“One of my top favourites thus far”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #32 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Brisbane, Australia
“One of my top favourites thus far”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I only stayed at Rydges Capital Hill for a night, but it is definitely a great place that I'd consider returning to. Free internet and WiFi everywhere in the hotel. Free printing facilities. Both of these were a godsend as I needed last minute printing late at night before an early morning meeting the following day. Nowhere I've stayed has offered this before. The room was very comfortable and very well presented.

It's close to many government departments, but not the best location for access to the city and many other attractions. But since I was traveling for business, the location couldn't have been any better. Sahil at the concierge was extremely helpful and very friendly!

Room Tip: My room was the first in the hallway that's opposite reception and it was quiet and easy to acce...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim V
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Your review is very kind we appreciate your endorsement of our Hotel very much.

The free WiFi and Apple PC’s are proving to be a great investment; very pleased we were of assistance with your meeting the following day.

Trusting we see you again soon, hopefully for a longer stay.

jon_ackary@rydges.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel was in a great location for accommodation whilst attending a family wedding at Old Parliament House. We stayed in a suite on the third floor with views of new Parliament House whilst other family members stayed in deluxe rooms which had no outside view but windows facing the atrium. The suite was very clean and spacious with separate living and bedroom areas, large walkin robe area and very spacious bathroom. Deluxe rooms were also very clean and quite spacious, bigger than your usual hotel room. Whilst you can see some refurbishment of furniture, bathrooms and cupboards could do with a makeover. Shower over the bath in deluxe rooms could be a hazard for some elderly guests. Breakfast was a reasonable quality and buffet style. If you like a decent coffee at breakfast, order a coffee rather than attempt one made at the machine at the coffee station... it's well worth the extra couple of dollars. The hotel has secure undercover parking if you have a car and is only a short drive or manageable walk to Manuka which has some very good eateries and neighbourhood shops. We got a great deal by joining their Priority Guest Rewards program at the time of making our reservation.
But the beds.... they're heavenly... felt like we were sleeping on a cloud!
Would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again and recommend to anyone looking for accommodation in Canberra.

Room Tip: A suite will provide a view of the outdoors and let in natural light.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I’m really pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel especially the “Rydges Dream Bed”; we’re actually doing quite good business selling them on our website.

We’re continually working on Breakfast and recently changed the coffee machine; I was also not a great fan of the previous product. We’ve gone to drip filter which is great as long as we keep it fresh, which we will.

While bedrooms were refurbished earlier in the year, there is some painting to complete and the bathrooms will have be a project for the future. There are photos on this website which are accurate if anyone has serious concerns, personally I really like the bathrooms in King Spa Suites which typically cost not much more than a Queen Room.

Thanks again, I hope we see you back in Canberra soon for a great night’s sleep!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights as my partner was attending a science fiction convention being held at the hotel. The rooms have recently been refurbished and were comfortable and clean. They were large and contained a sofa and coffee table, as well as a work desk and chair. The bathrooms could possible do with some updating in the future. The hand basin in our room (262) had 3 noticeable cracks in it, and really should be replaced. Breakfast on three of the days we stayed was quite busy, as the convention attendees were given an excellent "bed and breakfast" rate. The food was plentiful and of a high standard and the staff cleared the tables efficiently and promptly. The 'juice shots' were fantastic!
When we arrived there had been a mistake made with our booking, but this was promptly and efficiently rectified by staff. When we left, the staff also offered to store our bags, and then called us a taxi when we were ready to leave. The spa and lap pool were a welcome addition to the facilities. The hotel does have a '1980's' feel about it, but l loved that, especially the spaciousness of the common areas, the atrium and lightwells along the corridors.
Rydges is within easy walking distance of Manuka, with it's array of trendy cafes, a supermarket, newsagency etc. It is a slightly longer walk (15 mins) to Griffith which again has a range of cafes
A bus stop is outside the hotel, although it is an infrequent service. A 10 min walk to Brisbane Ave connects you with frequent bus services into the City ( a short 10 minute trip).

I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the internal atrium could be dark, or noisy, l suggest an outward facing room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carrie C
Thanks for such a comprehensive review you can certainly get a great feel for a Hotel with an extended stay.

I think the location close to Manuka and Griffith is a great asset, very green and still plenty to do.

I’ll follow up that comment regarding the bathroom, appreciate the comment and hope we see you back again soon.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Capital Hill Rydges is well located with a welcoming foyer. The surroundings are green and pleasant.The restaurants are good with happy staff to serve. The room I stayed were clean but but dated. The toilets were clean but had old fittings and repeated marks of maintenance were visible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Location is all important; I was also pleased to read that you found the Hotel clean and welcoming.

There is certainly a lot happening in the area, my personal favourite is the National Gallery which has a fantastic program of visiting exhibitions. Commencing June 1st “Turner from the Tate” will showcase works from that acclaimed English landscape artist and runs until September.

I hope we see you again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 3, 2013

TripAdvisor's rating system baffles me - 3/5 is average, but 4/5 is very good? I'd like to give this hotel 3.5 out of five green dots, please. I enjoyed my stay, and things were generally good, but a couple of minor things marred the experience.

As other people have pointed out, the hotel is clean and comfortable, but could use a refresh. I found a cigarette burn on the sofa (room 186) and the furniture and fittings could be newer. I can see that the place is in the process of being refurbished, so I won't complain any more. I've a feeling that they place will be extraordinary when everything's done.

Breakfast was included, and was a delight, but the current situation with the restaurant (where a la carte meals take up to 40 minutes) is a bit slow. Staff seemed to genuinely want to help, but clearly things are also in flux as far as the hotel's dining establishments - and I don't understand why there's a bar that only opens at 4.30pm, and doesn't open on Sundays. As a convention venue, this was quite good, because there were loads of public spaces and because the hotel generally was spacious and comfortable, but if only the bar was open for longer hours ...

All in all, this is a hotel headed for greatness, once the issues with dining are sorted out, and once the rooms are properly renovated and fitted out. I'm looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Devin J
Found the cigarette burn in room 186 and replaced the cushion – pretty slack that it was you who picked it up, please accept our apologies for the poor attention.

I was pleased to read that otherwise you enjoyed staying with us (apart from the wait for food), we’re working to build the bar trade up and make sure it’s open more often, hopefully we’ll see you at CONFLUX next year.

Oh, and we’re repainting as I write so it will all be a bit brighter next time.

London
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Booked a superior twin room for a one night for our weekend in Canberra ... we had a voucher which included undercover parking and breakfast for two adults and reduced the tariff substantially.

The room, while spacious with two double beds, was narrower that the one pictured on the hotel's website, though was (just) large enough to fit our infant's travel cot (which was the reason why a larger room was booked in the first place).

The hotel itself has a dated feel to it, and while our room was clean enough and in decent condition, it didn't give the impression that it had been recently refurbished - maybe a year ago - as the grouting in the bathroom (see attached pics), the air-conditioning unit (which was quite old and seemed to have 2 settings - either too warm or too cold) and other fixtures and fittings, let down any feel that it had been given a recent makeover ... certainly, the blurb on the hotel's website that all rooms are "newly refurbished" seems a little far fetched ... it may be that renovations have been completed recently, but have been ongoing for a while.

The breakfast was of an acceptable and consistent standard with a good choice of cereals, hot food (English breakfast), breads, spreads, beverages etc - certainly enough to fill up on - but IMHO not worth the standard price of $20-25 per person. Service was also a bit on the slow side.

Overall, our stay was good for the price paid, but would have been disappointed to have paid full price ... have therefore given a rating of 4 stars, but would have been 3 otherwise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank marknmeils
I was sorry to hear you felt cramped, I’m sure we could organise a bigger room next time feel free to email me directly if you are coming back.

Thanks again, hopefully we’ll see you again.

Perth, AU
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had a King Spa room, which from the online photos, was the only way we were going to stay in the hotel. I asked for wine for the room on booking, and then a few days before requested this to be changed to Champagne. I spoke to the representative to ensure that this would be in the room, or would be delivered soon after arrival. Turns out that didn't work out, which was disappointing..

Overall the room was dated, but the location is very good. Staff overall were good from front reception to the bar and room service.

Next time we head across we will try a different place. If you want an OK room and a great location to Parliament then it's hard to go pass Rydges.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hmmm.... you’re a bit ambivalent we should try harder and do better.

We’ve refurbished and replaced a lot of the furniture this year and need to do a bit more painting which will brighten the place up a lot. I Hope you will accept my apologies for the missing champagne, I’d be delighted to shout you one if you happen to visit us again, my email is below.