, quiet rooms, good business facilities. Good restaurant
Good towels and toiletries.
Join the Rydges Priority club for exceptional value.
Have used meeting facilities too, not bad. Friendly staff. $10 to use gym a bit rude.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay particularly mentioning quiet rooms and good restaurant.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on friendly staff they try hard to please and the feedback is much appreciated.
I’m happy to discuss deals on the Gym for regular guests, feel free to contact me on the email below.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Hotel side of things is nice enough. Personally i enjoy sitting back of an evening and watching my own media collection of TV shows and movies. Unfortunately this is the first hotel i have been to that has disabled their HDMI inputs.

Another user has commented on this previously. Management commented that it would be fixed. Currently hasn't been.

If this isn't an issue for you, then the hotel is nice and enjoyable, the rooms are large but walls are thin. I can hear next door moving about their bathroom.

For me it's back to the Realm.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
GMCapHill, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Last year we removed the Pay per View Movies and installed free WIFI. At this time the HDMI ports which were due to be unlocked as part of the process were missed.

My sincere apologies for our oversight, we will unlock ALL the TV HDMI ports within the next 2 weeks I understand the Duty Manager unlocked yours after you advised us on the night of your stay.

I was pleased to read that the Hotel was otherwise comfortable and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit to Canberra.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel ( this weekend) for a relaxing weekend break and celebrating our anniversary and we were certainly very happy with our stay. I am a rydges member and i was welcomed back with great service. I have stayed here previously and it was just as great as i remembered! I originally booked a queen room and when i checked in we found to our great surpise we were upgraded to a king spa suite, we were very happy ..the location was close to everything..a short stroll to manuka and kingston shops , plenty of parking and customer service by the staff were great! thank you for the lovely relaxing stay :) we are so happy we are coming back over the easter break we enjoyed it that much!! oh and also free wifi makes a difference to a stay i think! the upgrade looks wonderful!

Room Tip: become a rydges member there is def perks...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMCapHill, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Your review was very kind; I think the King Spa Suites are especially great value for around the $200 mark (most weekend nights) even better if you can swing an upgrade – well done!!

Happy anniversary, we look forward to seeing you at Easter.

Warm regards

Reviewed March 7, 2014

After I booked this hotel, I read some reviews and thought I might have made a mistake. I didn't. A nice low rise hotel with excellent staff and facilities. We were given a corner room that had lots of space, was quiet, clean and private. We enjoyed the drinks on the terrace at the end of the day. A short walk to cafes, shops and parliament house. The car was housed in easy to access parking. We could see there were places where parking was tight, but not where we parked.We visited during the week so we had a choice of where to park. We'll be going back and taking our bathers for a swim in the pool next time.

Room Tip: The corner room was spacious and private
1  Thank 881Anne

I am glad that you stayed with us despite some trepidation, especially appreciate your comment regarding “Excellent Staff”. Our location is great Manuka a short easy stroll away, with a decent Cinema and interesting shopping – I was a fan of the area before I came to live here.

Thanks for your kind comments, I hope we see you back soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Upfront I would like to state that I am a Premium Rydges member and was staying on a Reward night. Like other reviewers I was disappointed with the so called "refurbished" rooms. The last time I stayed at this property was probably about 5 years ago and I couldn't see any major improvements to the room. Following is a summary of my experience:

Pluses:
Generous room size
Comfortable bed
Generous bathroom size
Room service for dinner was good - I requested a fruit salad which wasn't on the menu and the Chef was very obliging (and generous in portion size) - thank you
Parking can be a problem but as the hotel wasn't busy during my stay there were plenty of spots available at $12 per day
Good wi fi access

Minus:
Air-conditioning took a while to crank in and I do mean "crank" in - it was noisy
Had asked for a room in quiet location and got a room overlooking very busy road
"Refurbished" decor was disappointing. My room looked like nothing on the website. Apart from new carpet, a lick of paint and a few soft furnishings, the bathroom is very old - dated tiles and fixtures. The toilet obviously had a new lid but big crack in toilet. It was functional - so that was good.
No amenity kit - and sadly I forgot my toothpaste this trip!!!
Not sure why I received an email saying I could check out on line - only to try and do this and my account showed a room charge for the night. I had no choice but to go to Reception to check out to make sure I wasn't charged for the room and have points deducted for a Reward night.

Had I have to pay $250 for this room, I would have been very disappointed indeed. I thought the whole idea of a reward scheme was to reward your frequent stayers. Virgin and Hyatt do this very well. I felt I was given a very ordinary room and considering the hotel was no where near busy, I would have thought Rydges would have been better off rewarding a Platinum member with a decent room.

On reflection The Lakeside property may be a better location as it is located in close proximity (easy walking distance) to New Acton where there is a vibrant restaurant/bar scene and Palace Electra for entertainment.

Sorry Capital Hill - not happy from this stay :-( I feel this property is not much better than a motel.

Room Tip: Not sure what to suggest.....
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SydneyGlobalShopper

Thanks for the constructive feedback we’ll certainly work on improving in those areas you mention.

While over $1Million was spent on the refurbishment, this did not include the bathrooms which will be done at a later time. I am a bit confused by your comment that your room looked nothing like the website; the photos are recent and accurate?

We would typically upgrade a Platinum member unless the Suites are pre sold, let me know if you are coming back and I can make sure you get a great room. Also when checking this morning there were about 500 toothbrush kits at reception, my apologies if we were out of stock at the time of your stay.

Thank you for your courtesy and interest please visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Excellent location just out of the CBD. Reception staff very pleasant and helpful. Room was very good, clean, neat and more than adequate in size. Bathroom could do with a remodel to match the updated room. Parking can be a problem when the facility is full as the spaces are VERY tight.
Stayed Friday & Saturday nights, and was excellent value for money. Didn’t eat in so can’t comment on restaurant or breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John148m
GMCapHill, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

I was pleased to read that our location worked for you and especially the kind comments regarding staff.

Hopefully we can entice you to eat in our Bar or restaurant next time.

Thanks again, please visit us again soon.