“CONFLUX VISITOR”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed May 3, 2013

TripAdvisor's rating system baffles me - 3/5 is average, but 4/5 is very good? I'd like to give this hotel 3.5 out of five green dots, please. I enjoyed my stay, and things were generally good, but a couple of minor things marred the experience.

As other people have pointed out, the hotel is clean and comfortable, but could use a refresh. I found a cigarette burn on the sofa (room 186) and the furniture and fittings could be newer. I can see that the place is in the process of being refurbished, so I won't complain any more. I've a feeling that they place will be extraordinary when everything's done.

Breakfast was included, and was a delight, but the current situation with the restaurant (where a la carte meals take up to 40 minutes) is a bit slow. Staff seemed to genuinely want to help, but clearly things are also in flux as far as the hotel's dining establishments - and I don't understand why there's a bar that only opens at 4.30pm, and doesn't open on Sundays. As a convention venue, this was quite good, because there were loads of public spaces and because the hotel generally was spacious and comfortable, but if only the bar was open for longer hours ...

All in all, this is a hotel headed for greatness, once the issues with dining are sorted out, and once the rooms are properly renovated and fitted out. I'm looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Devin J
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Found the cigarette burn in room 186 and replaced the cushion – pretty slack that it was you who picked it up, please accept our apologies for the poor attention.

I was pleased to read that otherwise you enjoyed staying with us (apart from the wait for food), we’re working to build the bar trade up and make sure it’s open more often, hopefully we’ll see you at CONFLUX next year.

Oh, and we’re repainting as I write so it will all be a bit brighter next time.

jon_ackary@rydges.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Booked a superior twin room for a one night for our weekend in Canberra ... we had a voucher which included undercover parking and breakfast for two adults and reduced the tariff substantially.

The room, while spacious with two double beds, was narrower that the one pictured on the hotel's website, though was (just) large enough to fit our infant's travel cot (which was the reason why a larger room was booked in the first place).

The hotel itself has a dated feel to it, and while our room was clean enough and in decent condition, it didn't give the impression that it had been recently refurbished - maybe a year ago - as the grouting in the bathroom (see attached pics), the air-conditioning unit (which was quite old and seemed to have 2 settings - either too warm or too cold) and other fixtures and fittings, let down any feel that it had been given a recent makeover ... certainly, the blurb on the hotel's website that all rooms are "newly refurbished" seems a little far fetched ... it may be that renovations have been completed recently, but have been ongoing for a while.

The breakfast was of an acceptable and consistent standard with a good choice of cereals, hot food (English breakfast), breads, spreads, beverages etc - certainly enough to fill up on - but IMHO not worth the standard price of $20-25 per person. Service was also a bit on the slow side.

Overall, our stay was good for the price paid, but would have been disappointed to have paid full price ... have therefore given a rating of 4 stars, but would have been 3 otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank marknmeils

I was sorry to hear you felt cramped, I’m sure we could organise a bigger room next time feel free to email me directly if you are coming back.

Thanks again, hopefully we’ll see you again.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had a King Spa room, which from the online photos, was the only way we were going to stay in the hotel. I asked for wine for the room on booking, and then a few days before requested this to be changed to Champagne. I spoke to the representative to ensure that this would be in the room, or would be delivered soon after arrival. Turns out that didn't work out, which was disappointing..

Overall the room was dated, but the location is very good. Staff overall were good from front reception to the bar and room service.

Next time we head across we will try a different place. If you want an OK room and a great location to Parliament then it's hard to go pass Rydges.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hmmm.... you’re a bit ambivalent we should try harder and do better.

We’ve refurbished and replaced a lot of the furniture this year and need to do a bit more painting which will brighten the place up a lot. I Hope you will accept my apologies for the missing champagne, I’d be delighted to shout you one if you happen to visit us again, my email is below.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have been coming to this hotel for years because the location is great - close to Canberra attractions and also to Manuka shops for cafes and restaurants and to Kingston Markets on a Sunday morning. The rooms are large so the family can comfortably fit into one room, there is a nice indoor pool and the buffet breakfast is good. The only negative is that the place is starting to look a bit tired and they seem to be a bit short of staff at breakfast, so it takes a while for dishes to be replenished. Also no one in the health club knew how to work the spa and get it to heat up as pool care seemed to have been outsourced.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank redspottedkerchief
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thanks for the positive review on location, big rooms, pool and breakfast.

I note that there were a couple of areas of concern and assure you we will do our best to deal with “tired” rooms and staff levels at breakfast, please accept my sincere apologies for any lapses on this last visit.

We appreciate your courtesy and interest, please stay again soon.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

im writing this review on Rydges Canberra as the hotel was beautifully clean , but thats where my praise stops, i was at a wedding there and among the guests we found major inconsistencies starting with booking in we were told when i booked 4 rooms that they would be together, at least
we were on the same floor other members had families split up on different floors.
when the parking was asked about again there was major confusion as some of my family was told that they had to pay for parking and others told it was complimentary for guests.
and finally breakfast, to have breakfast, it was 30 dollars,if you stayed in the hotel you could get a discount to bring it down to $20 and the some people got there breakfast for nothing and that was someone who had already checked out , my daughter was told it was complimentary and it was then charged to my room....happy NOT would never use this hotel again ,and i kniow this will be removed because apparently you can only leave positive advice on trip advisor.. so how much faith does this give you in this site

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank blb2802

Please accept my sincere apologies for any poor communication on our part during your stay. That this review is on Tripadvisor should alleviate your concerns about only positive reviews being allowed.

Just to clarify a few of your comments:

1. Our Buffet Breakfast is $25; however if you “pre commit” the night before we will charge an additional $20 per person to your room rate, saving $5 pp. Why? It assists us to organise quantities of food & staff.
2. Undercover parking with security access is $12.50 per night; however we do have some Packages with parking built into the rate. It will be clearly written in the confirmation. There are a small number of outside car spaces available FOC.
3. We do not charge $30 for breakfast.

I’m sure we can do better and I hope you change your mind about our hotel, please email me if I can be of any personal assistance.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in the king spa room. We had originally booked a standard room but were given a free upgrade just for being polite and courteous to our attendant booking us in. It is very easy to be kind but very few people seem to be able to do that these days.
We got a free buffet breakfast with our original booking and were very impressed at the options available. The food was beautifully cooked and there was plenty of it. From toast, cereal, and bakery items (muffins, croissants, etc) to bacon, eggs, spinach, mushrooms and sausages. We could want for nothing. They had many juices and even juice shots like beet root and ginger for us to have. Very elegant and well worth any and every cent.
The room was very spacious and the spa was devine.
We had booked in for a hot air balloon that was cancelled due to bad weather. But we will definitely stay there again when we re-book our flight. Maybe I'll get a free room because of the great review?? :-)
Can not wait to come back again.

Room Tip: Even if you only have time for a 30 minute spa. I high,y recommend a spa room! Very affordable and e...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

“Affordable Luxury” what a great compliment! Thanks so much.

I like the cheeky line re FOC and know you didn’t really mean it, although you’re right to be kind to the Receptionist you just never know how far it will get you.

I was very pleased to read your comments regarding breakfast; we have put considerable time and resources into getting it right – great that our guests are noticing.

Thanks again, please visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stay at Rydges on business and have to say that it is convenient as I do business at Woden and Belconnon. You always know what you can expect at a Rydges - A great "dream" bed and breakfast. My room 329 was excellent. New carpet made the room bright. Only down fall is the bathrooms need a revamp because they are getting on with age. Check in and out is a breeze at Capital Hill. For the money (join the Rydges Priority for free) its excellent otherwise its expensive.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3 rd floor looking into the building. But don,t get a room next to the lift, they...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll look into that noisy lift and check where we are with bathroom maintenance. While I don’t have the money at present to totally replace the bathrooms we are re-grouting continually which makes a difference.

I hope you continue staying with us continue to notice improvement in our operation of the Hotel.